Dylan says today's recordings sound ‘atrocious’
Aug 22, 2006 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

ssingh0

500+ Head-Fier
Legend fine with illegal downloads because ‘it ain’t worth nothing anyway’

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14467222/

He doesn't make his point very clearly, or maybe the article butchers it for him. His main point appears to be that the digital quality of cd's/what's available to consumers - not the music itself- is crappy.

Instead, it may be mistaken that he is carping about the current generations' music.

And what does he mean by... "cd's are small. There's no stature to it."

Mr. Dylan trying to wax poetic?
confused.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 53
LOL... Im sure head-fiers could draft a Top-10 list of stellar recordings that would put his generalizations to shame. got news for him... No CD will ever sound like the acoustics on stage.

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 53
I think he's right though.

I'm pretty much a noob to high-end head-audio, and I'm just bedding in an MF X-Can V3 and a pair of DT880's. Great system, I'm really amazed by it actually - but pretty much all my CD's (regardless of genre) going back to the mid-90's sound dubious; ranging from 'OK' to basically unlistenable.
frown.gif
Stuff recorded earlier seems better (less loudness), the newer the CD the worse it is. It's really disappointing.

Pluck

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 53
that's what you get after you're spoiled with top-of-the-line vinyl setups for 30+ years, and then all of the sudden HEAVEN FORBID DIGITAL AUDIO
plainface.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 53
That's why I have a TT
plainface.gif

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 53
The mainstream wants crap, because all they've got are iBuds, and labels give it to them.

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 53
Quote:

“There’s no definition of nothing, no vocal, no nothing, just like ... static.”

Sounds like a complaint about the loudness problem if I ever heard one. It is a serious problem indeed.

Aug 22, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
LOL... Im sure head-fiers could draft a Top-10 list of stellar recordings that would put his generalizations to shame.

Probably.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
got news for him... No CD will ever sound like the acoustics on stage.

Thank God. Stage mixes sound horrible.

Bob needs to have a talk with his mastering engineer. His new albums are too hot and too compressed. That's why the master tapes sound better than the cd.

Aug 22, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0

That's probably a good reason why I sold my DT880 and Aria...

It's hard to fight something you can't fix. How much money do you need to spend to correct the recording?

Of course, I'm mainly talking about rock and alternative--what I mainly listen to. Good recordings of other genres may be more common.

Aug 22, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 53
I dunno; but using just simple MS-1s through an unamped DVD/CD player, it really seems like my CDs produced in the 80s and early 90s have greater clarity and resolution than the ones bought more reciently.

....maybe not a fair assesment since my older CDs far outnumber the new ones.

Aug 22, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Senn20
Bob needs to have a talk with his mastering engineer. His new albums are too hot and too compressed. That's why the master tapes sound better than the cd.

exactly... he seems to think it's the fault of the little round piece of plastic, when it's really the red-line superhot idiots doing the mastering.

Aug 22, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
exactly... he seems to think it's the fault of the little round piece of plastic, when it's really the red-line superhot idiots doing the mastering.

I doubt that any mastering engineer really wants to mangle the music like that. More likely, they're being pressured by either the artist or the label to make it that way. And if they refuse, they get blacklisted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back