E-MU 1212M goes for the modded RME's jugular
May 3, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #211 of 260
Alright, good to know. Lucky person, having an amp with both! I envy you and your stuff (I want an xStream).
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #212 of 260
Heh.. glad i never bought into all of that High End CD Player hype. I'm somewhat tired of having to muck with changing Discs in my Harman Kardon CD Player every time i switch to a new album. Would be nice to have music built into playlist like most sound cards have.

No way in hell would this ever be my main source (since CD Players suck after all) However, I might grab one of these if the support is there. If not, i'll just stick with what i have now. I'll never understand why people bother using headphones at the CD Player. Its an ergonomic disaster. I have to keep getting up all the time and swap discs to do any serious listening.

-Ed

May 3, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #214 of 260
Sorry if this was already answered, I skipped the whole argument section....

What was the final word on the Opamp switch vs. the analog bypass mod? wich wins? The circuit seems pretty well designed so.....

May 3, 2004 at 9:52 AM Post #215 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimSchirmer
I'll never understand why people bother using headphones at the computer. Its an ergonomic disaster. I have to be laying down in a comfy chair to do any serious listening.

You must really hate your computer chair to call it part of an ergonomic disaster. Maybe chairs should be an upgrade path towards more enjoyable sound?
tongue.gif

I personally like the Herman Miller Aeron, comfortable, configurable and the netted material absorbs vibrations.
tongue.gif

Seriously, the Herman Miller Aeron is a great chair if you spend any amount of time in front of the computer.

May 3, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #216 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by shard
You must really hate your computer chair to call it part of an ergonomic disaster. Maybe chairs should be an upgrade path towards more enjoyable sound?
tongue.gif

I personally like the Herman Miller Aeron, comfortable, configurable and the netted material absorbs vibrations.
tongue.gif

Seriously, the Herman Miller Aeron is a great chair if you spend any amount of time in front of the computer.

I've heard reports that they increase transparency and widen the soundstage. Can you confirm this, please?

May 3, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #217 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3Double
I've heard reports that they increase transparency and widen the soundstage. Can you confirm this, please?

I cannot confirm that as I am unable to find a way to perform a DBT...

Anyone know where I can order a 1820M online that will ship outside the USA?

May 3, 2004 at 1:12 PM Post #218 of 260
Quote:

I cannot confirm that as I am unable to find a way to perform a DBT...

Anyone know where I can order a 1820M online that will ship outside the USA?

where do you live? you don't necessarily order from US.. I heard some German company ships to the whole world, prices are not that bad..

May 3, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #220 of 260
Quote:

tongue.gif

tongue.gif

I have an Aeron chair too, very comfy. But most of my listening is when working on my computer. Others prefer to fully dedicate their listening to leisure times. (i.e. sit and listen, do nothing else.) Sitting in a reclining chair for hours on end every day is a recipe for spinal disaster.

And not all computers are boring beige boxes where you must sit upright and attentive at a workstation. I have a black anodized aluminum, 90% passively cooled computer that serves as a HTPC and media server. It will eventually be upgraded for decent music playback for the speaker setup.

-Ed

May 3, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #221 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
E-MU 1212M Mod MK1, Blackgates, Analog Stage Bypass:
However, there is significantly diminished bass and dynamics. But bass was flatter, cleaner, more detailed. But a large portion of the lowest extensions really drop out.

Are these blackgates new? maybe they need more burnin time.

May 3, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #223 of 260
Blackgate says 30 hours for idling. Some people say a few hundres hours. I'd say a few weeks just to be sure
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

I popped more in yesterday (although in different places). Sounded ill at first. I won't be judging the effect immediately.

May 3, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #225 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zemo
Sorry if this was already answered, I skipped the whole argument section....

What was the final word on the Opamp switch vs. the analog bypass mod? wich wins? The circuit seems pretty well designed so.....

I will be able to tell you in another week or two, when I do the opamp switch mod to my new EMU to compare with Sduibek's bypassed one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back