DX50 Bug List, Wish List Fix
Nov 4, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #931 of 1,212
  Hi,
Loving my DX50!  working perfectly with no issues but this one little oddity.  My 24/96 ALAC files show up as "32bit" on the home screen and in the info page. Anyone else have this? 16/44 show up as such.  My ALAC's were converted from AIIF using iTunes. 

I have 6th batch that shipped with FW 2.2.2.  My files are all just copied over from the iTunes music folder. I've had no issues with anything else and gapless playback on live albums works perfectly.  

Anyone else having the 32 bit display?

Thanks
Scott

Same here. though I'm only getting it with one album - Daft Punk's Random Access Memories

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #934 of 1,212
Now on 1.2.3 and same thing. (I couldn't resist the update !)

Interesting about he ALAC file type, Also mine were converted from AIFF in itunes so I'd have a format compatible with the DX50 and itunes. Not a big deal but interesting. Looks like AAC files show up as 16/44 as if they are lossless..
Scott

Nov 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #935 of 1,212
That's not acceptable.  The product through MFG has stated they have included the ability to EQ.  Therefore, it must be fixed or remove it and don't advertise that the ability to EQ is present because it is not!

Only one advice to give you: complain, complain, complain to iBasso about it then wait and see. :wink:

Let us know what they'll tell you.

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #936 of 1,212
That's not acceptable.  The product through MFG has stated they have included the ability to EQ.  Therefore, it must be fixed or remove it and don't advertise that the ability to EQ is present because it is not!

The EQ does work, although the effects are subtle. Notice that the slider range is +/- 5db and it takes a 3 db change for most people to detect a significant diference. Very large changes nearly always result in clipping and/or distortion. The DX50 EQ was designed to avoid this when the EQ is used at max boost settings.

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #937 of 1,212
The EQ does work, although the effects are subtle. Notice that the slider range is +/- 5db and it takes a 3 db change for most people to detect a significant diference. Very large changes nearly always result in clipping and/or distortion. The DX50 EQ was designed to avoid this when the EQ is used at max boost settings.

Fair enough, I failed to see why they have to drop the volume many db below the 0 mark when you engage it, you got to boost the volume because of that. I would have expected the volume to stay as is when engaging it while it stays at the 0 level mark. Then, only then when you boost the volume back to how it should be can you decipher any frequency boost or reduction. That I think is the issue with the EQ, not the fact we can't adjust the sliders.

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #938 of 1,212

With all do respect sir:  You are not correct!!  Oh, in theory you are, but in application...Again, you are not correct. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #939 of 1,212
Appears that in 1.2.3beta the eq is better than 1.2.2 but still not how it was in 1.2.0 to my ears.  3db is double the power and about 23% increase in loudness which I think most of us would agree is not what we are getting currently.  Hopefully they can fine tune things before releasing 1.2.3beta.

As a point of reference here are some suggestions I sent to iBasso prior to 1.2.3beta but have seen no reply:
1) The eq settings do not change the sound as much as they should in the latest firmware update - what was changed from 1.1.6 and can you change it back?  Switching between the predefined settings makes very little change in sound and on the custom mode moving the sliders up and down does very little to the sound.  Note - improved with 1.2.3beta but still lacking.
2) Add more custom eq settings - 4 or 5 would be great so we can tailor the settings for different earphones/headphones and music types.
3) When adjusting the eq sliders allow the volume up/down buttons to move the slider up/down and the |<< and >>| buttons to move to the different frequencies.  The touch screen is tricky to adjust the sliders - so adding this would be helpful.
4) Allow access to the eq settings directly from the home view when music is playing by touching the area where the eq setting is displayed.
5) It is possible to add more frequency bands to the custom eq mode?  (How about a full 1/3 octave eq if you want to push the envelope!)
6) For the play modes add a single play option so only the current song plays then stops.
7) When music is playing in the home screen have an option to automatically scroll track and album titles when they are too long to fit the screen.
8) The addition of the scroll bar on the artist/album/title screen is nice but too small to easily grab and move up/down - please make the icon bigger.  Note - better in 1.2.3beta.
9) When music is playing have an option to display left and right UV meters (analog like old hifi equipment) or a real time audio spectrum - this is for looks more than anything practical.
10) I am experiencing more crashes and automatic reboots with 1.2.2 - especially within the first 2 minutes of turning it on.  Once it reboots a time or two it appears more stable.  This did not happen with 1.1.6.  Note - much better with 1.2.3beta - no crashes/lock-ups yet.
11) Still have many times when the first second or two of a song is cutoff or sounds like the music fades in.  Please make it sound just like the original CD version of the music.  The gapless needs some adjusting - still hear a slight pause between tracks that should have no gap.
12) Battery meter - can you show the percent remaining in 5% increments next to the icon?  Icon now appears to reflect the battery status better now but know if there is 45% or 15% would be good.  Note - 1.2.3beta has a new battery usage display - still would be nice to see a percentage remaining in 5% increments, etc.  Heck - maybe even display current voltage % of full charge?

Definitely agree that 1.2.3beta is another step in the right direction to my likings.

Comments?

Cheers,
Tim

Nov 4, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #940 of 1,212
  Appears that in 1.2.3beta the eq is better than 1.2.2 but still not how it was in 1.2.0 to my ears.  3db is double the power and about 23% increase in loudness which I think most of us would agree is not what we are getting currently.  Hopefully they can fine tune things before releasing 1.2.3beta.

As a point of reference here are some suggestions I sent to iBasso prior to 1.2.3beta but have seen no reply:
1) The eq settings do not change the sound as much as they should in the latest firmware update - what was changed from 1.1.6 and can you change it back?  Switching between the predefined settings makes very little change in sound and on the custom mode moving the sliders up and down does very little to the sound.  Note - improved with 1.2.3beta but still lacking.
2) Add more custom eq settings - 4 or 5 would be great so we can tailor the settings for different earphones/headphones and music types.
3) When adjusting the eq sliders allow the volume up/down buttons to move the slider up/down and the |<< and >>| buttons to move to the different frequencies.  The touch screen is tricky to adjust the sliders - so adding this would be helpful.
4) Allow access to the eq settings directly from the home view when music is playing by touching the area where the eq setting is displayed.
5) It is possible to add more frequency bands to the custom eq mode?  (How about a full 1/3 octave eq if you want to push the envelope!)
6) For the play modes add a single play option so only the current song plays then stops.
7) When music is playing in the home screen have an option to automatically scroll track and album titles when they are too long to fit the screen.
8) The addition of the scroll bar on the artist/album/title screen is nice but too small to easily grab and move up/down - please make the icon bigger.  Note - better in 1.2.3beta.
9) When music is playing have an option to display left and right UV meters (analog like old hifi equipment) or a real time audio spectrum - this is for looks more than anything practical.
10) I am experiencing more crashes and automatic reboots with 1.2.2 - especially within the first 2 minutes of turning it on.  Once it reboots a time or two it appears more stable.  This did not happen with 1.1.6.  Note - much better with 1.2.3beta - no crashes/lock-ups yet.
11) Still have many times when the first second or two of a song is cutoff or sounds like the music fades in.  Please make it sound just like the original CD version of the music.  The gapless needs some adjusting - still hear a slight pause between tracks that should have no gap.
12) Battery meter - can you show the percent remaining in 5% increments next to the icon?  Icon now appears to reflect the battery status better now but know if there is 45% or 15% would be good.  Note - 1.2.3beta has a new battery usage display - still would be nice to see a percentage remaining in 5% increments, etc.  Heck - maybe even display current voltage % of full charge?

Definitely agree that 1.2.3beta is another step in the right direction to my likings.

Comments?

Cheers,
Tim

WELL DONE, AND THANK YOU.

Nov 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #941 of 1,212

Comments?

Cheers,
Tim

I'd add the following to it:

- allow directory selection to play a part in adding playlist items. Only for microSD card as the OTG is not fully supported.
- allow saving playlists on the internal memory in location where the backup can be done.
- allow the setting of the soft and sharp roll-off pass band filtering settable from a menu section., call it configuration settings if you will.
This will allow us to increase the soundstage for musical listening or to cut it sharply for neutral listening (apparently a feature on the DX100)

I'll add more later, do you think you can pass that to iBasso? I'll do the same.

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #942 of 1,212
Does any of you have the problem of skipping track and the dx50 just suddenly skip through 10 songs ? I'm just wondering since I just press the skip button once and it start going wild on it's own, also I'm using the current version, 1.2.2. 
blink.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #943 of 1,212
Hello to you owners of a product which seems to leave one spend more time on overlooking bad performance than enjoing actual problem free listening experience...
I am curious - do you get paid to "help" iBasso to develope this product. If this would be a car, would one ever be on time for an appointment? be sure that the lights will work constantly? hope that this driving from mechanic (=update/reboot) to mechanic (=update/reboot) will ever stop?
Reading all of these posts make me post the question if buying a DAP (seems that DX 100, C4, AK´s, HM-901 all have too many bugs for their price) is more about throwing money into producers pockets to finally come out with a smoothly working device around 2015/16
L3000.gif

I was planning to buy a DAP myself. Now that I have saved enough money I started to get informed. Hours and hours spent to be able to decide on a product. AND there are not many different audiophile players!
I am used to buy a product that is worth the money and perform accordingly, so I can be in peace and enjoy it whithout fixing it over and over again.

Problably the wrong place on this huge site to post my CONFUSION, but I was actually considering a DX50. You 500+ and 1000+ posters hopefully have some good advices for head-Fi/Audio outsider muluc
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #944 of 1,212
  Hello to you owners of a product which seems to leave one spend more time on overlooking bad performance than enjoing actual problem free listening experience...
I am curious - do you get paid to "help" iBasso to develope this product. If this would be a car, would one ever be on time for an appointment? be sure that the lights will work constantly? hope that this driving from mechanic (=update/reboot) to mechanic (=update/reboot) will ever stop?
Reading all of these posts make me post the question if buying a DAP (seems that DX 100, C4, AK´s, HM-901 all have too many bugs for their price) is more about throwing money into producers pockets to finally come out with a smoothly working device around 2015/16
L3000.gif

I was planning to buy a DAP myself. Now that I have saved enough money I started to get informed. Hours and hours spent to be able to decide on a product. AND there are not many different audiophile players!
I am used to buy a product that is worth the money and perform accordingly, so I can be in peace and enjoy it whithout fixing it over and over again.

Problably the wrong place on this huge site to post my CONFUSION, but I was actually considering a DX50. You 500+ and 1000+ posters hopefully have some good advices for head-Fi/Audio outsider muluc
confused_face(1).gif

just get it, put some music on and enjoy. oor, get an ipod...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back