Dynahi or M3?
Sep 26, 2005 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Nerull

100+ Head-Fier
I have quite the conundrum. I want to build a very nice amplifier, but cannot decide between an M3 or Dynahi. Does anyone have any experience with both amplifiers? Namely, how do they sound when compared? I want to build a beast, so if there are any more designs I should consider, go ahead and tell me. Try to keep it in the M3 / Dynahi price range though.

Thanks guys!

~Tom

Sep 26, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerull
I have quite the conundrum. I want to build a very nice amplifier, but cannot decide between an M3 or Dynahi. Does anyone have any experience with both amplifiers? Namely, how do they sound when compared? I want to build a beast, so if there are any more designs I should consider, go ahead and tell me. Try to keep it in the M3 / Dynahi price range though.

Thanks guys!

~Tom

The M3 and Dynahi are in completely difference price brackets...what is your upper spending limit?

Sep 26, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 72
Hehe, price isn't an object. I'm just wondering which is a better deal
smily_headphones1.gif

Like am I spending the extra money for the dynahi for the extra 5%, for example.

Sep 26, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerull
Hehe, price isn't an object. I'm just wondering which is a better deal
smily_headphones1.gif

Like am I spending the extra money for the dynahi for the extra 5%, for example.

Well, if price isn't an object, then go with the Dynahi! I doubt anyone here (expecially here) will tell you "Ahh forget about the Dynahi, just save some money and get the M3". And if they do, they won't be here long.

Sep 26, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 72
Well, that pushed me over. Thanks guys, a lot. That seriously was a big contemplation for awhile in the search for a better amp...

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 72
Dynahi is about as high as you can go in SS IIRC...unless you balance it
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 72
I had the chance to "work" with the designer's behind the M-cubed and a large part of the listening tests involved comparing the m3 to various Gilmore-designed amps.

I used my grado ps-1s, akg 271s and sennheiser 600/650s in the listening tests and was hard pressed to hear any differences between the m3 and dynahi.

Once you reach a price/quality point with SS a large part of people's interpretation of the sound quality differences comes more from placebo and/or flavor than actual refinement.

Now if your one of those people that think spending $500 bucks on a power cord significantly improves the sound of your rig, I would suggest going with the dynahi as your preconceptions about price vs sound quality would prevent you from ever enjoying the m3.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the dynahi is roughly a bajillion times more difficult to build once you factor in all the fabrication, tuning and heat concerns.

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 72
Hi,
there was a thread or review on head-fi comparing the M³ and the Dynahi some weeks ago.
As far as I remember the review said that the M³ was 90% of the quality of the Dynahi.
The Dynahi is not only more expensive, it's also much more difficult to build.

But if quality is your main concern, I guess the Dynahi is what you'll want.... or the best commercial Gilmore product
icon10.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #13 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
Well, if price isn't an object, then go with the Dynahi! I doubt anyone here (expecially here) will tell you "Ahh forget about the Dynahi, just save some money and get the M3". And if they do, they won't be here long.

I will. I prefer both the M3 and GS-1 to the Dynahi's that I've heard. These were mainly under meet conditions, while I own an M3 (one Dynahi audition was at a friend's house). Based on what I heard, I would take either the GS-1 or M3 over the Dynahi regardless of price. Hard to put into words, but the Dynahi was simply boring. When I'm listening to music and the first thought that comes to my mind is "why am I wasting my time listening to this", I stop wasting my time. YMMV of course, and perhaps there is a magic Dynahi out there that will change my mind, if I ever hear it.

Sep 26, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean-xenos
Hi,
there was a thread or review on head-fi comparing the M³ and the Dynahi some weeks ago.
As far as I remember the review said that the M³ was 90% of the quality of the Dynahi.
The Dynahi is not only more expensive, it's also much more difficult to build.

But if quality is your main concern, I guess the Dynahi is what you'll want.... or the best commercial Gilmore product
icon10.gif

Unless I missed another reivew (that compared the two), when I did my review of a M3 back in May I stated that the M3 gets you about 80% of a Dynahi. If it tells you anything I've since moved onto a balanced dynahi (dynamight) and I don't see myself getting another amp anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back