E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Jan 31, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,157 of 1,483
DSC08004.jpg

Despite being an unbalanced source, the E1DA 9038D is more than powerful enough to drive any of the portable headphones I have in my inventory to dangerous volumes. I find the 9038D to be totally transparent.

For those who primarily listen to IEMs or efficient over-ear headphones, the E1DA 9038D is a capable alternative to a desktop stack, and I give it my unqualified recommendation for this purpose. It is less-suited for use as a dongle replacement given its high power draw but is usable in a portable context with a dedicated audio transport device.

My full review, with power draw measurements and additional images, can be found on my blog:

https://medium.com/bedrock-reviews/e1da-9038d-impressions-8458ba8aa441

Feb 8, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #1,158 of 1,483
Can someone help.
I am planning to buy PowerDAC V2.
Would I be able to Iisten to any of the normal 3.5mm headphones and in earphones with it?
What kind of adapter do I need for cheap $50 headphones (not balanced) ?
Any link for purchase?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #1,159 of 1,483
Can someone help.
I am planning to buy PowerDAC V2.
Can I Iisten to any of the headphones and in earphones with it?
What kind of adapter do I need for cheap $50 headphones (not balanced) ?
Any link for purchase?
You need balanced cables for the head/earphones.
Can't use an adapter from balanced to regular 3.5mm as will damage the device.

Feb 8, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #1,161 of 1,483
and with this balanced cable I would be able to use any of my normal cheap 3.5mm headphones? Would this cable work as an adapter? Can you provide me with a link to purchase? Thank you

The balanced cable would completely replace the existing headphone cable, so your headphone would need to have connectors on the earcups for that to happen.
if you share a link to the headphones you have then we can let you know if it would be possible.

Any reason why you are considering the PDV2 rather than 9038D which is designed for standard 3.5mm connection?

Feb 13, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #1,164 of 1,483
Will 9038d sound better with separate powering from linear psu (vs usb powering from PC)? Or it stabilizes power good enough?
I'm not sure how you would do that, USB devices need a digital source that means a bunch of clocks and generated digital noise, be it or DAP, PC or whatever to drive them so no matter what PSU is used there will always be a level of digital noise sent over the USB link. Does it even matter if a digital source is powered with a linear PSU?

Perhaps a better way to ask this question would be what device can I connect this too that has the lowest guaranteed digital noise over its USB connection?

Also look at adding Ferrites and filters to the USB connection, that would have more gains than using a linear PSU.

Feb 16, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #1,167 of 1,483
Sounds intruiging! Which filters exactly and which ferrites ? Could you maybe provide an example link ? My 9038s and q5x sound good over usb. but such easy addons are always welcome !!
If that question was aimed at me then I would say I don't really know because I've never tried any. I do get some 4G related noise but I believe that is being transferred via the headphone cable and not the USB connection so a ferrite may help to reduce that noise there but that is just a guess as I haven't really bothered to investigate it.

Feb 16, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #1,168 of 1,483
If that question was aimed at me then I would say I don't really know because I've never tried any. I do get some 4G related noise but I believe that is being transferred via the headphone cable and not the USB connection so a ferrite may help to reduce that noise there but that is just a guess as I haven't really bothered to investigate it.
I have tried ferrite clamps on the USB cable and does not help the LTE related noise my 9038s gen2.

These were the ones I used. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E6PLXZ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wouldn’t waste my money on these. Whether the noise is picked up by the cable, or it is picked up by an improperly shield chip or trace in the device, this seems to be an issue we have to deal with, unless you shut off cellular. This is not solely a problem with the 9038s. I have had this on several other dongles - only when cellular is turned on, never off, and never with only wifi running. But this is just my experience.

Feb 16, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #1,170 of 1,483
Yes sorry , it was aimed at you. I messed up the part-quote somehow.
If there is a possiblity to get better usb sound quality through some simple gadgets, I'm all for it. I've see pictures of guys using ifi usb noise suppressors and 2 of those large ferret magnets.
Does that actually increase quality or is it mostly unneccesary klutzy weight?
I have some old Ferrits, but the ifi is too expensive for a questionable improvement.

Shouldnt' there be very low noise and distortion on purely battery powered systems anyway , vs a wall plugged (interferences ?) Desktop amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back