E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Nov 14, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #406 of 1,969

Hey guys,

Just want to ask the people that got this through massdrop if there's any QC/finishing problems? I'm refunding the purplehearts because the cups and frame had obviously visible finish problems. Not what I expected on a $400+ piece of kit. I'm praying the teaks will have better QC/finishing. I love the sound of the purplehearts and hopefully the bass is similar with the teaks.

The finish Chan uses in the teals is much more durable and high quality than the finish fostex uses. At least when it comes to the finish there shouldn't be any QC issues. The rest of the apparatus would be the same as what fostex uses, which has been fairly durable. The connectors are new, and there isn't any feedback yet at how durable they are.

Yes I feel that. I actually like the EMU/Denon frame better than Fostex too. The design is still original Denoni (notice the curved holder of the fork that's curved in sync with the cups, instead of the straight holder on Fostex).

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #407 of 1,969
fjarabon,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm praying for the QC/finish to be fine on the teaks since I'm on the drop with detachable cables. I've attached pics for reference as to the finishing issues I'm talking about.

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #408 of 1,969
I noticed the curved hinge and different color but I'm neutral on it.  My only concern is finishing issues on the frame itself.  Really not trying to be a pain in the a** since Massdrop has handled this situation as well as anyone could hope for since they sent out free polish as well as offering a refund.  

Honestly, if it was only minor swirls/marks on the cups I wouldn't go through the trouble but since the frame has issues as well then might as well go for the Teak. 

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #409 of 1,969
fjarabon,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm praying for the QC/finish to be fine on the teaks since I'm on the drop with detachable cables. I've attached pics for reference as to the finishing issues I'm talking about.

Something tells me EMU will live up. After their previous drops no one was to complain of QC. BTW, nice going with the detachable. I think with the feature, the EMU is just better in every way than the X00s.

Yeah I didn't like the heavy weight of the stock cables and I've modded my EMU detachable. Best of luck with ur drop - your getting stock detachable. I think now EMU has just become a freaking legend, as Fostex/Denon took their time in detaching cables, and EMU's mechanism is SIMPLY - SUPERIOR in every way. Magnesium parts for detachable look much more solid.

Godspeed!

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #410 of 1,969
  I noticed the curved hinge and different color but I'm neutral on it.  My only concern is finishing issues on the frame itself.  Really not trying to be a pain in the a** since Massdrop has handled this situation as well as anyone could hope for since they sent out free polish as well as offering a refund.  

Honestly, if it was only minor swirls/marks on the cups I wouldn't go through the trouble but since the frame has issues as well then might as well go for the Teak. 

I highly recommend the teak cups but its also worth choosing another bass-heavier wood to complement the teak, esp if you're a fan of the purpleheart sound.  My personal favourite and recommendation is the rosewood.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #411 of 1,969

I highly recommend the teak cups but its also worth choosing another bass-heavier wood to complement the teak, esp if you're a fan of the purpleheart sound.  My personal favourite and recommendation is the rosewood.

Yeah. Well from my understanding, here's the hardness sequence, and pretty much the bass sequence, too:

+ + + + + + + + + + + + B A S S - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ebony > Purple Heart > Teak > Rosewood > Mahogany

So I guess ebony would be the bassiest and Mahogany the least. Teak is just the sweet spot.

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #412 of 1,969
Yeah. Well from my understanding, here's the hardness sequence, and pretty much the bass sequence, too:

[COLOR=000000]Ebony[/COLOR] > [COLOR=A52A2A]Purple Heart[/COLOR] > [COLOR=A52A2A]Teak[/COLOR] > [COLOR=B22222]Rosewood[/COLOR] > [COLOR=FF0000]Mahogany[/COLOR]

So I guess ebony would be the bassiest and Mahogany the least. Teak is just the sweet spot.

Have to disagree with you, thats actually quite misleading. The rosewood is of a similar density to the purpleheart and ebony, so it has lots of bass but with just a little more sparkle in the treble to give it an edge over the other two.

Remember the teak has an entirely different chamber design to the other woods and it results in a more spacious and balanced sound. The rosewood is slightly more closed but perfect for electronica and rock music

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #413 of 1,969
chry5alis,

Thanks for the heads up!  I've emailed Chan to see if I can get the purpleheart as well since I'm refunding the thx00 PH.  Have you tested the rose vs. ph?

Nov 16, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #414 of 1,969

Ebony > Purple Heart > Teak > Rosewood > Mahogany

Have to disagree with you, thats actually quite misleading. The rosewood is of a similar density to the purpleheart and ebony, so it has lots of bass but with just a little more sparkle in the treble to give it an edge over the other two.

Remember the teak has an entirely different chamber design to the other woods and it results in a more spacious and balanced sound. The rosewood is slightly more closed but perfect for electronica and rock music

I don't see how what I said is QUITE MISLEADING. Yes, the Teaks have better, more mastered finishing and chambers.
As for the woods, this is why I said what I said:

If you think about it, hardness and density is a major play in sound here. These specs of woods are a DIRECT REFLECTION of what I said.

Yes, ebony and purple-heart is too hard to finish finely. Mahogany and Rosewood can be finished as finely as Teak. Thing is, they ain't hard or dense enough.

Hence, why Teak is a sweet spot for acoustics is since 1) it can be finished finely as the less denser woods, BUT 2) it is still dense and hard enough to provide the more solid performance of Ebony and PH, hence... the SWEET SPOT as I said. It won't be as bassey, but still relaxed overall. So yes, the ideal wood here for closer to neutral requirements.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #415 of 1,969
Yes but you infer that density/hardness directly relates to bass. Im trying to explain that because of the difference in chamber design, this isnt the case. If you have tried the different cups you would know this. For levels of bass I would order the cups more as Ebony>Purpleheart>Rosewood>Mahogany>Teak.

Nov 16, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #416 of 1,969
chry5alis,

Thanks for the heads up!  I've emailed Chan to see if I can get the purpleheart as well since I'm refunding the thx00 PH.  Have you tested the rose vs. ph?

I havent tried the purpleheart, only teak, rosewood and ebony. The cups are so individual though that its unwise to group each cup of similar wood type as identical. A good example of this is the quarter grain cups vs cross grain cups discussed earlier in the thread

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #417 of 1,969
Yes but you infer that density/hardness directly relates to bass. Im trying to explain that because of the difference in chamber design, this isnt the case. If you have tried the different cups you would know this. For levels of bass I would order the cups more as Ebony>Purpleheart>Rosewood>Mahogany>Teak.

Hmmm... okay. Point noted and motion sustained. So teaks have that low bass? I didn't feel that with all those opinions. Hmm... Good thing I went with Ebony. I like my bass.
Well gotta try all the woods to see what's going on. Yeah BTW, I think Teak has the thinnest overall package... like in the mm thickness of the wooden cups overall. They're quite open on the inside. I guess it improves sound-stage at the cost of bass.

Nov 16, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #418 of 1,969
I have both the Teak and the Ebony cups and I wouldn't say the actual soundstage is different. The Teak has airier sound signature, so maybe it feels a bit more open, but in my experience only different pads make an actual difference in the soundtage. 

I think if you buy a Teak headphone you should also buy a Teak cup with it. It has very good bass without being too much, it has very clean treble without being ever harsh (with good recordings), it also has a very "fluid" texture, it's quite special. The Ebony is more like a usual V-shaped sound signature. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #419 of 1,969
Anybody contact Chan/Emu recently?  I've emailed twice in 3 weeks without a response.  Still interested in picking up Purpleheart cups to go with the Teaks.  

Going off-topic a little bit but interesting to see Denon partnering with Fostex again on the 7200.  Design looks good and backed by the good old 'free edge' biodyna.  Lot more $ though.  :wink:

Nov 28, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #420 of 1,969
  Anybody contact Chan/Emu recently?  I've emailed twice in 3 weeks without a response.  Still interested in picking up Purpleheart cups to go with the Teaks.  

Going off-topic a little bit but interesting to see Denon partnering with Fostex again on the 7200.  Design looks good and backed by the good old 'free edge' biodyna.  Lot more $ though.  :wink:

Ah man... I just got over the EMU purchase and need to enjoy... You distracting dude you! Don't increase the urge for the 7200 just yet man...

Damn. I think we'll all die bankrupt with infinite cans and dacs and amps hahaha!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back