DX50 Bug List, Wish List Fix
Sep 19, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #421 of 1,212
Had 2 volume-crazy bugs until now.
Can't remember the exact step, but the volume drop to 0 gradually.
Pressing the button did not bring the circle volume screen, but with a white "countdown" (lol) number on the playing now screen.

Is iBasso reading this thread or I have to write them?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4

I would write to them, I and others have too.

Mine has the crazy volume bug, but only 3 times so far. (in 24 hours) Mine gets stuck then surges upwards to full volume about 25 segments at a time, this triggers when I'm adjusting the correct listening level. After it hits full volume the music keeps playing but the buttons and touch screen become unresponsive, I need to reboot. I will say it's the only thing really bothering me and it's also very random. I think it needs to be addressed because people use expensive CIEMS. With the player in your pocket one might not be lucky as me to rip the headphone jack out each time.

Besides the above, I think the player is very, very cool......

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #422 of 1,212
Is it just my unit or do I have to press the volume button twice to change the volume,... the first time i press it, the volume screen appears... but it doesnt change... so i have to press it once, and then press again and hold... 

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #423 of 1,212
  Is it just my unit or do I have to press the volume button twice to change the volume,... the first time i press it, the volume screen appears... but it doesnt change... so i have to press it once, and then press again and hold... 

Same for mine.

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #424 of 1,212
  Ok guys not to sure if this is a bug or a defective unit. Lets see if anyone else has encountered this yet. I just tried to do a FW update from 1.00 to 1.16 and I can't. All I get is the Windows 7 chime repeatedly going off as if the player is being plugged and unplugged repeatedly and messages from Windows such as device software not recognized to one of my USB devices is defective. 
PS
I just plugged a 8 GB flash thumb drive to my DX50 using a OCG cable and it works flawlessly. Weird?

And the player is powered on when you connect it?

Sep 19, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #427 of 1,212
updated the fw - a breeze again

now I wondered if somebody could help with this....

I have an album which is actually a collection of 4 cd's

john digweed London 1, 2, 3 & 4

however when I click "album" and scroll down, only 2 of them show up?

any ideas?

thanks

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #429 of 1,212
via mp3tag

however I am not entirely sure on the rest

are there any fields that should or should not be filled or emptied??

I changed 1 album to add the album artist and disc number - but it didn't rectify it

it could be that my dx50 hasn't performed a full scan of the card??

Sep 19, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #430 of 1,212
via mp3tag

however I am not entirely sure on the rest

are there any fields that should or should not be filled or emptied??

I changed 1 album to add the album artist and disc number - but it didn't rectify it

it could be that my dx50 hasn't performed a full scan of the card??

Could you post a screen shot of the tags? Are they stored on the card or the internal storage?

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #432 of 1,212
CROSS POSTING my 1.1.6 experience from the other thread:

Update went smoothly, repeating the instruction for those who don't read the readme:

Instruction For Firmware upgrade:

1, extract the zip file, and copy the update.img into the DX50;

2, select Settings--->Advanced--->System update (the system update option appears after the DX50 has the update.img inside);

3, click OK to start the firmware update;

4, after the firmware update completed, select Settings--->Advanced--->[COLOR=FF0000]Factory Reset to reset the DX50[/COLOR];

[COLOR=0000CD]My personal suggestion to do BEFORE the update:[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]1. eject the micro SD card[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]2. delete everything on the internal storage then go to Step 1 above[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]3. eject the DX50 from USB and disconnect the USB cable (but make sure battery is full or close to full) before starting the update[/COLOR]

Quick Findings:
1. Scanned DB again after the update, it completed scanning the same full 64gb sandisk class 10 micro SD in under 9 mins, faster than 12mins or so with the original firmware.
2. ' issue is fixed
3. Album are sorted by album artist now
4. 24/192 playback is normal again
5. Bitrate info now shown in the Info screen
6. no new issue encountered thus far
7. no sonic difference I can discern compared to 1.1.5

Mirrors below for easy reference:

Would like to share an alternative method of updating. Think I saw someone mentioning it in either this or the other thread, but can't seem to find the original post. I downloaded the image via Sorensiim's server, and updated with an SD card.

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #433 of 1,212
List up the bug.(V1.1.6~)

ibasso should improve the problem.
wink_face.gif

Should you are certainly reading here.

Support! Hopes everyone
L3000.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #434 of 1,212
Update your iBasso DX50 to a new firmware in 3 minutes!

A guide to hassle free update - without a computer.

Note: I drew inspiration from someone else (couldn't find his post so not very sure where I saw it and credit him for the tip).

Summary:
1. Extract "update.img" to the root folder of your SD card.
2. Insert SD card to a well charged, unplugged and turned off DX50.
3. Press 3 buttons (on, vol+, vol-) together and hold for 10 seconds.
4. Select "update rkimage from external" (v1.00) or "apply update from SDcard" (v1.15/1.16).
5. Be patient. It took me 2 minutes to apply the update from a 32gb class4 microSDHC Kingston card.
6. The DX50 will do a "wipe data/factory reset" automatically once the update is completed. It will also automatically reboot.
7. Scan for songs! Took 3 minutes to scan a 16gb class4 microSDHC card filled with 10gb of songs.
8. Enjoy :)

Here goes the detailed version, with pictures of course. I forgot that the recovery menu will be changed after v1.00 and didn't manage to take a photo of the original recovery menu. But the option to apply the update is to "update rkimage from external".

Step 1:
My laptop was 3 floors down in the car and I didn't want to connect my DX50 to the laptop and then create a WiFi hotspot from my phone for my laptop to download the new firmware, but I really wanted to get the newer firmware to play song files with '. So I decided to download the file directly from my China made phone. I inserted a brand new class4 32gb microSDHC into the phone, used chrome and got the file in about 20 minutes. I downloaded the firmware from Soremsiim's hosted copy at http://www.sorensiim.dk/stuff/DX50Firmware_V1.1.6.zip.

Step 2:
I downloaded AndroZip from then play store to extract the "update.img" from the zip file. Extract to the most basic level instead to into any folders (e.g. so that it becomes E:\update.img instead of E:\downloads\v1_06\update.img). There were some error about UI but the file extracted just fine. Extracting "Readme.txt" is optional.

Step 3:
Unmount the microSD card. You might need to shut down for some phones if the card access is blocked by the battery.

Step 4:
Turn off a fully charged DX50. Mine probably had 30% battery in it, but the indicator showed 3/4 battery. Updated fine, in case you are wondering.

Step 5:
Insert the microSD that has "update.img" into the DX50.

Step 6:
Get to recovery menu by turning on the DX50 with 3 buttons. Press and hold "on, vol+, vol-". Hold for 10 seconds. Just on and vol+ might work, but I didn't try. Just on and vol- doesn't.

Step 7:
You should see this if you are coming from v1.15. If you are coming from v1.00, just look out for "update rkimage from external". Don't choose the one above it. Forgot what that was, but it also reads update something from external.

Use a headphone jack to move the menu options downwards. To move the selector updates, each flip of the lock switch will move it up one option. Newer firmwares support the use of the volume buttons to move the selector. The on/off buttons acts as an enter key. I prefer the headphone jack option because it allows me to very quickly go down the options instead of having to do multiple presses on the volume keys. Touchscreen doesn't work in recovery mode, for good reasons.

Step 8:
Select the correct option and wait. It took a quick 2 minutes to update my DX50, but the lack of an indicator bar night drive some impatient or insecure users nuts. So chill. Grab your earphones and go listen to anything from an iPod touch or an iPhone. Trust me, it makes you appreciate the DX50 even more. However, if it get stuck on the same screen for more than 10 minutes, something probably screwed up somewhere. So a hard reset by holding the power button for 15 seconds or more. Otherwise, the device should do a factory wipe and reboot itself.

Step 9:
If it reboots into recovery menu for whatever reason, just power off. Swap your original music card back into the device. I am fairly confident that it will work if you loaded the update.img onto the same card that stores your music, but I didn't try.

Step 10:
Scan for music again and enjoy! It took 3 minutes to scan 10gb of music from a class4 16gb card.

Notes:
1. I thought it would have been obvious, but just in case some of you are wondering, nothing was connected to my DX50 while the update was done. Mainly because I didn't use any USB cable to transfer any files in the first place.

2. The bass got bumped up after the firmware update. I jumped directly from v1.0 to v1.16. I am not stating this as an official statement from iBasso, but I didn't recall the bass being so intrusive on low gain. I'm not a bass head, though I appreciate the deep low rumbles that seem to stroke and tickle my eardrums.

3. The hiss seems stronger after the firmware update. To give you some context, I have been using a Rooth reshelled Fischer Audio DBA02 with a Null Audio Arête mkII cable. I couldn't pick up any hiss with my other headphones. Haven't tried with any other IEMs yet because the DX50 managed to bump up the audio performance of on-the-go rig significantly compared to my nokia express music 5800. Don't think I will go jogging and skating with a DX50 though.

Additional notes on DX50:
To put it simply, if you already have a pair of $100-300 IEMs and is thinking of upgrading, $250 will get you a better audio improvement if you spend it on a DX50 than getting a new pair of customs. Assuming of course your current DAP is a clip+ or , I pity you, an iPod touch. And while you can pay to add drivers, $250 would be best spent on the DX50 in thus case. Cheaper than making a jump to a pair of better headphones or IEM, and giving another dimension to your music as well. The improvement is not only limited to FLAC or well mastered tracks. Even "low" bitrate 128kbps mp3s are presented with a space that is not available in similarly priced players. (OK some tracks are really not that great and makes you wish the musicians actually made better quality music, but in general, the DX50 gives a different sense of improvement to the listening experience than upgrading to a better pair of IEMs.

I didn't have much expectations when I bought the player except for it to sound good in a portable package. The DX50 is just that. The most important features that I wish for now is to have a scroll bar for easy navigation and support for adjusting volume, brightness and playback position using finger gestures similar to the app mxplayer.

Having said that, you do have to understand that I can learn to live with most UI quirks as long as the player can play good music. Thus if you are a die hard fan of doing things in a certain way, the DX50 will bother you.

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #435 of 1,212

I would write to them, I and others have too.

Mine has the crazy volume bug, but only 3 times so far. (in 24 hours) Mine gets stuck then surges upwards to full volume about 25 segments at a time, this triggers when I'm adjusting the correct listening level. After it hits full volume the music keeps playing but the buttons and touch screen become unresponsive, I need to reboot. I will say it's the only thing really bothering me and it's also very random. I think it needs to be addressed because people use expensive CIEMS. With the player in your pocket one might not be lucky as me to rip the headphone jack out each time.

Besides the above, I think the player is very, very cool......

I just had this bug while I was listening on the train home, nearly blew my ears off if I didn't react in time to unplug my headphone jack! had to hold the power button down and it reset. I thought I had accidentally held down the volume up button but I was definitely pressing down but the indicator kept running away upwards..

and now I'm afraid to change the volume...first and only time I had this happen in 3 days of use..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back