E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Mar 5, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #1,186 of 1,481
I have to listen very very carefully to hear the difference when switching the various filter options on any of these DAC chip, I certainly couldn't tell you which filter is being used just by listening, I must be lucky. :wink:

I can have a "guess" as to what manufacturer's chip a particular DAC is using but I think the circuit makes a bigger difference to the sound, I must be lucky. :)

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #1,187 of 1,481
I have to listen very very carefully to hear the difference when switching the various filter options on any of these DAC chip, I certainly couldn't tell you which filter is being used just by listening, I must be lucky. :wink:

I can have a "guess" as to what manufacturer's chip a particular DAC is using but I think the circuit makes a bigger difference to the sound, I must be lucky. :)
Imo filters don't do crap, I tend to always use minimum phase slow for fastest latency.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #1,188 of 1,481
I tried the 9038D with the Shanling M0, and it is not capable of driving the 9038D, with the Hiby R5, the minimum volume is to high, and with the A&K SR-25 it doesn´t control the volume at all, it is always set to maximum.

It works very well with my Samsung S20, specially with Tidal, and with the UAPP app. It also works very well with my notebook using Audirvana
out of curiosity why would anyone pair this portable DAC/AMP with a much more powerful DAP? Not its intended use case.

Mar 14, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #1,189 of 1,481
Just ordered the 9038D. Looking forward to playing with the app and dongle. Will use it with my laptop and probably my S10+ in the car. Ordered and have the OTG cable that was suggested on the Sparrow forum, the OE OTG Digital Cable fro OE Audio-took forever to get here but now I'm prepared for the EMI...I hope. Has anyone tried this OTG cable with the 9038D?

Mar 14, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #1,190 of 1,481

Thanks for sharing, that looks like a good pairing. I ordered a few just in case they are poor quality and break easily (hopefully that's not the case, and it seems less likely since they are entirely rigid and therefore not subject to fraying like cables are). It might be good to recommend to Linsoul that they sell this sort of adapter with their amps.
Also, the connection between the cable and amp looks a little loose in the photo; is that an issue at all, would it help to secure the amp to the phone with a silicone band, velcro, etc.?

Mar 15, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #1,191 of 1,481
Thanks for sharing, that looks like a good pairing. I ordered a few just in case they are poor quality and break easily (hopefully that's not the case, and it seems less likely since they are entirely rigid and therefore not subject to fraying like cables are). It might be good to recommend to Linsoul that they sell this sort of adapter with their amps.
Also, the connection between the cable and amp looks a little loose in the photo; is that an issue at all, would it help to secure the amp to the phone with a silicone band, velcro, etc.?
It would, I use this stuff its very sticky, perhaps even a bit too sticky.

https://www.amazon.com/Jeteven-Nano...able+Nano+Adhesive+Tape&qid=1615833087&sr=8-5

Mar 15, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #1,192 of 1,481
It would, I use this stuff its very sticky, perhaps even a bit too sticky.

https://www.amazon.com/Jeteven-Nano...able+Nano+Adhesive+Tape&qid=1615833087&sr=8-5
That seems like a good choice if you want it permanently mounted to your phone. I plan on periodically using it with my computer, and have a leather case. It seems like non-industrial strength velcro (something that's not strong enough to cause me to peel the velcro off the case or 9038 when deteching it from the case) might be the best solution for me. The non-adhesive kind of velcro meant for stitching to fabric, using something like E6000 to glue the velcro to the case and 9038, that way I can remove the DAC/amp fairly easily but it still should generally stay in place.

I just ordered the 9038D yesterday directly from Linsoul, and am looking forward to trying it out to see how much of a difference it makes compared with my S10+ headphone jack output using the Poweramp app which I am a big fan of (which I learned about in the Head-Fi forums a few years ago). Really good call on the J-adapter, especially since elsewhere I've seen people complain that USB C cables come loose very easily and the constant jostling of the connection can eventually damage the port. You found a really simple but smart solution.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #1,193 of 1,481
That seems like a good choice if you want it permanently mounted to your phone. I plan on periodically using it with my computer, and have a leather case. It seems like non-industrial strength velcro (something that's not strong enough to cause me to peel the velcro off the case or 9038 when deteching it from the case) might be the best solution for me. The non-adhesive kind of velcro meant for stitching to fabric, using something like E6000 to glue the velcro to the case and 9038, that way I can remove the DAC/amp fairly easily but it still should generally stay in place.

I just ordered the 9038D yesterday directly from Linsoul, and am looking forward to trying it out to see how much of a difference it makes compared with my S10+ headphone jack output using the Poweramp app which I am a big fan of (which I learned about in the Head-Fi forums a few years ago). Really good call on the J-adapter, especially since elsewhere I've seen people complain that USB C cables come loose very easily and the constant jostling of the connection can eventually damage the port. You found a really simple but smart solution.
They have Command Strip velcro that works great for these kinds of uses. It's on there as long as you want, and each side stays stuck very well.

Mar 17, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #1,194 of 1,481
Really good call on the J-adapter, especially since elsewhere I've seen people complain that USB C cables come loose very easily and the constant jostling of the connection can eventually damage the port. You found a really simple but smart solution.

Could you please measure the gap between the two USB jacks i.e. the space for the phone? Would be great if I could use it with the protective jacket of my Xiaomi Redmi phone. I mean this J-adapter:

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/1005001476774066.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.4d383c00Gzl1Nd&mp=1

The seller just told me the distance/gap is 8 mm. Is this the space for the phone or the space between the connectors? Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #1,195 of 1,481
Hi all,
Has anyone tried the V-Moda M100 Master headphones with 9038S or 9038D, does it make any difference?
If so, would be nice an opinion about the bass response on this combo?
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back