dx50 or ipod classic with a amp
Mar 9, 2014 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

strrstarrynight

Head-Fier
Looking to upgrade my rig, currently using the color fly c3, sounds pretty good but keeps crashing and bugging out. Which provides better sound quality? A ibasso dx50 or a iPod classic with a semi decent 200-300 amp, when paired with se535?

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 15
I Own both, 7g classic rockboxed and DX50. Dx50 sound is far superior in my opinion both LO and HO.  I loved the rockboxed classic but the sudden misfortune of having to update to a new computer running the dreaded windows 8, necessitated the need to wean myself of ipod as the emcore/rockbox firmware does not seem to get along well with windows 8.

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 15
What about when the iPod is paired with maybe headstage arrow or pico slim etc. I really like the iPod classics UI, and from what I have read there are many problems with syncing and crashing on the dx50s

Mar 10, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 15
Not anymore on recent firmwares. Digitalfreak had major problems with his though, probably because his was defective. 

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:50 AM Post #6 of 15
  I have had my DX since January, originally 1.2.6  and now 1.2.8 and have not had one single crash, glitch or problem. 

I also have not had any crash on mine, and my tags edited im mp3tags is editet correctly, so database work without problems.

Mar 10, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 15
How does iPod classics sq compare when paired with a amp?

Still not as good as DX50. I have both. However, if you manage to install rockbox on iPod Classic it can bring it closer to DX50 but you have to find the right settings. DX50 with a very good amp will bring your listening experience to another level.

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #9 of 15
My DX50 IS NOT defective due to hardware it's defective DUE to bad software implementation. If you check the last 10 pages or so on the DX50 impressions thread you will encounter various posts sprinkled throughout the thread of people stating their DX50 is buggy. Their problems seem to range from slow UI to full lock ups and freezes to volume spikes to tag reading problems. Some of these problems I have also experienced albeit the newest firmware has eleviated my problems to the point that it's now functional enough to get by. What I mean by that last part is my unit is still problematic when it decides to be.

As for the sound quality, the DX50 is slightly better sounding (and I emphasize ONLY SLIGHTLY BETTER SOUNDING) then a standard iPod. If one is going to spend 240 only to be forced to spend another 2, 3, or 4 hundred bones on an amp to make the DX50 sound like good hi fi instead of mediocracy then I say buy a better sounding mobile rig or DAP and leave the DX50 with iBasso.

Finally, if certain people don't like the idea that I spew negativity involving the DX50 everywhere I go then I shall gladly keep it to myself on the condition that my user name NEVER EVER BE BROUGHT INTO THE CONVERSATION. When it is I SHALL SPEAK MY MIND and post my opinion and experience with the DX50 and if certain people dislike that TOUGH. Considering I've had problems involving certain individuals flaming me I will thank everyone to PLEASE KEEP MY NAME OUT of any DX50 conversation. That shall be all. Have a nice life.

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #11 of 15
i rated the sound of cowon d2 over any ipods that ive had in the past. 
then i got a dx50 and i rate it several levels above d2. 
when paired with pico/predator, the sound is absolutely amazing. 

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 15
HI, would you still keep your point also with respect to an Ipod classic amped with a Fostex hp-p1? Even outside Ibasso dx50,  is there something out here that costs like an Ipad + fostex and has significantly better SQ?
any suggestion welcome

May 1, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Hi guys, hope i am not shouldering in here. Need some advice... have to do some traveling. I have the latest ipod classic but have not used it due to its sq. Since the areas i will be visiting will have limited wifi i need to dust it down and load it up! Can anyone give me advice on a dac that will help boost its sq. 

May 1, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #14 of 15
I have never used an Ipod but I don't think you can get a portable digital output, but I could be wrong, have a search around here. Must be others who have asked the same question

Users who are viewing this thread

Back