E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Aug 12, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #1,921 of 1,964
As far as I'm aware, Fostex uses a proprietary connector at the cups that you won't find on any other brand (at least in regards to dual-entry cables). Monoprice uses 4-pin MiniXLR connectors at the cups, which while not proprietary, nobody else does it. Plenty of headphones (Audeze, AKG, etc) use 3-pin MiniXLR connectors, Monoprice went 4-pin for unclear reasons.

The dual 2.5mm like on the Teaks is also not proprietary, but is uncommon. Hifiman used to use dual 2.5mm until they switched to dual 3.5mm, although Hifiman use/d 3-pole (TRS) connectors, which were wired in a way that would be incompatible with the Teaks. I think it's a similar story with the Oppo PM-1. Same connectors, different wiring.

A way to circumvent any dual-2.5mm incompatibility is by looking for cables that use 2-pole (TS) connectors. This would maximize compatibility to work with, to my knowledge, any dual-2.5mm headphone. And I've found that the easiest way to find cables with dual-2.5mm connectors, TS-style, and readily available without needing to commission something custom, is by looking for Senn HD700 cables. Seems to be the most common cable that ticks all the boxes. The shape of the male connectors is slightly unusual because the HD700 has recessed female connectors, but the shape doesn't interfere with not-recessed female connectors like on the Teaks.
You are a wealth of information!
I had forgotten about the mini-XLR's on the 1570's. But they were wired differently and I couldn't use them with my (Hart) Audeze cable and had to get a special cable made.

I guess it was only the Fostex TH610's that I used to think looked like a Sennheiser cable, but wouldn't play nice together?

I guess if I decide to grab some E-MU's, I will need to be careful on spec's.

Thanks for the education! Nearly daily learning on Head-Fi.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #1,923 of 1,964
Kindly note that we do not have Return and Refund policy.

Thank you.

Best Regards

E-MU Customer Support Team"

Has that policy ever been a problem for anybody? I am thinking in terms of DOA's or even problems a week or two after arrival.
My unit originally came with a pretty significant channel imbalance. Contacted their support and was given an address to ship the headphones back to get fixed. Return shipping was at my own expense, and then they paid to ship it back to me once fixed. In my experience, while they may take a little while to reply to enquiries, they're very fast to respond when it comes to support.
All in all everything went quite smoothly and they're very friendly. If something were to happen to your unit, the support team is great.

Aug 12, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #1,924 of 1,964
My unit originally came with a pretty significant channel imbalance. Contacted their support and was given an address to ship the headphones back to get fixed. Return shipping was at my own expense, and then they paid to ship it back to me once fixed. In my experience, while they may take a little while to reply to enquiries, they're very fast to respond when it comes to support.
All in all everything went quite smoothly and they're very friendly. If something were to happen to your unit, the support team is great.
Nice to hear. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Aug 12, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #1,925 of 1,964
The Teaks use 2x 2.5mm TS connectors at the cups. Kinda unusual. But any cable made for the Senn HD700 will also work with these, which simplifies the search process.
I don't know why I was thinking that these had Fostex type cables (double prong like Sennheiser). I just looked up a pic and they are just single 2.5mm inputs. Although I guess they are unusual 2.5mm inputs, according to your data.

Aug 12, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #1,926 of 1,964
I don't know why I was thinking that these had Fostex type cables (double prong like Sennheiser). I just looked up a pic and they are just single 2.5mm inputs. Although I guess they are unusual 2.5mm inputs, according to your data.
Yeah, if I remember right, the female TRS connectors on the Teaks are wired +/-/x, whereas the most common wiring is +/x/-. 'Course, when you use TS connectors, the difference is irrelevant.

I think the idea behind TRS when the Ring is unused is so that there's no brief short between the + and - on the drivers during connect/disconnect. I don't know if it counts as "industry standard," but if there is one, this is it. Why the Teaks are wired the way they are instead, couldn't tell ya.

Aug 12, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #1,927 of 1,964
Aug 12, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #1,928 of 1,964
Aug 12, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #1,929 of 1,964
No, that cable should work fine. 2x 2.5mm TS. All good.
I saw something on Drop about their cable not working with almost any other 'phones?

On the Hart site it mentions that their cable works with:
Audioquest Nighthawk, Sendy Aiva, Sivga Phoenix, Blon B20, Monolith M570 and older Hifiman HE4XX headphones.
Did you look at the drawing at the bottom?

Aug 12, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #1,930 of 1,964
I saw something on Drop about their cable not working with almost any other 'phones?

On the Hart site it mentions that their cable works with:
Audioquest Nighthawk, Sendy Aiva, Sivga Phoenix, Blon B20, Monolith M570 and older Hifiman HE4XX headphones.
Did you look at the drawing at the bottom?

I think the issue with the E-MU cable not working with other headphones is that they don't wire the sleeve, they only wire the tip and ring. That doesn't preclude using TS connectors on the Teak though, because you'll still get contact where the ring would be on TRS

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #1,931 of 1,964
IMG_1305.jpeg
IMG_1303.jpeg

The Lawton Level 2 upgrade is 110% worth it to my ears. The ear pads produce the most significant change in terms of technicalities: much improved clarity, transparency, separation, soundstage, bass definition, etc. The ear cups (mine are Bolivian Rosewood) enhance the soundstage dramatically. Note that you will want to use the cup-side tune-up damping if you install the Lawton cups. The cup reverb is fairly heavy without the damping. With the damping and new chambers installed, the tonality shifts from a steep U-shape to more of a smooth, warm-leaning, bass-heavy response. Bass becomes much better controlled and defined, treble is smoothened, and mids are brought forward. The driver-side tune-up damping resulted in the least audible change for me.

My other mainstay is the Hifiman Edition XS. In stock form, the Edition XS easily surpasses the Teaks in most technical metrics. With the Lawton Level 2 upgrade, they become quite competitive with each other. The Lawton Level 2 Teaks surpass the Edition XS in terms of soundstage width and scale, for instance.

I no longer have the Lawton Level 1 TH900 MK2 with me or the Klipsch HP-3, but based purely off memory, I prefer the tonality of the Lawton Level 2 Teaks. In Level 1 form, they sound rather reminiscent of the Denon D9200 I auditioned.
Did you try using the Lawton pads with stock E-MU's?

Aug 15, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #1,932 of 1,964
Well I finished the whole thread tonight! A lot of people have "pumped and dumped" these over the years.

How many folks have owned E-MU's for more than three years? Just curious.

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #1,933 of 1,964
Did you try using the Lawton pads with stock E-MU's?

I did indeed. The changes I outlined with regards to the pads are with the stock Teaks:

"The ear pads produce the most significant change in terms of technicalities: much improved clarity, transparency, separation, soundstage, bass definition, etc. "

Hope that helps!

Aug 16, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #1,934 of 1,964
Well I finished the whole thread tonight! A lot of people have "pumped and dumped" these over the years.

*Raises hands*

I'm guilty of "pumping and dumping" them--I've probably bought and sold at least half a dozen Teaks over the years. The fact that I keep returning to them though, I think says it all. I've owned the Fostex TH900 and Klipsch HP-3 and auditioned the Denon D9200 and the Teaks are undoubtedly the best tuned of the lot. I maintain that they are amongst the best value closed-back headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #1,935 of 1,964

I'm guilty of dumping mine, mainly because of comfort issues with the pads. Since then, I've been using a TH-900 with TH-610 pads, but they don't quite have the magical balance of the Teaks despite being more resolving. Next time I have some spare cash, I'll probably see if I can get the cups and pads to swap out again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back