E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Jul 9, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #1,636 of 1,967
Was wondering if the zmf pads are worth it to keep close to stock sound.
It will change the sound. The ZMF pads are thicker than the stock pads, so soundstage is bigger and presentation more distant. On the ZMF Sheepskin Auteur pads (which are similar to the Eikon pads), I found they also made the Teaks sound a bit darker. But maybe a different material would affect it differently.
EDIT: Sorry, darker is definitely not the right word here, recessed is probably better. Because of the more distant presentation, you have to turn the volume up more. In general, this makes the tonality more V-shaped with brighter, thinner midrange.

Even Accessory House Global pads, which are the closest I've seen to stock pads, change the sound. The dimensions are very close, the ear opening is properly off-center to tame the treble, and it has an attenuation disc with the same off-center hole. But they are slightly brighter-sounding than stock Teak pads with a bit less bass.

That said, I found the ZMF pads to be the best compromise for comfort and sound. I really like the tonal balance of the Teaks, so I'm probably overly picky about the difference. Others like Dekoni were just not good and Accessory House doesn't really improve the comfort much. Though, the smaller Ori pads might be a better pick since the Eikon pads will be a bit loose on the plastic ring.

There are also these pads from Aliexpress that have a similar shape to stock, but are more comfortable because the opening is larger and deeper. I found their sound to be pretty promising, though take that with a grain of salt because I frankenstein'd the Accessory House attenuation ring/mesh onto mine. The bass will probably be less controlled without the attenuation ring, the Dekoni ones wouldn't work with them since their opening is centered iirc.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #1,637 of 1,967
I actually have the Denon 5200 and would like to know if the Emu Teak is a big step above or only a small upgrade? Did anyone compare both of them directly? I read that with the sheepskin pads the sound is worse than with the old ones but with the old pads you sweat a lot. Difficult decision. 5200: 200 € cheaper, better materials and production quality, better customer service, Teak: balance, bass, sound quality

Jul 11, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #1,638 of 1,967
If comfort is your thing, then yes. I didn't notice a huge difference in sound.
Mind sharing a picture of your E-Mu Teak with the ZMF Ori pads? Thanks.

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #1,639 of 1,967
I actually have the Denon 5200 and would like to know if the Emu Teak is a big step above or only a small upgrade? Did anyone compare both of them directly? I read that with the sheepskin pads the sound is worse than with the old ones but with the old pads you sweat a lot. Difficult decision. 5200: 200 € cheaper, better materials and production quality, better customer service, Teak: balance, bass, sound quality
Had both together. D5200 better bass, EMU better highs. D5200 highs were intolerable. EMU highs not great but can be tamed some with Accessory House lambksin pads (Ive not tried a lot of alternate pads but these do help and feel nicer). Im having my EMU modded right now and they will come with some well suited aftermarkets of custom design. Typically shallower, or narrower ear hole pads, or off center ear hole, or less porous pads help with highs. The AHl pads are a little bit of all those. The stock pads leather is a bit stiff and the foam is rounded which all makes it harder to get a good seal when wearing… (More porous means less warmth/bass and more trebles in relation).

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #1,641 of 1,967
drop sells e-mu with bamboo or teak cups (+ 50 dollars). what is the difference between the 2 cups?
Haven't heard the bamboo cups myself, but here are a few links that might help you.

(Impressions from this thread)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/e-mu-wooden-series-headphones.781884/post-16075100

(From E-MU)
https://drop.com/buy/emu-wood-series-headphones/talk/2454467?utm_source=linkshare&referer=D4ZFY2

(Impressions from a reviewer)
https://www.intoitreviews.com/post/e-mu-wood-series-headphones-bamboo-cups-with-teak-comparisons

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #1,642 of 1,967
If you’re grabbing a pair from drop, it is worth going with the teak. The tonality and bass is better than bamboo.

Jul 29, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #1,643 of 1,967
Accessory House pads are surprisingly a bit more plush and a bit more deep than the stock pads. Seems to lead to a bit of a roll-off in the lowest freqs of the subbass and dampens the "echo-y cave" feel I previously had. Maybe I'm not orienting the pads correctly? I'll also try the thin Aliexpress pads mentioned earlier in this thread sometime later and hopefully that should bring the subbass back up due to proximity without sacrificing comfort. Will probably defer to the Accessory House pads, for comfort.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #1,644 of 1,967
Has anyone compared these to the Focal Elex for punch and slam?

Aug 2, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #1,646 of 1,967
Has anyone compared these to the Focal Elex for punch and slam?
I had both. Quite different beasts. Teak punch and slam way more than the Elex. The Elex is a well balanced headphone. Teak is quite more bassy and 'fun'.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #1,649 of 1,967
If you’re grabbing a pair from drop, it is worth going with the teak. The tonality and bass is better than bamboo.
If you email emu directly theyll install any of the cups for you or send them extra. And they do confirm that they consider the teaks their flagship when i asked so i just went with that. I was cautious about pads, i did want better comfort than stock but didn't wanna mess with the sound so figured sheepskin from them should be fine

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #1,650 of 1,967
You’ll love the teaks. The bass and tone are just great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back