E11, a new start of FiiO's portable amp ( added some real photo )
May 18, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #1,036 of 1,326
I guess certain people don't care about wearing such a huge pair of goofy looking headphones out in public. I don't mean that the DT770 is goofy looking (I find them to be quite sexy actually), but since they're so big... well they just look goofy on the go, IMHO.

May 18, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #1,037 of 1,326

Quote:
As opposed to the DT770, a headphone renowned for its ability to be used in a portable environment - er, wait ......

Guys, I have absolutely nothing against those who are trying to put a transportable rig together, but that isn the same animal as 'portable'. Anyone sitting on a bus with a pair of DT770s would look and feel every bit as silly as I would with my AD900s - the difference is that I wouldnt need a large amp to drive my A-Ts.

He can join my super awesome club for people who think the DT770 is somewhat portable.  :)

May 18, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #1,038 of 1,326
No, it's not about looks or coolness, guys, relax.

First, on the go doesn't have to mean on the bus :)
Secondly, I tried IEMs, they give me a headache and take tons of tries to get to seal properly. I have strange ears.
I tried supraaural, too (I'm even using a pair these days), but they hurt my ears after half an hour or so, unless their clamping force is near zero, in which case they tend to fall off or at least shift out of a good sounding position much too easily and/or don't isolate very well.

So that leaves me with non-sealing earbuds or circumaural cans if I want to be able to listen for multiple hours.
Earbuds leak sound like crazy, plus I haven't found really good sounding ones yet.

Now, are there any circumaural cans that are really smaller or less "showy" than the DT770s (which, I agree, are quite obnoxiously big)?
Point is, I don't want to sacrifice either sound or comfort for not looking goofy. I don't care enough to do that. A certain amount of quirkyness is okay in my book :)

May 18, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #1,039 of 1,326
Its important to know that the DT770 is deceptive.  If you have never held one or seen it up close, odds are good your first thought will be "hmm, its not nearly as big as it looked in the pictures"  It isnt that big, they are on the small end of the full size headphones.  The AD700/900 and the AKGs are way bigger.  The phiaton MS400 is technically circumaurial if you do the easy cotton stuffing mod.  A bit of cotton stuffed under the pad puffs them out a bit but they still remain very small.  There is the Denon D1001, or the D1100, both are small and circumaurial, and sound fantastic.  If you can raise your budget a bit, maybe even the Phiaton PS500, which is just as large as a DT770 but its damned sexy if you ask me.

Personally, if you want the best of all worlds I would snag a used Denon D1001.  Its small, well built, circumaurial and sounds great right out of an mp3 player.

Wait until mid to late July for the new 9wave NW Studio earbuds if hanging style iems are on your menu in the near future :) 

May 18, 2011 at 6:22 AM Post #1,040 of 1,326
I'll answer via private message, okay?, to not derail this thread any more/ longer
beerchug.gif

May 18, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #1,041 of 1,326
Forget the ratings, the E11 should drive 600 ohms just fine. It's simply a matter of gain and if it plays loud enough for your purposes. Driving a higher impedance is electrically easy. It's just a matter of whether the amp swings enough voltage. It shouldn't run out of current. 600 ohm headhones are intended for home use and are not built with effeciency in mind so I'm sure the spec is there to prevent someone from finding a mismatch but there is no technical reason why 600 ohms would present an problem other than overall effeciency which would be case by case.

May 18, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #1,042 of 1,326
Quote:
Guys, I have absolutely nothing against those who are trying to put a transportable rig together, but that isn the same animal as 'portable'. Anyone sitting on a bus with a pair of DT770s would look and feel every bit as silly as I would with my AD900s - the difference is that I wouldnt need a large amp to drive my A-Ts.

The Beyers won't break if someone looks at them sideways.  The 770s almost pass my test for consumer electronics durability, which just about nothing except for the original NES controller and the Wiimote do.  That test (or rather thought experiment) is:  Will it still work after I beat someone to death with it?

They also come with a nice cary-case

May 18, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #1,044 of 1,326
Quote:
What about sound leakage on the Beyers ? My DT440s leaked like a sieve, whether I was wearing them or not.

The velour pads on the 770s can leak a little at headbanging volumes because they don't seal all that well but if you get the Beyer gel pads I'm pretty sure you'll go deaf first.  Even the velours are dead silent at anything I'd call reasonable.  Their isolation means you don't have to crank them either and the gel pads make that better too.

I've never even seen a 440, but the 770s sure as hell aren't like the Denon Dx000s or something if that's what you're thinking.

May 18, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #1,045 of 1,326

The velour pads on the 770s can leak a little at headbanging volumes because they don't seal all that well but if you get the Beyer gel pads I'm pretty sure you'll go deaf first.  Even the velours are dead silent at anything I'd call reasonable.  Their isolation means you don't have to crank them either and the gel pads make that better too.

I've never even seen a 440, but the 770s sure as hell aren't like the Denon Dx000s or something if that's what you're thinking.

Hey! Don't diss the denons =p
They aren't as bad as some tend to describe them.
Sure, they aren't as silent as the DT770 but then again they aren't meant to be. Semi-open design does lend itself to some leakage but I havent heard anyone in my family wear them loud enough so I would be able to distinguish what they were listening to in a living room where it isn't dead silent but noise levels are kept relatively low, while sitting about 5 feet away.

May 18, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #1,046 of 1,326
Quote:
Hey! Don't diss the denons =p
They aren't as bad as some tend to describe them.
Sure, they aren't as silent as the DT770 but then again they aren't meant to be. Semi-open design does lend itself to some leakage but I havent heard anyone in my family wear them loud enough so I would be able to distinguish what they were listening to in a living room where it isn't dead silent but noise levels are kept relatively low, while sitting about 5 feet away.

They must listen soft.  I've owned both the 2000s and the 5000s and I usually listen quiet enough that they're like that even if I take them off but most other people I let listen to them cranked them loud enough that the lyrics were understandable from several feet away.  When dealing with an issue as variable as volume I think its best to go with a worst case scenerio.

Grados are the worst for leakage though.  They're louder outside than in.  Once my brother was playing his DS with some Grados and from several feet away they were louder and sounded better than the DS' own speakers.  That really has nothing to do with this topic but I find it hilarious enough to share...

May 18, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #1,047 of 1,326

Quote:
Grados are the worst for leakage though.  They're louder outside than in.  Once my brother was playing his DS with some Grados and from several feet away they were louder and sounded better than the DS' own speakers.  That really has nothing to do with this topic but I find it hilarious enough to share...

Disagree, and I would have readily agreed just a few months back. I have ripped most of the guts out of my SR60s (Bilavideo mods) and there is very little either side of the drivers - they are like little speakers sitting flat on my bedside table. That said, they werent built with the large cans on the AD900s, which seem to have been designed to be as open as possible - not quite the 'ear speaker' design of the K1000/Stax, but leaning in that direction. Even though they dont sit flat when I take them off, more sound leaks from these than any pair of cans I have owned. In some ways, it defeats the purpose of owning headphones - to enjoy music or movies without disturbing anyone else.

May 19, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #1,049 of 1,326
Personally, on the go I use the PortaPro's they sound simply incredible out of the PA2V2, but I find the PA2V2 a little pocket unfriendly, which is why I'm so interested in the E11, reasonable price, well reviewed so far, sleek profile, I MUST get one!

May 19, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #1,050 of 1,326

Quote:
Personally, on the go I use the PortaPro's they sound simply incredible out of the PA2V2, but I find the PA2V2 a little pocket unfriendly, which is why I'm so interested in the E11, reasonable price, well reviewed so far, sleek profile, I MUST get one!

Lol!  You have an Arrow and Leckerton.  You're such an amp whore.  
tongue.gif
  Don't forget to add the E11 to the comparo.  
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back