E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
May 28, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #692 of 1,955
Jun 2, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #693 of 1,955
The Teaks are back up on Massdrop! Limit of 200 so they might be on sale for longer than 1 day. Hehe.

Jun 2, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #694 of 1,955
Howdy folks. I am just getting settled in with my second hand set of Fostex TH-X00. But I keep hearing that the Emu Teak is significantly better. @PopZeus I have read your posts and if I remember correctly you went from the fostex mahogany > fostex ebony > Emu Teak. After owning all 3 do you feel that they really are the best? I'm tempted to purchase to compare side by side with the fostex mahogany.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #695 of 1,955
Howdy folks. I am just getting settled in with my second hand set of Fostex TH-X00. But I keep hearing that the Emu Teak is significantly better. @PopZeus I have read your posts and if I remember correctly you went from the fostex mahogany > fostex ebony > Emu Teak. After owning all 3 do you feel that they really are the best? I'm tempted to purchase to compare side by side with the fostex mahogany.

Oh my god, you DID read the whole thread. Ha!

Actually, I first got the Purpleheart, not the Mahogany, which I quickly sold for the Ebony as they were not for me. The PH were way too V-shaped. Too much bass and treble and the mids too recessed. The EB are my idea of a EDM lover's delight. Still mid-scooped, but silky smooth and with enough mid-presence to play nicely with a variety of recordings and genres. Supposedly the Mahogany and Ebony are siblings in terms of tuning, one being a slightly refined version of the other. But I don't know what the MH bring to the party that the EB don't that you might find one preferable over the other. Tuning is often the most personal aspect of this hobby. It's not often about which one is "better" or not. It's about your ears, your music taste and why you get into this hobby. I don't have any need for completely flat or accurate tuning. I have a pair of studio monitors for that. I am obsessed with my Teaks because they draw me into the music I love, making me appreciate it more.

Speaking of personal, the Teak's tuning is ideal for rock, pop, folk, metal, or any guitar based genres. They are gently U-shaped, with a relatively neutral response in the mids. The sound is still bass forward on the Teak (as it is with every Fostex variant it seems), almost rivaling the EB in terms of sub-bass supremacy. The mid bass to treble response are flat-ish with only a hint of a dip. This is what personally won me over with this variant, as I'm annoyingly treble sensitive. Only the very top end of the treble gets a small boost, which is pretty much how Tyll put it in his review. The guy knows his game.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #696 of 1,955
Oh my god, you DID read the whole thread. Ha!

Actually, I first got the Purpleheart, not the Mahogany, which I quickly sold for the Ebony as they were not for me. The PH were way too V-shaped. Too much bass and treble and the mids too recessed. The EB are my idea of a EDM lover's delight. Still mid-scooped, but silky smooth and with enough mid-presence to play nicely with a variety of recordings and genres. Supposedly the Mahogany and Ebony are siblings in terms of tuning, one being a slightly refined version of the other. But I don't know what the MH bring to the party that the EB don't that you might find one preferable over the other. Tuning is often the most personal aspect of this hobby. It's not often about which one is "better" or not. It's about your ears, your music taste and why you get into this hobby. I don't have any need for completely flat or accurate tuning. I have a pair of studio monitors for that. I am obsessed with my Teaks because they draw me into the music I love, making me appreciate it more.

Speaking of personal, the Teak's tuning is ideal for rock, pop, folk, metal, or any guitar based genres. They are gently U-shaped, with a relatively neutral response in the mids. The sound is still bass forward on the Teak (as it is with every Fostex variant it seems), almost rivaling the EB in terms of sub-bass supremacy. The mid bass to treble response are flat-ish with only a hint of a dip. This is what personally won me over with this variant, as I'm annoyingly treble sensitive. Only the very top end of the treble gets a small boost, which is pretty much how Tyll put it in his review. The guy knows his game.

Lol yes I have read a good portion of these threads. Just goes to show you how important and influential anyone's posts can be. But yeah, thank you very much for your reply. It really sounds ideal to me as I do primarily listen to guitar based music and the genres you mentioned ( Sabbath on right now) I'm loving the TH-X00 but the treble... occasionally...still slightly abrasive. It is much better than when I first acquired it as my ears have adjusted, but some tracks I feel the need to lower the volume and then I don't get the impactful low end I really enjoy.

My only other complaint is the Fostex cable...yada yada yada. It's already been said 6000 times :darthsmile:.

Again I really appreciate your thoughts.

Jun 5, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #698 of 1,955
I'm tempted to go for the Mass Drop, and I've had these before for a short while and was impressed. The issue is I hear the cups on all variants can crack in dry weather. The Northeast where I am has a variety, but can get very dry from late fall through early spring. I've seen it in how the fret board on my bass guitars can expand and constrict based on the humidity (and temperature).

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #699 of 1,955
I'm tempted to go for the Mass Drop, and I've had these before for a short while and was impressed. The issue is I hear the cups on all variants can crack in dry weather. The Northeast where I am has a variety, but can get very dry from late fall through early spring. I've seen it in how the fret board on my bass guitars can expand and constrict based on the humidity (and temperature).

I'm in the northeast as well, got my Teaks in early January and haven't seen any cracking so far (fingers crossed).

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #702 of 1,955
Anyone with experience who can share their thoughts about how the E-MU Teaks compare against any of the ZMF headphones? And also how it compares to the TH-X00 with Lawton Tune-up mod?

Well, I own the ZMF Ori (formerly Omni) + listened fairly extensively to the Eikon (amazing design, the best "technicalities" I've ever heard, but no peaks in any part of frequency range).

3+ weeks ago I ordered the E MU teaks direct from Chan @E MU; if/when they ever get here, I'll be happy to contrast their sound w/the ZMF designs. I'm really looking forward to hearing the Teaks...

But therein lies a question: After waiting 3+ weeks from date or order w/no update or feedback from Chan (and no reply to most recent follow-up email), should I start worrying about this order? I mean, my credit card got charged just 1-2 days after ordering them, but here I am, lost in space.

To be fair to Chan, he seems like an extremely busy fellow who has to attend all audio shows worldwide to represent his headphones. He's also based in China, 11-12 hours' time different from east coast of U.S.

Still, I'm looking for feedback from any others on this tread who ordered their Teaks direct, as I did. How long did it take for your headphones to arrive?

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #703 of 1,955
Still, I'm looking for feedback from any others on this tread who ordered their Teaks direct, as I did. How long did it take for your headphones to arrive?

Chan confirmed receipt of my payment on 12/13/16 (I paid on the 12th), the headphones shipped out on the 27th, I got them on the east coast on the 30th. I was actually very surprised at how quick it was, though it was still about 2.5 weeks. Chan was always very responsive with me, though he did forget to send me the tracking info I had requested. It was a surprise when the headphones showed up.

I would send another email for a status update, I doubt it would bother him and he probably just missed it. You should have some peace of mind on a purchase like that.

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #704 of 1,955
Chan confirmed receipt of my payment on 12/13/16 (I paid on the 12th), the headphones shipped out on the 27th, I got them on the east coast on the 30th. I was actually very surprised at how quick it was, though it was still about 2.5 weeks. Chan was always very responsive with me, though he did forget to send me the tracking info I had requested. It was a surprise when the headphones showed up.

I would send another email for a status update, I doubt it would bother him and he probably just missed it. You should have some peace of mind on a purchase like that.

2 week turnaround from China at Christmas-time? Impressive! Reassuring to read that, actually.

Your advice is solid, too. In a day or two, I'll contact Chan again.

Another mitigating factor that may lengthen his response time (forgot to mention in my post above): I ordered my Teaks during the same week Massdrop had a drop for them. I don't believe it was terribly successful, as drops go (maybe 100 buyers? not sure); regardless, it meant a bunch of orders hit him around the same time mine did.

I hope for the best...

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #705 of 1,955
Has anyone else tried Eikon pads with these? Also, if someone ever developed a replacement inner ring thing (sewn into stock pads) that worked equally well, that could be inserted in such pads before putting them on the larger outer white ring (that attaches them to the cup) that would be great. I know a few have tried this. I mean someone actually making them in numbers and selling them to the rest of us perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back