E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Dec 27, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #496 of 1,969
  I asked Emu also and I'm quite confused about the wood selection and also the price seems went up a lot?

Teak headphones with detachable cable are 500.

Cups:

$120 for Ebony, Palo Santo
 $100 for Rose,  Mahogany, Purple Heart, Sabili, Zebra

He suggested to take Teak + Ebony to have the best of both worlds.

Now, That would be 500 + 120 + shipping... = quite a lot. Now, is that easy to change cups that will not damage the wood/structure/screws after a couple of changes? Also, if it takes like 30 minutes.. I don't know how willing will I be chaning the sound.

On a side note, I dont really like the Teak color but seems most people find it the best?

I think those prices are pretty close to what they charged during the drop. I can't say for certain as I missed it but it would make sense (to me) for them to charge a little bit more outside a drop, I guess.

@fjrabon has some good impression of the different wood cups in the last few pages, I think. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #498 of 1,969
  Anyone tried the Zebra wood? Shoud be similar to the teak?

I believe that wood is fairly new for E-Mu.   I don't know anyone who has it.

As far as similarity to the Teak, I just wanted to point something out:  They make the add-on cups the same size/shapes as what you'd find on the TH-X00, which is different than the size and shape of the Teak cup.  The difference is not super obvious in pictures, but the unique shape of the Teak cup is what helps to improve the sound vs all of the other cups.  

So, with that said, no, I would imagine the zebrawood would not sound like the Teak cup.  None of the other cups I've tried on my pair sound like the Teak cup.  The Teak cup is magical, and I suspect it was handcrafted by unicorns.  

The zebrawood might sound similar to the rosewood cup, perhaps the walnut, but not the Teak.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #499 of 1,969
  I believe that wood is fairly new for E-Mu.   I don't know anyone who has it.

As far as similarity to the Teak, I just wanted to point something out:  They make the add-on cups the same size/shapes as what you'd find on the TH-X00, which is different than the size and shape of the Teak cup.  The difference is not super obvious in pictures, but the unique shape of the Teak cup is what helps to improve the sound vs all of the other cups.  

So, with that said, no, I would imagine the zebrawood would not sound like the Teak cup.  None of the other cups I've tried on my pair sound like the Teak cup.  The Teak cup is magical, and I suspect it was handcrafted by unicorns.  

The zebrawood might sound similar to the rosewood cup, perhaps the walnut, but not the Teak.

Thing is, at least from the pictures, I don't like the look of the teak wood. According to this http://www.lawtonaudio.com/type3woods.html it should give a natural tone.

For the pics I've seen, E-MU is miles away from the Lawton quality, but again... I would never pay like 450 usd just for a pair of cups. Again, as someone mentioned before... I don't think it's also night and day the sound difference from Ebony to Teak. Would never be able to compare them unless I buy them, but again... I want a single pair that I like.

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #500 of 1,969

Thing is, at least from the pictures, I don't like the look of the teak wood. According to this http://www.lawtonaudio.com/type3woods.html it should give a natural tone.

For the pics I've seen, E-MU is miles away from the Lawton quality, but again... I would never pay like 450 usd just for a pair of cups. Again, as someone mentioned before... I don't think it's also night and day the sound difference from Ebony to Teak. Would never be able to compare them unless I buy them, but again... I want a single pair that I like.

I wouldn't take anything from the Lawton site and apply it outside of Lawton products.   Their cups are huge in comparison to oem cups, and this has a major impact on sound.

As for the difference between ebony and teak, the tonal differences are small but noticeable, but the improved depth and imaging of the Teaks are also better than the ebony, rosewood or PH that I've heard too.

I'm just saying, expect differences from Teak to zebrawood, with the teak likely sounding better.

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #501 of 1,969
Just reporting that the Teaks (w/ removable cable) I ordered directly from Chan have arrived! They shipped on the 27th, only took 3 days to get from Singapore to East Coast US, and right before the weekend too.

I wouldn't call the packaging fantastic... dinged up, thin cardboard box with a layer of bubble wrap and some foam thrown in - but hey, it worked I guess. Headphones look perfect, and sounded phenomenal on a quick test from my iPhone. As soon as work is out I'll run home and plug 'em into my new Magni 2 Uber for the full experience. I'm thinking about just going home "sick"...

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #502 of 1,969
  Just reporting that the Teaks (w/ removable cable) I ordered directly from Chan have arrived! They shipped on the 27th, only took 3 days to get from Singapore to East Coast US, and right before the weekend too.

I wouldn't call the packaging fantastic... dinged up, thin cardboard box with a layer of bubble wrap and some foam thrown in - but hey, it worked I guess. Headphones look perfect, and sounded phenomenal on a quick test from my iPhone. As soon as work is out I'll run home and plug 'em into my new Magni 2 Uber for the full experience. I'm thinking about just going home "sick"...

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!

=P

Hehehe, welcome to the Teak Club. 

First rule of Teak Club is you DO NOT talk about Teak Club.

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #503 of 1,969
Yes pictures please. Still waiting on mine!

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #504 of 1,969

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!

=P

Hehehe, welcome to the Teak Club. 

First rule of Teak Club is you DO NOT talk about Teak Club.

Yes pictures please. Still waiting on mine!

Hahaha. Sorry, I didn't take them off my head until I went to bed last night - it's true love. Here's a quick set. I'm not much of an photographer, tried to get a couple different lightings with my phone though...

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #505 of 1,969

Hahaha. Sorry, I didn't take them off my head until I went to bed last night - it's true love. Here's a quick set. I'm not much of an photographer, tried to get a couple different lightings with my phone though...

nice.  I definitely think the Teaks are underrated in the looks department.  I love the grain and the non-gloss finish on them.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #506 of 1,969

Looks great. Can't wait for mine. How do they sound out of the Magni?

Dec 31, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #507 of 1,969
  nice.  I definitely think the Teaks are underrated in the looks department.  I love the grain and the non-gloss finish on them.

Yeah, I kept having second thoughts every time I would look at pics of the TH-X00s, but after finally having them in person, that is no more. The teak cups, and their finish, are really beautiful.

Looks great. Can't wait for mine. How do they sound out of the Magni?

I don't have much to compare it to. At some point I'll see what differences I can detect versus driving the Teaks directly from my phone, or out of my Xonar STX (which has a relatively high output impedance). That being said, they sound fantastic out of the Magni. If there's a way for them to sound better, well, **** me.

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #508 of 1,969

Yeah, I kept having second thoughts every time I would look at pics of the TH-X00s, but after finally having them in person, that is no more. The teak cups, and their finish, are really beautiful.

I don't have much to compare it to. At some point I'll see what differences I can detect versus driving the Teaks directly from my phone, or out of my Xonar STX (which has a relatively high output impedance). That being said, they sound fantastic out of the Magni. If there's a way for them to sound better, well, **** me.

I was originally in on the TH-X00 ebony drop that just finished, had to bail due to some unforeseen expenses...but things worked out such that I was able to get an order for Teaks in through Chan. I got a set of extra cups in ebony to go with. Have a Vali 2 and Modi 2U en route also. I can't wait. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #509 of 1,969

I like your cups.

... That wasn't weird...

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #510 of 1,969
I like your cups.

... That wasn't weird...

Perfectly normal on this forum
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back