DX80 Purist Firmware Modification - For purist audiophiles
Jan 30, 2016 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 134

WindowsX

Member of the Trade: Fidelizer Audio
I received DX80 model from customers to perform hardware/software mod today so I can finally look into the ROM and try modding without bricking the device. Since I don't want to make science debate about tweaks that affect sound quality, I'll stick with only DSP removal for this mod.

This mod will have the following changes below:

-Based on official version 1.5.2
-Change fallback font to Helvetica Neue and use Nimbus Sans Global Light instead of Bold
-Optimized ROM configuration for better performance
-Optimized storage performance
-Optimized video rendering performance
-Removed audio effect engine completely
-Removed Equalizer feature
-Removed unused binaries and library files for smaller footprints
-Removed video components in particle components configuration

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/xhlvm54lx8ujft2

Your DX80 should have DSP-free playback engine now. Let me know if you notice any changes in audio performance with this mod.

Regards,
Windows X

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 134
  I received DX80 model from customers to perform hardware/software mod today so I can finally look into the ROM and try modding without bricking the device. Since I don't want to make science debate about tweaks that affect sound quality, I'll stick with only DSP removal for this mod.

This mod will have the following changes below:

-Change default system font to Helvetica Neue and use Roboto Condensed for non-English font
-Removed audio effect engine completely
-Removed Gaplass/Equalizer feature
-Removed video components in particle components configuration

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ya1nbx6hsknmwtz

Your DX80 should have DSP-free playback engine now. Let me know if you notice any changes in audio performance with this mod. By the way, DX80 runs on ART runtime iBasso software developer did a good job this time for stable ART DAP. :)

Regards,
Windows X

So, Is, the main purpose of the mod for audio improvement/change? I couldn't open the file. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 134
The purpose of this mod is to have DSP-free playback engine. Those modules will be loaded even you don't use it so it can work immediately after hitting on switch. I've fixed the corrupted file now.

Regards,
Windows X

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 134
Digital filter isn't removed. I removed only EQ/Gaplass and audio DSP chain.

Regards,
Windows X

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 134
I used to add more mods here.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/766542/dx50-90-firmware-modification-fidelity-edition-lite-by-windows-x

But you can see why I stopped.

Regards,
Windows X

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #8 of 134
Just by a quick scroll through and read.. Yes.. I see why not mess with additional mods.. Lol.. In reference to the Audio engine.. How easy difficult is it to change it? Or modify it with something else?

For example, on Viper4Android, you could add impulse, ddc, etc, to alter the soundstage among other things.. Is that pretty much impossible with the current setup. I'm guessing the only way to alter it would be to input a specific can input file vs original?

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #10 of 134
Your DX80 should have DSP-free playback engine now. Let me know if you notice any changes in audio performance with this mod. By the way, DX80 runs on ART runtime iBasso software developer did a good job this time for stable ART DAP. :)  
Regards,
Windows X

Welcome back again :) FYI, DX80 has no neither DSP, nor ART. Actually, it has no a Java machine at all. It does not have "audio effect engine" either. Both Gapless and EQ can be effectively turned off via user interface.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #11 of 134
Perfection is a parametric EQ.. Lol.. But that's just my opinion.. Or even ability to alter Q levels.. But that's the tweaked in me.. With every device I've ever owned, I consistently spend hours and hour messing with different settings to alter the sound and see what works what doesn't.. I know that's not healthy, but hey, it helps me pass the time.. Lol.. I think this is why I love using an Android smartphone/device, root it, install Viper4Android, and use a Headphone amp of choice currently, the Fiio E12A.. Lol.. But as always, sucks carrying multiple devices, especially once you add in the my work phone the iPhone 6.. That makes carrying around 2 cellphones (Personal and Work), and a headphone amp around a bit of a issue.. Getting the DX80 was to not have to have multiple devices in my hand while out and about..As stacks are not pocketable.. Lol

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #12 of 134
@sledgeharvy I just don't want to deal with nosy experts who used such logic like this tweak is dangerous for enterprise server but I'm using it on a portable DAP with zero risk like that case. It tired me out greatly to the point I don't even want to argue back so I kept all my cool tweaks only for my customers who won't complain me. :wink:

@Lurker0 You're right about ART not being utilized. I haven't checked on runtime section but saw the files without Dalvik ones so I guess it's still better than Fiio X7's ART removal and stuck with Dalvik.

I'm not certain if Android audio effect won't be used at all but it doesn't hurt to remove it for DSP-free principles. As for EQ/Gaplass, those files will be loaded into memory ready to be used immediately so they still affect DSP processing and it's better to not have them loaded at all to be completely DSP-free.

Regards,
Windows X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back