E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Dec 31, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #511 of 1,969
They look terrific! Looking forward to mine!

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #513 of 1,969
Zebra wood does look unique but I wonder if it will be too soft (easy to get dings) and affected by moisture (less density).

Jan 2, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #514 of 1,969
Finally! 

Headphones arrived yesterday, was a nice surprise since it was my birthday.
I just plugged them and already within 1st song I am very happy I bought them.
Such an improvement from ATH-m50x, im shocked.
If I were to describe first impressions with one word: WOW

Seems that my ears fit perfectly with stock pads, feel lucky :)

Would like to thank Chan for this!

Pictures:

Jan 4, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #516 of 1,969
Does anyone knows which ones (if they are there) are the zebras here? It's difficult to get Chan to send me pics :/

Also no other housing has the same sound signature as the Teaks?

http://emu.com/index.php/gallery/housing

Jan 4, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #519 of 1,969
  I would really like to try teak against some other wood to see if the difference is so big as some people say....

it's not per se the wood, but rather that teak was strong enough so that Chan could rout it out more, and thus have a larger cavity without making the cups looks gigantic.  He tried using the dimensions he uses for the teak cups on ebony and they all broke pretty easily.  Teak is strong enough to not crack with that thinness.  

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #520 of 1,969
it's not per se the wood, but rather that teak was strong enough so that Chan could rout it out more, and thus have a larger cavity without making the cups looks gigantic.  He tried using the dimensions he uses for the teak cups on ebony and they all broke pretty easily.  Teak is strong enough to not crack with that thinness.  

Teak vs ebony

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #521 of 1,969
Drop is live. Limit of 100!

I love my TH-X00 EB so I'm approaching the treble on the E-MU Teak with some skepticism. Will the Teaks be more fatiguing? Will the teak cups pull more of the mids out than the ebony cups? Can I find a shorter than 10 ft cable??

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #522 of 1,969
The teaks are less fatiguing and have more mids.  Ebonies beat them on bass though.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #524 of 1,969
That's good to know. I had read from a few people that the Teaks had more treble than the TH-X00 non-PH variants, but it could just be distributed more evenly across the spectrum. And as far as the bass goes, the ebonies pretty much give me all the bass I could ever want, so a tad less wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Especially if it's accompanied by a slight boost in the mid-range. Looking forward to getting them in!

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #525 of 1,969
I just bought the MDR-Z1R's, which I absolutely love, but I'm still tempted to pick these up. If not for anything else, than just to satisfy my curiosity and to review/compare them. Decisions decisions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back