E10, new USB DAC ( updated with photos of real E10 )
Nov 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #407 of 541
EPIC!!! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #409 of 541
As opposed to what? What are you now? 
confused.gif

Quote:
will i notice very little difference in SQ ?

BTW, I'm now using the E10 also as USB DAC for the E9 (via 3.5mm jack output and input, through a FiiO LOD cable) and what a difference! For those of you, like me, who just used the E7 as a docked USB DAC for the E9, and now also have the E10 in your hands, you should all try this... Bye bye E7! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #410 of 541

Quote:
just wondering.... i have a modded hd 558 and was considering buying the fiio e10.

will i notice very little difference in SQ ? thanks

Compared to your laptop's headphone out?, YES you will notice a difference.  The E10 improves every single one of my headphones, even my KSC75s are clearer/cleaner with a larger soundstage. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #411 of 541

Quote:

BTW, I'm now using the E10 also as USB DAC for the E9 (via 3.5mm jack output and input, through a FiiO LOD cable) and what a difference! For those of you, like me, who just used the E7 as a docked USB DAC for the E9, and now also have the E10 in your hands, you should all try this... Bye bye E7! 
biggrin.gif

I've got this same setup, the E10 looks nice "docked" on top of the E9 IMO.  They've got the same dark brushed metal finish.

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #413 of 541

Well, "easiness" to drive some cans and sound quality are two very different things. If you're after SQ, than something like the E10 is just on a different league, ages above your laptop's onboard soundcard! 
wink.gif

Quote:
I just heard hd 558 is so easy to drive so will benefit very little from amping.. (source being laptop..)

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:06 PM Post #414 of 541
In my experience, the HD598 being driven by a laptop source by itself is pretty terrible.  Sounded worse than a stock HD555.  The stuff was there, but after testing it with the iBasso D2+ being hooked up, the change is very very drastic.  Much much better sounding.  The HD555 and HD595 might sound decent by a crappy source, but the newer models definately like being dac/amped.  Good luck!

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #417 of 541
Nov 29, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #418 of 541

Quote:
I am in no way a pro when it comes to any sound equipment. I am a total novice. with that said. I am going back and forth trying to find my favorite settings for the ath-m50. I can't really decide.

so far, I found that with the gain on high and bass on, I find it to be great. but, with gain on low and bass on with the volume level a little higher, it also seems great.

can anyone else out there try the e10 with the m50 and let me know what they feel is a good setting?

oh, and not a big deal (I think), but when I plug in my headphones, it is a little crooked to the right. but all in all, I love the e10 for what it does.

Now that you've had a month to play with it, have you found a good setting that you can recommend?  I just ordered mine and will also be using it with my ath-m50.  The e10 will be usb connected to my 2011 iMac. 

What's a good volume setting for the computer?  I've read that setting the computer volume at 75-100% and then using the e10's volume control is good.  

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #419 of 541
Just experiment with the sound I only put my sound to 25% on my HP Slimline desktop computer and keep the FiiO E10 at notch number 4 and it is perfect for me.  Everybodies different so experiment and see what loudness suits you best.  I mean if I want it louder I usually up the volume on the FiiO E10 to about 5, use your FiiO E10 as the melting pot. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #420 of 541
I'm pretty sure your supposed to set the FiiO to 100% volume/balance on your computer.  Otherwise as soon as you lower it your digitally attenuating the signal and losing resolution. 

Keep it at 100% in your computer settings and adjust the volume accordingly on the E10.  Set the gain to low, unless you have to go past 7 on the knob for adequate volume, then you can switch to high gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back