E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Mar 28, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #1,591 of 1,967
Just a heads up, but anyone who is looking for the headband pads should avoid the Vever/BD one linked above by amoeba. Just got it in today, it isn't even remotely close to being the correct size. I guess the BD headbands must be 1/2 the width of the Teak. On to the next one... *sigh*
I thought this as well but I was able to get all buttons on, my hand was absolutely killing after though. I undid the two outside buttons and it's added some comfort for sure. It doesn't look that good but I don't mind since it's only for inside listening.

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #1,592 of 1,967
Just a heads up, but anyone who is looking for the headband pads should avoid the Vever/BD one linked above by amoeba. Just got it in today, it isn't even remotely close to being the correct size. I guess the BD headbands must be 1/2 the width of the Teak. On to the next one... *sigh*

Crap man, sorry :frowning2: Maybe the band is different sizes now then the old D2K, but the Beyer band was what I replaced it with back in the day when the cushion of my modded D2K got all worn and ripped. I had to squish the cushion of the existing band a lot though.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #1,593 of 1,967
ZMF Pilot Pad fits well since it has more leeway than Beyerdynamics to fit over another headband. But unfortunately, I gave up on looking for replacement headbands for the Teaks because the extension is a few notches too little imo. Even the Beyerdynamics headband, which isn't that thick, makes it too thick when put on top of the existing headband unless you have a smaller head.

If it's about discomfort or pressure on the head (for me it's right in the center), using two pieces of foam to make something like the HD650 headband (where you have a gap in the center of the foam) works for me since it diverts pressure to the sides. I haven't tried them before, but maybe Dekoni Nuggets would have the same effect?

Someone used the nuggets in the Penrose thread and said it really improved comfort, but I think they tore off the cushion that came with the Penrose band.

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #1,595 of 1,967
Crap man, sorry :frowning2: Maybe the band is different sizes now then the old D2K, but the Beyer band was what I replaced it with back in the day when the cushion of my modded D2K got all worn and ripped. I had to squish the cushion of the existing band a lot though.
No worries, ordered through Amazon so easy returns :)

Just gotta keep looking till I find something that works I guess. I did try the other suggestions to stretch the hell out of the thing and got it closer but not quite. I noticed that to even get it to that point I was compressing the cushioning to the point that there wasn't much left. To get it completely on seems like it would ruin any benefit of the pad. Gonna try that other one you linked to next.

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #1,596 of 1,967
Apr 1, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #1,599 of 1,967
Tried the Accessory House earpads that others recommended, they're definitely the best third-party pads I've tried so far in terms of sound. It's still a bit different from the stock Teak sound, but hard for me to really pinpoint what it is in the time between pad swaps. I think primarily a bit less low end, so it sounds a bit brighter and cleaner but seems to lose some richness in exchange. But even though it's not exactly the same, the tonality remains well-balanced.

The pads themselves are a little bigger, but the thickness is spot-on, comes with an attenuation ring, and opening is off-center so treble isn't too hot. Physically, they really got close to the stock pads with these.

Comfort-wise, it's not much of an upgrade for my ears unfortunately. The opening is a little bigger, but my ears still feel cramped. The sheepskin feels nice, but also gets warm like the stock pads. I might still keep them though since I was looking for a way to make the Teaks a little more analytical-sounding without straying too far from their stock sound.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #1,600 of 1,967
Tried the Accessory House earpads that others recommended, they're definitely the best third-party pads I've tried so far in terms of sound. It's still a bit different from the stock Teak sound, but hard for me to really pinpoint what it is in the time between pad swaps. I think primarily a bit less low end, so it sounds a bit brighter and cleaner but seems to lose some richness in exchange. But even though it's not exactly the same, the tonality remains well-balanced.

The pads themselves are a little bigger, but the thickness is spot-on, comes with an attenuation ring, and opening is off-center so treble isn't too hot. Physically, they really got close to the stock pads with these.

Comfort-wise, it's not much of an upgrade for my ears unfortunately. The opening is a little bigger, but my ears still feel cramped. The sheepskin feels nice, but also gets warm like the stock pads. I might still keep them though since I was looking for a way to make the Teaks a little more analytical-sounding without straying too far from their stock sound.

The downside of swapping pads is that sounds will always be altered a bit, primarily due to the difference in material.

Apr 10, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,602 of 1,967
I came across someone who has an E-MU Teak with a dark finish that they bought directly from E-MU in December. Has anyone else bought one recently that has the same dark finish? If this is the finish E-MU is using now, I'll buy right away.

Attachments

• 7exwuj8f3cs61 (2).png
    7exwuj8f3cs61 (2).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #1,605 of 1,967
I came across someone who has an E-MU Teak with a dark finish that they bought directly from E-MU in December. Has anyone else bought one recently that has the same dark finish? If this is the finish E-MU is using now, I'll buy right away.
It's kind of hard to tell with the lighting in that picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back