E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Apr 10, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #1,606 of 1,967
Hmm, I guess you can ask emu to put a darker finish on them. I think emu is pretty flexible on stuff. I have the glossy finish ebony cups and those look like the matte version. You can always send them an email and ask.

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #1,607 of 1,967
Hmm, I guess you can ask emu to put a darker finish on them. I think emu is pretty flexible on stuff. I have the glossy finish ebony cups and those look like the matte version. You can always send them an email and ask.
Oh you can ask for the wooden cups to be repainted? Interesting.

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #1,608 of 1,967
I'm not sure if you can,I imagine they are open to it. I know the ebony cups are thicker than the teak cups, the cups that look on the headset look thinner. And on a lot of their cups they have matte and glossy finishes on them.

Apr 10, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #1,609 of 1,967
Yeah looking at mine, there's def a glossy coating over the wood.

Apr 11, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #1,610 of 1,967
Oh you can ask for the wooden cups to be repainted? Interesting.
I emailed them before to ask if you can pick the coating beforehand and they said they could do that. Glossy or matte.

The earlier Teak pic you attached seems like it was just exposed a bit darker since they're taking a picture of white keycaps. Mine have a similar shade if they're not held up to the light.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 2:27 PM Post #1,611 of 1,967
Potentially stupid question: I already have a paid of slightly modded (dampened) Denon AH-D2000's in my collection. Is the Teak substantially different/better than those? I love the general sonic signature of the 2000's for sure.

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #1,612 of 1,967
Potentially stupid question: I already have a paid of slightly modded (dampened) Denon AH-D2000's in my collection. Is the Teak substantially different/better than those? I love the general sonic signature of the 2000's for sure.
Personally I think the older Denon drivers sound better than the EMU/Fostex drivers. However there are also differences between wood cups and plastic cups. The D2000 to my ears will be faster, punchier and crispier and a hotter treble, whereas the Teak will have a slightly more forward mid and is generally more refined.
You can mod your D2000 to take wood cups and purchase a pair of Teak or even Mahogany cups to try them.

Apr 23, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #1,613 of 1,967
Does anybody else have a pair of teaks only have 2 screws holding the driver to the chassis?
IMG_20210423_214106__01.jpg

Apr 24, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #1,614 of 1,967
Does anybody else have a pair of teaks only have 2 screws holding the driver to the chassis?IMG_20210423_214106__01.jpg

That should not be normal, but definitely assembling mistake. Just measure the screw (metric countersunk wood type) and buy extra to put in by yourself.

Apr 24, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #1,616 of 1,967
Does anybody else have a pair of teaks only have 2 screws holding the driver to the chassis?IMG_20210423_214106__01.jpg

I've owned two pairs of teaks, and both had all the screws. Something went a little off, there!

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #1,617 of 1,967
I inquired about the price of both teak and ebony cups with a new EMU Teak.

Apr 27, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #1,618 of 1,967
I have had the D7200 for 2 years now and it's by far leagues ahead of anything else I own, which are the the HD 58X, X2 and TYGR 300, expectedly of course. My main problem with them is that they're not really ideal for gaming because they lack depth and their imaging is inconsistent, meaning I can't really be precise, only know the general direction of a specific sound.

And now after doing much reading on the teak, I was wondering how fun is it for gaming ( mainly singleplayer games but a good portion of multiplayer too ) and how are their soundstage and imaging ?

May 10, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #1,619 of 1,967
So I recently met someone that was leaving the hobby, and bought their E-MU Ebony to compare with my Teaks. The mids seemed more recessed, but still fairly clear, particularly in the upper mids. The bass hit harder than the Teaks, though I found they were a little less controlled and bled into the mids just a touch. The subbass levels also seemed about the same. Not 100% sure on this, but it also seemed like the Ebony handled transients better and weren't as "blended" as the Teaks with complex music.

While the Ebonys were more exciting and the cups were gorgeous, I really liked the liquid Teak sound so I was planning on selling the Ebonys. But then I came across a listing for TH-900 Urushi cups and couldn't pass them up. The TH-900 caught my eye when I first started the hobby because of its unique look, but the price was always out of my league. The cups were on my bucket list since then, but I was never able to get a trade going until now.

fostex_1.jpg

The first thing I want to note is that the Urushi cups were a TIGHT fit. One of them wouldn't even go over the driver ring at first. I thought maybe they'd shrunk from moisture loss since the owner had kept them in storage, so I tried the plastic bag trick for 2 nights to rehydrate them. They didn't expand as much as I hoped, but it was just enough to get it squeezed on and screwed in. Wondering if any others who have tried swapping the Urushi cups had as much trouble as I did.

Some pics of the different cups for comparison.

fostex_2.jpg

fostex_3.jpg

The cups are all about the same diameter and thickness, but the inner depth for the Teaks is shaped differently as others have noted. I think the Ebony and the Urushi cups are identical in shape, just the Urushi cups have damping material glued onto the inside.

Weight-wise, the Ebony was noticeably heavier than the Teak and Urushi. The Urushi was surprisingly light. I wasn't able to weigh them but it felt similar to the Teak.

Sound-wise, they all sound noticeably different, but it's also subtle enough that it's hard for me to pinpoint exactly why while swapping between them. But just from my initial impression:
  • The Teaks still have the best mids. The Ebony and Urushi are more recessed in comparison and just don't have the same clarity or presence. The mids sound clear, but it's like they're blunted compared to the Teaks.
  • The Ebony has the most bass and slam, the Urushi is more similar to the Teaks in amount and control. But the Urushi has some subbass texture that the others don't. It kind of gives me planar bass vibes.
  • Urushi sounds more "blended" like the Teaks when handling transients, but otherwise most of the tonality is very similar to the Ebony. It's almost like a laidback Ebony.
  • I feel like there's some difference in soundstage and imaging between them, but my ears aren't quite good at picking up the subtleties there so can't really articulate that.
Might get a chance to use a better A/B setup for comparisons, so will update if that happens. I thought I'd just swap the Teak and Urushi cups every once in a while, but since my Urushi pair are so hard to fit, I might just keep them on the second E-MU and figure out what I want to do with the Ebony cups later.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #1,620 of 1,967
Which pads have you settled on? Still using the second link Ali one?
Yes, I am still using them with a small mod to increase the bass, I took the plastic attenuation rings from the original pads, as I will never use them, added a single layer of adhesive foam that children use for their crafts and put them inside the pads. I have been using them for about a year now and they did not show any sign of wearing out till now, which is great for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back