Dynamic upgrade/complement to Stax SR-5
Jan 10, 2011 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

HughJazz

New Head-Fier
Hello!

My main rig consists of a Stax SR-5 with an SRD-6/SB and sometimes I'm wondering if there is something in the bass or "punch" department that I'm missing.

I'm looking for dynamic headphones that have that punch but still not overpowering bass.
The music I listen to is from different genres like Prog Metal, Jazz/Fusion, Hip Hop and Rock.

It needs to be under 300$ or 250€ and should perform OK without sophisticated amplification (at the moment).

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Jonas

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
Hello!

My main rig consists of a Stax SR-5 with an SRD-6/SB and sometimes I'm wondering if there is something in the bass or "punch" department that I'm missing.

I'm looking for dynamic headphones that have that punch but still not overpowering bass.
The music I listen to is from different genres like Prog Metal, Jazz/Fusion, Hip Hop and Rock.

It needs to be under 300$ or 250€ and should perform OK without sophisticated amplification (at the moment).

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Jonas

I sold my SR-5 with SRD-5 and SR-X several months ago after I bought Grado SR-325is.  In some ways the Stax was similar to the Grado but in the long run weren't as good sounding overall. They also made my ears sweat.  I added the G-Cush to improve the soundstage. They are very easy to drive.  BTW, I listen to jazz fusion and some progrock as well.  HTH.

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 4
Hello bbophead,

thanks for your reply!

I'm not looking for something to replace the Stax phones. Unfortunately in Germany the Grado 325is cost 400€ (~ 520 US$). That is too much for me and possibly also too much for these headphones (?).

Kind regards,
Jonas

Jan 11, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 4
Yeah, that's too much money for 325s.  I only sold the Stax because I didn't feel I was going to use them anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back