E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Apr 5, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #661 of 1,969
I know Redco stopped making its "official" Teak replacement cable but I'm already sick of the python-esque cable that came with these and wondered if the Redco custom cable linked to earlier in this thread will work with the Teaks: http://www.redco.com/Custom-Cable.html?cableid=sbrdmY

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #662 of 1,969
  I know Redco stopped making its "official" Teak replacement cable but I'm already sick of the python-esque cable that came with these and wondered if the Redco custom cable linked to earlier in this thread will work with the Teaks: http://www.redco.com/Custom-Cable.html?cableid=sbrdmY

I've had Dyson Audio make me several cables for these. But really, any dual-entry 2.5 cable should work.

I agree - the first thing I did when I bout these was replace the 10-ft-long stock cables. 

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #663 of 1,969

I'm wondering if the issue is with my pair in particular, or if the quality control on the Teaks is just all over the place. Even with the original cable, the red and black connectors each fit slightly differently into the headphones. Both are reasonably secure, but there's a distinct difference when you push them in. And, if I look at the Redco cable and the original side by side, the connectors look so close to identical that there really shouldn't be an issue. I don't know.

But yeah, please let us know as soon as you receive the OCC PM-2 cable and whether it's good or not. I'm willing to try everything. You're referring to this one? 

Yeah, that's the one I'm expecting to arrive later this week or next.

I noticed that the 2.5mm holes on the Teak aren't inset very far into the larger opening, so larger ring around the bottom of the 2.5 plug on the cable provides no friction or support to a successful connection. In other words, a successful connection is almost incomprehensible from an unsuccessful one from a tactile sense, and all the parts have to be machined exact to spec in order to achieve one as a result of that quirk.

Apr 5, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #664 of 1,969

At this point, I'm hoping the eBay cable I've got shipping from China (100% positive feedback, so fingers crossed!) will work and sound like the original vacuum cleaner cord, but at only 1.2m length. I'm pretty much buying it exclusively to listen to my DAP and for whatever reason, the Redco cable doesn't sit well with my Shanling M5.

I feel bad too because Chris at Redco really tried to get an "official" replacement cable off the ground for the audiophile community and it wasn't easy, obviously.

Apr 6, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #665 of 1,969

At this point, I'm hoping the eBay cable I've got shipping from China (100% positive feedback, so fingers crossed!) will work and sound like the original vacuum cleaner cord, but at only 1.2m length. I'm pretty much buying it exclusively to listen to my DAP and for whatever reason, the Redco cable doesn't sit well with my Shanling M5.

I feel bad too because Chris at Redco really tried to get an "official" replacement cable off the ground for the audiophile community and it wasn't easy, obviously.

Let us know how that eBay cable works out. Is your problem with the Redco and the Shanling is down the the 3.5mm plug fitting correctly, or some deeper wiring problem? My main concern is the 2.5mm connectors and whether they stay connected at the headphone end. 

I wish EM-U could have included a second cable, or at least given us the option to have a shorter one. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #666 of 1,969

Let us know how that eBay cable works out. Is your problem with the Redco and the Shanling is down the the 3.5mm plug fitting correctly, or some deeper wiring problem? My main concern is the 2.5mm connectors and whether they stay connected at the headphone end. 

I wish EM-U could have included a second cable, or at least given us the option to have a shorter one. 

I've bought 3 cables form Dyson Audio: One 3.5mm SE, one 6.3m SE and one 4-pin balanced. Good quality, reasonable prices. And the connectors he uses never come out the way the stock ones did.

Link: http://stores.ebay.com/dysonaudio/. He's based in the US, so the wait times are reasonable. He can do custom cables in 3 business days, and ships out USPS First Class. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #667 of 1,969

It's a physical issue, as in the 3.5mm source connector on the cable keeps popping out of the 3.5mm headphone output on the DAP whenever it is gently tapped, as if the connector was too wide or fat at the tip so it can't get a proper clamp (where the tip gets skinny before ring/sleeve starts) when inserted. It almost seems like a QC issue from the aftermarket parts manufacturer.

Apr 6, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #668 of 1,969

I've bought 3 cables form Dyson Audio: One 3.5mm SE, one 6.3m SE and one 4-pin balanced. Good quality, reasonable prices. And the connectors he uses never come out the way the stock ones did.

Link: http://stores.ebay.com/dysonaudio/. He's based in the US, so the wait times are reasonable. He can do custom cables in 3 business days, and ships out USPS First Class. 

Thanks for this, will definitely look into and report my results as well.

Apr 7, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #670 of 1,969
To anyone who was wondering... It's the real deal if you're looking for a basic cable for portable use (although portable is a relative term for this pair). The fit is excellent at both ends. It's a bit (scratch that, a lot) more microphonic than the stock cable above the L/R split since that part of the cable isn't as insulated, but for whatever reason, I don't get a lot of noise from that area when in use. Of course others might get more but these aren't exactly the "wear outside" type of headphones to begin with. The cable is great for listening around the house. As it turns out the Teak and M5 are an exceptional pairing as well, so I'm doubly happy to have the Teak in my set-up. Soundstage is closer to open-back. I think I'm done trying to upgrade my primary cans.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122369804019?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=422852044769&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The direct link above doesn't work. You have to copy & paste it in the address bar.

Edited to focus on relevant details and not lead with a dang link.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #671 of 1,969
I don't normally do this, but I thought it's possible someone would be interested, since a lot of people are having trouble with aftermarket cables.

I'm selling my 6-ft Dyson cable with the 6.3mm termination in the Classifieds. It worked great with my E-MU Teaks,the connectors are much tighter than the stock cable, and it's very lightweight and flexible.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/843901/fs-2-5mm-dual-entry-cable-for-hifiman-oppo-focal-sennheiser/0_100#post_13413541

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #673 of 1,969
I'm currently using ZMF Ori/Omni pads on my Teaks, but I'm thinking of changing it up. How do people feel about the Dekoni lambskin pads for the TH-900? With the mounting rings, will they fit?

Thanks!

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #674 of 1,969
... How do people feel about the Dekoni lambskin pads for the TH-900? With the mounting rings, will they fit?

Thanks!

Still too small for my ears. They will fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back