E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Nov 8, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #287 of 1,482
I think i use that tube mode since i got it and i am really happy with it.. i tried them once when i was eating ramen because it took so long (thats a crap ramen restaurant for me now when i have to wait for ages)
I use the 9038s with tin p1 and shoure tape in this mode.

..Actually never changed anything. Volume control with the Hiby R3 works perfect and normal with 40-50% is really loud enough and fine steps with the volume.
How was the tonality on Tape....I bought it , but never kept them or tried them when I heard it had hot treble...I don't like to EQ.
Not so much an "EQ snob" as you kind find in this hobby...I just find a veil goes over gear when I try EQ...such as MSEB etc...flipping EQ on/off after dialing in MSEB...I just find it really noticeable...'fix one area, and another gets wonked'

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #288 of 1,482
Ready for the PDv2

20191108_130132.jpg

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #289 of 1,482
Ready for the PDv2

Did you do any mods...?
Lengthening the bore hole seems to unlock the low-end and overall SQ on P1...
P1 mods...
I guess double flange Spinfits might do same thing as those relatively pricey "magic eartips" in my link...

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 7:15 AM Post #290 of 1,482
That's my only mod, mate

tempFileForShare_20191108-131445.jpg

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #291 of 1,482
E1 9038S just great out my phone at the minute..I just need to superglue a wedge inside my OTG cable, so my small USB adapter does not rock out of place....I wonder where the DAC/amp can be placed in relation to DAPs...$500-$700 range...anybody ?
I have no exp. of the $500+ DAPs...it just sounds ultra-clean and ultra-detailed.

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #292 of 1,482
In our discord some said its no difference or felt even better.
I also have no experience with those super overpriced new ones.. just my Hiby R3 that usually sounds ike mud now sounds interstellar with 9038s plugged in.

i dondt see any reason for such a expensive player any more when not using streaming or needing a big juicy display and fast android os on board.
A lot of money safed :wink:

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #293 of 1,482
Never tried...I used IEM mode 4 for weeks, then shifted over to performance mode 2 dialing back my upper volume limit 40% on Audirvana Plus - so I could have more volume dial between quiet and loud...what do you think it has over the rest of the modes ?
To answer this question, I just conducted extensive testing in my lab (i.e. I spent 20 minutes playing with it again on my couch). Here is the definitive word on the matter. :wink:

Basically, the other modes sound slightly compressed to me, albeit in somewhat different ways. Bear in mind, they all sound great. But there is a wow factor when I return to normal mode. There is just more to hear. I'm a classical music guy, so the difference comes across as more vividness to each instrument, more information about resonances of the room where the performance took place, more of a sense of the placement of the mics, stuff like that. It just sounds a bit more saturated with information. The other modes sound great, but normal mode sounds uncanny. It's much more evident to me on my full-size headphones (Shure SRH1840) than on my IEMs (BLON BL-03). My assumption is that the other modes manipulate the data stream in some way and so they introduce the potential for some degradation.

The differences are small, so naturally, I would be amused by a fierce and emotional debate on this topic. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #294 of 1,482
So sonically, which E1DA sounded the best so far?

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #295 of 1,482
To answer this question, I just conducted extensive testing in my lab (i.e. I spent 20 minutes playing with it again on my couch). Here is the definitive word on the matter. :wink:

Basically, the other modes sound slightly compressed to me, albeit in somewhat different ways. Bear in mind, they all sound great. But there is a wow factor when I return to normal mode. There is just more to hear. I'm a classical music guy, so the difference comes across as more vividness to each instrument, more information about resonances of the room where the performance took place, more of a sense of the placement of the mics, stuff like that. It just sounds a bit more saturated with information. The other modes sound great, but normal mode sounds uncanny. It's much more evident to me on my full-size headphones (Shure SRH1840) than on my IEMs (BLON BL-03). My assumption is that the other modes manipulate the data stream in some way and so they introduce the potential for some degradation.

The differences are small, so naturally, I would be amused by a fierce and emotional debate on this topic. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I need to give each mode some long-term head time after reading that...interesting.

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:28 AM Post #296 of 1,482
So sonically, which E1DA sounded the best so far?
There are only 2 versions so far....V1 has no IEM mode, V2 has IEM volume capped mode 4...beyond that, they are identical as far as I know.
Do you means "1/2/3/4 modes comparison" ?

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:32 AM Post #297 of 1,482
E1 9038S just great out my phone at the minute..I just need to superglue a wedge inside my OTG cable, so my small USB adapter does not rock out of place....I wonder where the DAC/amp can be placed in relation to DAPs...$500-$700 range...anybody ?
I have no exp. of the $500+ DAPs...it just sounds ultra-clean and ultra-detailed.

As measured by ASR, it performs a bit better than a DX200 at 110 SINAD vs. 108, so right up there for a well-engineered DAP.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #298 of 1,482
There are only 2 versions so far....V1 has no IEM mode, V2 has IEM volume capped mode 4...beyond that, they are identical as far as I know.
Do you means "1/2/3/4 modes comparison" ?

Sorry for confusing. I mean between power DAC V2 and The more portable 9038s. Details, soundstage, layering beside preferences of warmer power DAC and more analytical 9038s.

Do they have plan to comeout with balance 4.4?

Im looking forward to the D version which is 3.5mm jack unbalanced since I can use it more with my collections actually

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #299 of 1,482
Sorry for confusing. I mean between power DAC V2 and The more portable 9038s. Details, soundstage, layering beside preferences of warmer power DAC and more analytical 9038s.

Im looking forward to the D version which is 3.5mm jack unbalanced since I can use it more with my collections actually
No 4.4" as far as I know. I have no issues with 2.5" at all.

Nov 8, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #300 of 1,482

IMO the 9038s is better but it will really depend on your preferences and how important eq is for you. I can easily see that some might prefer the V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back