E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Jun 18, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #1,906 of 1,966
I managed to listen the E-Mu Teak next to the Hifiman Ananda. Yes, the Ananda had more clarity, but only marginally so and the highs were crisper, but the Teak was not that far behind. But when it comes to bass and mid range, I just couldn't help to love the E-Mu Teak over the Ananda, the bass of the Teak is intoxicating, without mudding up everything else. The sound stage was kind of same, which I wasn't expecting the Ananda to match the Teak. The Teak pull of a trick I didn't think it was possible, great bass, non-recessed mids and detailed but not sibilant highs. Granted it was apples and oranges, but I'm not moving over to open headphones any time soon.

Jun 19, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #1,909 of 1,966
As far as I know, the non removable cable version on drop comes with the genuine sheepskin leather, whereas the removable cable version comes with the PU leather.
Not sure whether the same applies to the ones purchased directly from E-MU.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #1,910 of 1,966
Anyone try a set of Lawton cups on these? I wonder if they actually improve (or just change) the sound or if they are just for looks.

IMG_1305.jpeg

IMG_1303.jpeg

The Lawton Level 2 upgrade is 110% worth it to my ears. The ear pads produce the most significant change in terms of technicalities: much improved clarity, transparency, separation, soundstage, bass definition, etc. The ear cups (mine are Bolivian Rosewood) enhance the soundstage dramatically. Note that you will want to use the cup-side tune-up damping if you install the Lawton cups. The cup reverb is fairly heavy without the damping. With the damping and new chambers installed, the tonality shifts from a steep U-shape to more of a smooth, warm-leaning, bass-heavy response. Bass becomes much better controlled and defined, treble is smoothened, and mids are brought forward. The driver-side tune-up damping resulted in the least audible change for me.

My other mainstay is the Hifiman Edition XS. In stock form, the Edition XS easily surpasses the Teaks in most technical metrics. With the Lawton Level 2 upgrade, they become quite competitive with each other. The Lawton Level 2 Teaks surpass the Edition XS in terms of soundstage width and scale, for instance.

I no longer have the Lawton Level 1 TH900 MK2 with me or the Klipsch HP-3, but based purely off memory, I prefer the tonality of the Lawton Level 2 Teaks. In Level 1 form, they sound rather reminiscent of the Denon D9200 I auditioned.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #1,911 of 1,966
20230804_192256.jpg

I put the Purpleheart wooden cups back on the E-MU's. On my LG V40 with the Quad Dac on and digital filter set to short, these cups are more musical than I remember them. After hundreds of hours of listening to the Teak and Zebra cups I decided I wanted the exciting yet balanced sound of the Purpleheart again. It is a misconception that the Purpleheart cup of E-MU is the same as the Fostex: It is not post 2020, the inner cutting of these cups are the same as the Teak. These Purplehearts are more engaging than I remember them. The bass certainly is a tad bit boomier than the Teak, but it slams a bit lower as well creating this huge bass body at times which certainly is satisfying. There is this brightness peak that the Teak has that isn't present here, also the lower mids are more upfront creating this thick lush sound that is very addicting. The resonance of the Purpleheart is truely engaging and I would probably review it higher than I did back in 2020. After a few hundred hours of listening to these cups I will then install the Rosewood cups back on, and compare them side by side. For now though, the Purpleheart cups create an addicting, relaxing yet very engaging sound that is hard to part ways with.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #1,912 of 1,966
20230804_192256.jpg
I put on the Purpleheart wooden cups back on the E-MU. On my LG V40 with the Quad Dac on and digital filter set to short, these cups are more musical than I remember them. After hundreds of hours of listening to the Teak and Zebra cups I decided I wanted the exciting yet balanced sound of the Purpleheart again. It is a misconception that the Purpleheart cup of E-MU is the same as the Fostex: It is not post 2020, the inner cutting of these cups are the same as the Teak. These Purplehearts are more engaging than I remember them. The bass certainly is a tad bit boomier than the Teak, but it slams a bit lower as well creating this huge bass body at times which certainly is satisfying. There is this brightness peak that the Teak has that isn't present here, also the lower mids are more upfront creating this thick lush sound that is very addicting. The resonance of the Purpleheart is truely engaging and I would probably review it higher than I did back in 2020. After a few hundred hours of listening to these cups I will then install the Rosewood cups back on, and compare them side by side. For now though, the Purpleheart cups create an addicting, relaxing yet very engaging sound that is hard to part ways with.
I haven't tried any other cups as of yet, but your description of the PH totally matches my experience with them. Having tried/owned several bass oriented headphones, I tend to favour bass that is on the slightly boomier side. I find it gives more substance and meat to overall bass presentation...which the E-MU's do beautifully.
The resonance of the PH wood and the semi open nature of the cups creates this sort of "grand" sensation that I've not heard in any other headphones.

While I still want to eventually try the TH900 out of pure curiosity, the E-MU's are pretty much everything I've been looking for in a headphone. I will be ordering other cups at some point as I'm interested in hearing the nuances between the different types of woods.

As a side note, the matte finish on your PH looks phenomenal! Looks a lot classier than my glossy ones.PXL_20230806_112124580.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20230806_112206930.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #1,913 of 1,966
I haven't tried any other cups as of yet, but your description of the PH totally matches my experience with them. Having tried/owned several bass oriented headphones, I tend to favour bass that is on the slightly boomier side. I find it gives more substance and meat to overall bass presentation...which the E-MU's do beautifully.
The resonance of the PH wood and the semi open nature of the cups creates this sort of "grand" sensation that I've not heard in any other headphones.

While I still want to eventually try the TH900 out of pure curiosity, the E-MU's are pretty much everything I've been looking for in a headphone. I will be ordering other cups at some point as I'm interested in hearing the nuances between the different types of woods.

As a side note, the matte finish on your PH looks phenomenal! Looks a lot classier than my glossy ones.PXL_20230806_112124580.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20230806_112206930.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
Your Glossy cups look phenomenal as well, really bring out the color. And cheers to the skyaudiocables as well! <3 for the Purple<3

Aug 12, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #1,914 of 1,966
20230804_192256.jpg
I put the Purpleheart wooden cups back on the E-MU's. On my LG V40 with the Quad Dac on and digital filter set to short, these cups are more musical than I remember them. After hundreds of hours of listening to the Teak and Zebra cups I decided I wanted the exciting yet balanced sound of the Purpleheart again. It is a misconception that the Purpleheart cup of E-MU is the same as the Fostex: It is not post 2020, the inner cutting of these cups are the same as the Teak. These Purplehearts are more engaging than I remember them. The bass certainly is a tad bit boomier than the Teak, but it slams a bit lower as well creating this huge bass body at times which certainly is satisfying. There is this brightness peak that the Teak has that isn't present here, also the lower mids are more upfront creating this thick lush sound that is very addicting. The resonance of the Purpleheart is truely engaging and I would probably review it higher than I did back in 2020. After a few hundred hours of listening to these cups I will then install the Rosewood cups back on, and compare them side by side. For now though, the Purpleheart cups create an addicting, relaxing yet very engaging sound that is hard to part ways with.
Can't wait for your revised comparison, I always enjoy reading your thougts and work on the emu headphones. Also nice cable where did you purchase it?

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #1,915 of 1,966

As a side note, the matte finish on your PH looks phenomenal! Looks a lot classier than my glossy ones.
I think the glossy cups look awesome!

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #1,916 of 1,966
I just got updated pricing from E-MU today and one sentence stood out to me. I will quote the email from customer service and highlight the sentence that surprised me:

"Dear Shane

Headphones Cups available for sale separately:

Ebony US$140
Rosewood, Mahogany, Sapele,
Purpleheart, Zebra US$120
Bamboo US$100

Shipping fee by FedEx <= 2 sets. US$ 30

Ebony Glossy
Rosewood. Matte
Mahogany Glossy
Sapele Glossy
Purpleheart Glossy & Matte
Zebra Matte
Bamboo Glossy & Matte

Payment can be made to our PayPal account-
support@emu.com

Shipment will be made within 7 working days after payment received.

Please provide us your address and contact number.

Kindly note that we do not have Return and Refund policy.

Thank you.

Best Regards

E-MU Customer Support Team"

Has that policy ever been a problem for anybody? I am thinking in terms of DOA's or even problems a week or two after arrival.

Aug 12, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #1,917 of 1,966
Since I am already on a roll, are the detachable cables the same as Fostex cables? I remember when I bought a set of Monoprice M1570's, I had to get a customized cable built, because they were wired differently from Fostex. I use the Hart modular system and would need a replacement cable built for my system.

Thanks!

Aug 12, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #1,918 of 1,966
Since I am already on a roll, are the detachable cables the same as Fostex cables? I remember when I bought a set of Monoprice M1570's, I had to get a customized cable built, because they were wired differently from Fostex. I use the Hart modular system and would need a replacement cable built for my system.

Thanks!
The Teaks use 2x 2.5mm TS connectors at the cups. Kinda unusual. But any cable made for the Senn HD700 will also work with these, which simplifies the search process.

Aug 12, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,919 of 1,966
So, E-MU, Fostex and Monoprice all use what looks like the same cable, but are all wired differently?

Aug 12, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #1,920 of 1,966
So, E-MU, Fostex and Monoprice all use what looks like the same cable, but are all wired differently?
As far as I'm aware, Fostex uses a proprietary connector at the cups that you won't find on any other brand (at least in regards to dual-entry cables). Monoprice uses 4-pin MiniXLR connectors at the cups, which while not proprietary, nobody else does it. Plenty of headphones (Audeze, AKG, etc) use 3-pin MiniXLR connectors, Monoprice went 4-pin for unclear reasons.

The dual 2.5mm like on the Teaks is also not proprietary, but is uncommon. Hifiman used to use dual 2.5mm until they switched to dual 3.5mm, although Hifiman use/d 3-pole (TRS) connectors, which were wired in a way that would be incompatible with the Teaks. I think it's a similar story with the Oppo PM-1. Same connectors, different wiring.

A way to circumvent any dual-2.5mm incompatibility is by looking for cables that use 2-pole (TS) connectors. This would maximize compatibility to work with, to my knowledge, any dual-2.5mm headphone. And I've found that the easiest way to find cables with dual-2.5mm connectors, TS-style, and readily available without needing to commission something custom, is by looking for Senn HD700 cables. Seems to be the most common cable that ticks all the boxes. The shape of the male connectors is slightly unusual because the HD700 has recessed female connectors, but the shape doesn't interfere with not-recessed female connectors like on the Teaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back