E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Dec 18, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #1,096 of 1,501
I couldn't find related info, though I searched for it. So would be glad if anyone can answer.

I have E1DA 9038S Gen 1, whose volume cannot be controlled via the device. It's just disabled. So that's really a problem to use it with my macbook for example, as the volume is almost always extremely high and cannot be lowered.

Does Gen 3 have the same problem, or this has been fixed?

Yeah, you may set 9038S3's hardware volume from your macbook volume controls, and set a max limit through its PTL function.
You may still adjust the volume of your S1 via software with applications like BackgroundMusic (opensource) or Sound Control (commercial).

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #1,097 of 1,501
Do you mean you prefer the mojo to the E1DA or you did actually test them blindly, removing confirmation bias?
I can easily tell which one is which as mojo does have an effortlessly more layering. Listened to lot of songs back and forth. Mojo simply has that extra layer of detail which totally is absent on the E1da. Very easy one here. For example the daft punk Withins opening first cymbal is grainy on mojo and E1da has a a smooth blend there is no detail on that cymbal. Similarly lot of things on lot of songs, on every song I listened mojo simply had an extra layer of new things. Whatever I do , E1da simply did not had it making it easy to identify its nature

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #1,098 of 1,501
After listening to both, I prefer the sound of the Mojo, but it is a matter of taste. The 9038D sound is very good.
The Mojo also works with all my phones and Daps, it has a battery, and you can use earphones with a Microphone cable, which don´t work with the 9038D, and maybe they can damage it. On the other side, the Mojo is heavier and bigger.
So I will recommend the 9038D while on the go with an Android phone with a good battery like the Samsung S20
I felt the mojo very close to an analogue device and somehow E1da had a digital glary sound🎙

Dec 20, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #1,099 of 1,501
I can easily tell which one is which as mojo does have an effortlessly more layering.
Yes, because you already know from seeing which one is playing. This is called confirmation bias. You did not perform a "test." If you did a level matched blind test (controlled by someone else) you may well get a different result.

Many people think they can tell these devices apart, until they do a blind test. Most people can't.

Chord Mojo measured THD+N 0.00085% SINAD 101db
E1DA 9038D measured THD+N 0.00014% SINAD 117db

From these results, under the same testing conditions, the 9038D is clearly the better technical performer. Whether or not you can hear the difference is debatable.

Dec 20, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #1,100 of 1,501
I felt the mojo very close to an analogue device and somehow E1da had a digital glary sound🎙
Almost like there's some mojo campaign going on this thread...

mojo battery wears down quickly and is costly to replace, mojo is prone to interference and EMI, not the most stable volume control, no balanced output, not refreshed in years.... I would say it's kinda dumb to buy in 2020 unless you get it used in perfect condition

Dec 20, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #1,101 of 1,501
Last edited:
Dec 20, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #1,102 of 1,501
Yes, because you already know from seeing which one is playing. This is called confirmation bias. You did not perform a "test." If you did a level matched blind test (controlled by someone else) you may well get a different result.

Many people think they can tell these devices apart, until they do a blind test. Most people can't.

From these results, under the same testing conditions, the 9038D is clearly the better technical performer. Whether or not you can hear the difference is debatable.
I completely disagree, distortion and SINAD are a reference only and are not necessarily associated with the best sounding amplifiers, a good example are tube amplifiers, in the end, are our ears and mind are who decided what sound we like.

The Poly - Mojo combination using Roon gives me a very pleasing listening experience, I find the 9039D sound very good technically, especially for use with an android phone, on the go, something I cannot do with the Poly-Mojo

Dec 20, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #1,103 of 1,501
I completely disagree, distortion and SINAD are a reference only and are not necessarily associated with the best sounding amplifiers
I never said they were. I said better technical performer. Which one sounds better is a matter of taste, yet I doubt many people could distinguish these 2 items in a properly controlled blind test.

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #1,104 of 1,501
Dec 20, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #1,105 of 1,501
How does 9038s g3 perform with sensitive IEMs, any hiss?
So app is out, what does it do actually for IEMs?
How would you compare the sound quality to some popular DAPs like dx160, m11... Only using IEMs?
Basically I wanna know is it worth trying out if I use IEMs only and some really sensitive?
TA

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #1,106 of 1,501
How does 9038s g3 perform with sensitive IEMs, any hiss?
So app is out, what does it do actually for IEMs?
How would you compare the sound quality to some popular DAPs like dx160, m11... Only using IEMs?
Basically I wanna know is it worth trying out if I use IEMs only and some really sensitive?
TA
Hey @progdvd I had ordered one a while back, if you can wait a little I can let you know how these go with the S8P. I did spend a lotta time researching on E1DA Discord channel, it should work well from my understanding. I mostly preper balanced hence went for S, why not look into the D as well?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #1,107 of 1,501

I can easily say which one is which on a blind test. Infact it’s not about loudness. “And I know what is confirmation bias”. Both has a different tonality. I don’t believe everything on ASR forum. ASR fans won’t agree anyway so I just let you believe what you believe.

Dec 22, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,109 of 1,501
i often use my hiby R3 just with my koss kph30i because i am to lazy and it sounds great.
I am not able to tell 9038s g2 and susumu apart. i despise the term "it sounds technical" ...actually it sounds not distorted because the music is the same on whatever device i play it.. So we should avoid religious war discussions on personal preferences :wink:

all in all its a mindblowing small device that does the same as my kadas toneboard and atom stack junkpile with all this ugly cable mountains.

...and in the end its all down to personal preference, weather and how you took a dump this day :wink:
its a bang for the buck deluxe what i got with my e1da devices.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back