E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Jul 1, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #241 of 1,969
  It is July now. Are there any news on the detachable cable version of the headphone?

Kind of
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #242 of 1,969
What material is recommanded? Or should I buy the lawton kit? And doest it reduces the bass? Because I don't want that.

It shifts the bass from midbass to sub bass. The bass sounds tighter rather than thick. So it mostly depends on how you like your bass. If you like that thick, warm, slightly fuzzy bass then don't put foam in. If you like low, tight, dry bass then damp it. You can also go halfway as well. I used the Lawton kit, but I only put on the pieces that attach to the driver side and didn't put in the cup attached pieces or the foam.

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #243 of 1,969
It shifts the bass from midbass to sub bass. The bass sounds tighter rather than thick. So it mostly depends on how you like your bass. If you like that thick, warm, slightly fuzzy bass then don't put foam in. If you like low, tight, dry bass then damp it. You can also go halfway as well. I used the Lawton kit, but I only put on the pieces that attach to the driver side and didn't put in the cup attached pieces or the foam.

Thank you for the answer! Should work fine with the teak cups too?

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #244 of 1,969
Thank you for the answer! Should work fine with the Teak cups too?

I don't see any reason why not, but it may make the real cups too dry sounding if you overdo it. Be careful and make sure it's reversible.

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #246 of 1,969
Jul 1, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #248 of 1,969
Do those foam strips stick or you have to apply something? And how can you make it reversible? 

They have an adhesive on the back. The only one that isn't reversible is the small circular patch. All the rest easily peel off (they're attached either to metal or wood, except the small circle, which will tear the white paper if you try to remove it).

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #249 of 1,969
Thank you for the detailed information. I alredy swapped the pads for the TH900 ones, and it made the sound noticeably more v-shaped, like the old Denon phones, the midbass became especially recessed. Maybe I don't want to make them even more drier. Do the cup foams cut the bass too much comapred to the driver ones?

Jul 9, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #250 of 1,969

http://www.foster-electric.com/products/pdf/headphones.pdf

oem Zelkova Wood Cup headphones #448498, Foster.

biocellulose 50mm driver, 24 ohm, 97 db spl, 20Hz - 20kHz

foto better in link, thumbnail came out too dark

Jul 9, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #251 of 1,969
Enjoying the EMU Rosewood model sound way way more than the Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany.

Have been doing a run-off with my friends here, for some weeks, between these different models from my collection (in no order) :

EMU Rosewood

Fostex TH-X00 Mahogany

Sony MDR-CD3000

JVC Victor HP-DX1000

Smeggy Thunderpants TP-1 Madagascar Ebony (Macassar)

Audio Technica Grandioso ATH-W1000X

Gonna be awhile, long time, until posting some brief summarized impressions. Don't get on HF to write here as much as others.

Need a lot more time, working on too many other things.

Can say Chan has made a nice sounding headphone with the EMU Rosewood; of the listed models currently selling it places 2nd place & is priced a little less than top spot model.

The 2 out of production models listed did fare the ultimate best & were included as a reference standard baseline.

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #252 of 1,969
The rosewood has grown on me as well, I am finding it scales really well - preferring the rosewood with solid state amp, and the teak with tube. System synergy is truly an alchemy!!

Ironically, I find the ebony least attractive, well sonically, out the three. Which I find strange considering the clamour for them on the th-x00 thread.

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #253 of 1,969
The rosewood has grown on me as well, I am finding it scales really well - preferring the rosewood with solid state amp, and the teak with tube. System synergy is truly an alchemy!!

Ironically, I find the ebony least attractive, well sonically, out the three. Which I find strange considering the clamour for them on the th-x00 thread.

Interesting. I went back and forth between the two and couldn't really make out any differences between the rosewood and the Ebony sonically. Chan said the same as well, that they measured identical and there was as much variation between cups of the same wood as there is between rosewood and ebony. Could maybe just be that you happened to get a cut of rosewood that really suits your preferences and a cut of Ebony that didn't. That's the thing with these wood cups, we speak as if every cut of the same wood sounds the exact same, when they don't. The difference isn't large by any means, but a cross grain cut and a quarter grain cut can sound subtly different because they resonate at different axes.

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #254 of 1,969
Interesting. I went back and forth between the two and couldn't really make out any differences between the rosewood and the Ebony sonically. Chan said the same as well, that they measured identical and there was as much variation between cups of the same wood as there is between rosewood and ebony. Could maybe just be that you happened to get a cut of rosewood that really suits your preferences and a cut of Ebony that didn't. That's the thing with these wood cups, we speak as if every cut of the same wood sounds the exact same, when they don't. The difference isn't large by any means, but a cross grain cut and a quarter grain cut can sound subtly different because they resonate at different axes.

This is a great post because it perfectly predicts the wood grain of my cups, as shown below :

Ive not given up on my ebony, in fact I picked this set out in particular because of their distinctive wood grain. I shall persevere with them some more to see if my ears can adjust to them.

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #255 of 1,969
This is a great post because it perfectly predicts the wood grain of my cups, as shown below :

Ive not given up on my ebony, in fact I picked this set out in particular because of their distinctive wood grain. I shall persevere with them some more to see if my ears can adjust to them.

Yeah, that makes sense because I have cross grain cut ebony, like your rosewoods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back