E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Nov 4, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #376 of 1,967

Just swapped out the Teak cups for the Rosewood Chan sent my way, and the difference is more apparent than I would’ve initially thought.
Rosewood sounds crisper, faster, more energetic. However, perhaps separation takes a hit, and I’m not sure if sub-bass is less pronounced.
The Teak, on the other hand, is super mellow and relaxed, but mids in particular are noticeably more recessed and diffused. Relaxing, liquid, rich, like honey-dipped chocolate.
Not sure which I like more to be honest, but I’ll continue listening.
Giving it some extra thought, in the IEM world, the Teak cups overall sound more like the Audio Technica ATH-IM70, while the Rosewood sounds like the ATH-E40. Not sure if this is a helpful comparison for those who can’t try the Teak / TH-X00 but hey, I try.
Also, side note relating to the discussion on swapping out wood cups, I now understand better what the kerfuffle is about… To add my 2 cents, I think using a magnetic screwdriver might help the operation go smoother, and definitely do what another user has said, which is to always hold the headphone with the cups pointing towards the ground while unscrewing. Common sense-esk, but good to always remember.

Finally dude. You got em, hunh. Good. I had actually read your views too and bought em and kept wondering when you'd bite the bullet. Finally!

So you did bring a lot to the table. BTW, someone said MrSpeakers (Ether Cs for that matter) dont have the bass the X00 and EMU have. So for bass, I'm VERY VERY positive these variants may just be the most resolving... even over JVC BassBombs (I have the JVC HA-SZ1000s) since these have textured and smooth bass... quality over quantity any day for audiophiles. Moreover, the bass is enough for headpounders too.

Yeah I think overall the mids and highs are more relaxed and not that exciting... they're ever so dynamic for me, and personally, I'm ok with those non-bass reproductions. Effortless overall. That's what these cans are. Sound appears and then disappears so fast. It's nice.

BTW yes, the BeyerDynamic T5 is of course a more premium pair... I think that is a top echelon make and sits on top of the dynamic cans pyramid. But that's it. That's the end. Surprisingly, these tesla magnet cans put even planars to shame sometimes.

How did you compare the ATH IEMs with these? They're closed, whereas these variants have a very wide soundstage. How is the soundstage on the ATH?

I personally think the TY HiZ (32/150/400/650 ohms) earbuds may be more closer to the X00/EMU sound overall. They are open back and have a very satisfying low end. Fast and punchy. I will review all that stuff with the monks (+, candy) as soon as I get em so I'll update all of you if we can find the EMU sound in a smaller, more portable package. Soon...

BTW

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #378 of 1,967

Finally dude. You got em, hunh. Good. I had actually read your views too and bought em and kept wondering when you'd bite the bullet. Finally!

So you did bring a lot to the table. BTW, someone said MrSpeakers (Ether Cs for that matter) dont have the bass the X00 and EMU have. So for bass, I'm VERY VERY positive these variants may just be the most resolving... even over JVC BassBombs (I have the JVC HA-SZ1000s) since these have textured and smooth bass... quality over quantity any day for audiophiles. Moreover, the bass is enough for headpounders too.

Yeah I think overall the mids and highs are more relaxed and not that exciting... they're ever so dynamic for me, and personally, I'm ok with those non-bass reproductions. Effortless overall. That's what these cans are. Sound appears and then disappears so fast. It's nice.

BTW yes, the BeyerDynamic T5 is of course a more premium pair... I think that is a top echelon make and sits on top of the dynamic cans pyramid. But that's it. That's the end. Surprisingly, these tesla magnet cans put even planars to shame sometimes.

How did you compare the ATH IEMs with these? They're closed, whereas these variants have a very wide soundstage. How is the soundstage on the ATH?

I personally think the TY HiZ (32/150/400/650 ohms) earbuds may be more closer to the X00/EMU sound overall. They are open back and have a very satisfying low end. Fast and punchy. I will review all that stuff with the monks (+, candy) as soon as I get em so I'll update all of you if we can find the EMU sound in a smaller, more portable package. Soon...

BTW

First off, wow I'm actually impressed you made your purchase decision influenced by stuff I said. Lucky you (and me) the Teaks are good, perhaps take what I say in the future with grains of salt... That'll make me less nervous *uneasy laugh*
All jokes aside, yes I am very glad I chomped down and got these, they are wonderful headphones, and I honestly can see myself living with just these. No other headphone has fit my personal preference so closely at such a reasonable price (so far).
And btw, the comparison to the T5P was solely based on it being my personal subjective top pick for favourite headphone, and also based on the fact it was a closed pair of headphones. Also, the comparison doesn't hurt because they actually sound more similar than one might expect, especially with the Rosewood cups on the E-MU.
To answer your question, the comparison to the ATH-IM70 and ATH-E40 was solely based on the general frequency response (i.e. sound signature). The IM70 is relaxed, mellow, liquid, very similar to the Teak, while the Rosewood is comparatively bombastic, fast, energetic, like how the E40 differs from the IM70.
To answer your second question, I do find the IM70 and E40 sound more spacious and 3-dimensional than the standard fare $100 IEM, but of course it isn't at all fair to critique an IEM's sound stage with a full size headphone. Apples vs cheese, completely different planet.
Bottom Line: The comparison between the ATH IEMs and the Teak was only meant to help those who can't demo contextualise what the Teak/TH-X00 might sound like, emphasis on might, and it helps that the ATH IEMs are easy to demo.
I really should've made the above more clear in the original post, but I was afraid it was too long-winded. Thanks for asking to clarify.
Side note, will look into the TY HIZ you mentioned if my brain crammed with work matters can remember.
Side side note that isn't actually irrelevant, can't wait to try the Mahogany and Purplehearts over the coming weeks, Chan told me that'll give me a more than decent idea of what the Fostex TH-X00's target sound is like. That'll be highly interesting - the Purplehearts are super dense and heavy, which may mean a superbly noticeable difference in sound from the thin and light Teak.

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #379 of 1,967

How are the Teak's mids compared to the T5P's? I've found the T5P v1's mids to be lacking for me

Before I answer, just to set the context:
1) I tried the T5P V1, I have not tried the V2 (version 2). I was told by the salesperson at Jaben Singapore that there "should not" be a difference between the two other than the detachable cable, but Head-Fi users have consistently pointed out sonic differences they've heard. I don't know which version, 1 or 2, you tried, ymmv.
2) I mostly drive the Teak out of my Fiio Q1 DAC/amp, and used the same Q1 when demoing the T5P. Especially with Beyer's Tessla drivers, I've noticed amping does change the sound greatly, even for the 'P' portable models (T70P and T5P).
With this out of the way...
I would say that if you found the mids lacking on the T5P, you will not enjoy the E-MU Teak with the Teak cups. Mid-range is pretty recessed and diffused, preferring a super laid back presentation over the risk of being too forward.
When I tried the T5P, I did not find the mid-range lacking, most likely due to my high frequency sensitivity. I thought it sounded creamy, smooth, highly pleasant with richness and body. Imo, was lovely.
Experience with the Rosewood cups has me thinking that the E-MU with Rosewood may be more to your liking. Mid-range and treble has a bit more attack and brightness than it does with the Teak wood, but is never strident or harsh. That said, for absolute mid-range forwardness, the Rosewood still isn't the last word, and you might be better off looking at AKG, Audio Technica, etc.
Hope this rambles make sense to you, and that this has been helpful in some way. Feel free to ask more, I'll always try my best to answer. Cheers!

Nov 5, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #380 of 1,967

Before I answer, just to set the context:
1) I tried the T5P V1, I have not tried the V2 (version 2). I was told by the salesperson at Jaben Singapore that there "should not" be a difference between the two other than the detachable cable, but Head-Fi users have consistently pointed out sonic differences they've heard. I don't know which version, 1 or 2, you tried, ymmv.
2) I mostly drive the Teak out of my Fiio Q1 DAC/amp, and used the same Q1 when demoing the T5P. Especially with Beyer's Tessla drivers, I've noticed amping does change the sound greatly, even for the 'P' portable models (T70P and T5P).
With this out of the way...
I would say that if you found the mids lacking on the T5P, you will not enjoy the E-MU Teak with the Teak cups. Mid-range is pretty recessed and diffused, preferring a super laid back presentation over the risk of being too forward.
When I tried the T5P, I did not find the mid-range lacking, most likely due to my high frequency sensitivity. I thought it sounded creamy, smooth, highly pleasant with richness and body. Imo, was lovely.
Experience with the Rosewood cups has me thinking that the E-MU with Rosewood may be more to your liking. Mid-range and treble has a bit more attack and brightness than it does with the Teak wood, but is never strident or harsh. That said, for absolute mid-range forwardness, the Rosewood still isn't the last word, and you might be better off looking at AKG, Audio Technica, etc.
Hope this rambles make sense to you, and that this has been helpful in some way. Feel free to ask more, I'll always try my best to answer. Cheers!

I haven't tried them for a while, so I'll plug them into my stack and see how I feel about them now. Thanks for the reply

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #382 of 1,967
To the folks who keep in touch with the designer, what are the other 5 wood options besides the teak and ebony?

So far...
Teak, Rosewood, Ebony, Maple, Ash, Purpleheart, Mahogany, possibly Oak, and maybe Walnut since that wood is used in the other model. Chan likely may add more woods & is a super guy.

Have the E-MU Rosewood and they stomp my Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany; also have other model E-MU Walnut and they're great woodies for the price.

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #383 of 1,967
Still not sure what woods to order from massdrop. Which wood has the best bass? (impact and rumble)

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #386 of 1,967

To the folks who keep in touch with the designer, what are the other 5 wood options besides the teak and ebony?

So far...
Teak, Rosewood, Ebony, Maple, Ash, Purpleheart, Mahogany, possibly Oak, and maybe Walnut since that wood is used in the other model. Chan likely may add more woods & is a super guy.

Have the E-MU Rosewood and they stomp my Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany; also have other model E-MU Walnut and they're great woodies for the price.

E-MU also just added 3 more woods - Sapele, Palo Santo and Zebrawood.

Nov 7, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #387 of 1,967
Is Chan actually selling these new wood types? I know he's always tinkering with different woods, doesn't necessarily mean they will be offered to the public for purchase.

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #388 of 1,967
Is Chan actually selling these new wood types? I know he's always tinkering with different woods, doesn't necessarily mean they will be offered to the public for purchase.

Yes, addition of the 3 latest woods (Sapele, Palo Santo & Zebrawood) are shown in photos on MassDrop today with Chan's note to email him if wanting to buy these additional cups for sale or modifications.

I'm not affiliated; Chan may have more wood types available if you email him. Surely he will be adding more different wood cup types for sale to the list with time.

The MassDrop run is again dropping for Teak, Rosewood & Ebony woods only.

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #389 of 1,967
Yes, addition of the 3 latest woods (Sapele, Palo Santo & Zebrawood) are shown in photos on MassDrop today with Chan's note to email him if wanting to buy these additional cups for sale or modifications.

I'm not affiliated; Chan may have more wood types available if you email him. Surely he will be adding more different wood cup types for sale to the list with time.

The MassDrop run is again dropping for Teak, Rosewood & Ebony woods only.

Nice! Really tempted myself now. Is he offering the usual discount to people who own the headphones?

Nov 7, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #390 of 1,967
Hello,
Quick question:
On the e-mu site they offer teak audiophile reference headphones for $999.
Are these comparable? Just shorter cable (6 feet vs 3 meters)
Or is there some major difference that I have not identified?
PS
I did read the whole thread before asking this :wink:
Thanks in advance for any help.

Maybe it is SGD $999 and USD $600/ Massdrop USD$499?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back