E10, new USB DAC ( updated with photos of real E10 )
Feb 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #527 of 541

Quote:
Hello ! I have a Fiio E10 and i want to buy a AKG k701. It`s a good choice, or the headphone will be severely limited by the dac/amp ? Does anyone have this configuration

It won't be "severely limited", but it will be limited.  Especially in soundstage from my experience.  And it's the amps fault there, not the DAC.  Adding another amp will open it up.  Still for $80, I'm not sure if there's anything better for a DAC/amp combo.

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #528 of 541

Quote:
Is this DAC good for gaming?

It has a pretty open soundstage, but it's still stereo.  I don't like to game in stereo, and for gaming with headphones I really recommend virtual surround tech like Dolby headphone. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #529 of 541
Just received my E10, and love its sound quality, but have a question, wonder if another user of this device could help:
exactly 20 seconds after stopping/pausing music playback on the computer, I hear a not too loud, but clearly audible crackling sound from either the speakers or the headphones: as if DC level changes somewhere suddenly...
(perhaps a bit stronger from the left, but it is also there on the right channel. Edit: no, testing with headphones, it comes totally from the left, so it must be the crosstalk of my speaker's amp that made it come from the right also)

So obviously the E10 goes into some kind of power-save mode, fine, but I wonder if it is normal to hear this click? It isn't too loud, but it was enough to make me switch off soft sounds of Windows when opening a folder, because those resulted in annoying cracklings.

If thats normal, then this device is clearly does not replace a desktop sound card, only for long music listening.
(but if you say this should not be audible, I might return it, and ask for another)

Feb 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #530 of 541

Quote:
When I hit pause button after playing some songs through Itunes, I dont hear any noise. Until now that s normal but 10 sec later I start earing a crackling noise in the left ear, nothing on the right ear. It gets softer when I turned the E10 volume button down but still noticeable. It sort of bothers me since I m not constantly playing music but like keeping headphones on... 

Exactly!
(though that's actually 20 seconds, and first I thought it comes from both channels, but no, you're right, its only from the left)

Now I wonder only 2 of us have a defective device, or others just did not realise this issue, because they listen only music, no system sounds?

Feb 21, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #531 of 541

Quote:

Exactly!
(though that's actually 20 seconds, and first I thought it comes from both channels, but no, you're right, its only from the left)

Now I wonder only 2 of us have a defective device, or others just did not realise this issue, because they listen only music, no system sounds?

Will you mind PM me the series number of your E10, it can help us track which batch it belong to . and them we can check what happen. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 16, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #536 of 541
Very interested in people's opinions on the best budget amping options for AKG K550. 
Would the Fiio E9 or E10 improve the sound quality if source is high-end PC soundcard (Creative X-Fi Titanium HD)? 

Oct 8, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #537 of 541
O_o , I've just ordered this yesterday and I wander if Im going to get the crackling 
frown.gif

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #538 of 541
Greetings, first post on HF :)

The line out jack on my 9-month old E10 has failed. Audio is intermittent on one side. I can put strain on the cable and the audio will return until the strain is released. I've tested with three known-good cables and the results are the same.

I've requested warranty service from FIIO and they directed me to the seller, B&H Photo Video. B&H says they'll contact the manufacturer on my behalf. Has anyone else been down this road? How did it work out for you?

I use the E10 for playback in a large professional sound system. LOVE it. Lately I've noticed that the channel meters on the E10 stereo strip tend to bounce when the E10 should be idle. There is a very small "thump" when the audio exceeds the strip's noise gate. Has anyone else noticed similar behavior?

Nov 30, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #539 of 541
Quote:
Anyone getting static from the volume control?   I just noticed mine starting to do this yesterday.  It's only 3 months old.

Edit: I just read the E9 thread and found my answer.  Unplug, turn down and all the way up a few times and should clear out the static.

I don't get static by turning the volume knob, but I do get static when I turn the headphone jack while its plugged into the E10.

Dec 4, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #540 of 541
I have a Fiio E10 for many years (I think it is one of the first edition ones) and happy with it. About a year ago, it's got overheating suddenly. By suddenly, I mean I don't know the cause. After a year laying down without purpose, I decided to disasembled it and checked. N8 the AD8397 was very hot less than a minute. I checked the voltage pin of N8 to ground and got reading of +3.6 V and -0.9 V.

Can I have your suggestion what possibly be the cause of this voltage problem? The electrolytes need to be swapped with new ones? Or else?
Photo of it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back