DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Aug 28, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #3,046 of 3,609
@Digital Freak.
Been waiting for some reviews before I decide if I should get the DX50 or go with a X3. If you could post what "fees/taxes" Revenue Canada hits you with that would help me decide. Been hosed pretty good just ordering Cd's from the States before - free trade my ass.
Cheers.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #3,047 of 3,609
it's me again, now with serious technical stuff

on pics of the DX50-menue i saw the options (not literally) 'internal storage', 'sd card' and 'usb-to-go'. Does especially the last one mean connecting for example a ssd (or any other usb storage device), the dap is able to handle data like from the internal/sd memory (because the dap is running as host)?! Then it would be a i-order-it-blind decission...regardless!

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #3,048 of 3,609
Quote:

on pics of the DX50-menue i saw the options (not literally) 'internal storage', 'sd card' and 'usb-to-go'. Does especially the last one mean connecting for example a ssd (or any other usb storage device), the dap is able to handle data like from the internal/sd memory (because the dap is running as host)?! Then it would be a i-order-it-blind decission...regardless!

iBasso already confirmed this.
Yes, you can plug a HDD or SSD into the DX50 via an OTG cable.
But be ready to sacrifice a good bit of batterylife.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #3,049 of 3,609
Quote:

Yep, it is possible.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #3,052 of 3,609
That would work fine, essentially it'd be the same as running an external hard drive that uses an external power source.  USB To go doesn't discriminate hard drive sizes/types as long as they adhere to USB 2.0 standards I believe......it just needs to be able to spin the drive/power the solid state memory or read from a drive that is already powered.

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #3,053 of 3,609
Quote:
@Digital Freak.
Been waiting for some reviews before I decide if I should get the DX50 or go with a X3. If you could post what "fees/taxes" Revenue Canada hits you with that would help me decide. Been hosed pretty good just ordering Cd's from the States before - free trade my ass.
Cheers.

It's a crap shoot actually. Anything valued over 100 Canadian will get taxed by customs and Canada Post won't release it to you until you've paid the duties. On the plus side, Canadian Customs isn't able to catch everything and half the time what I've ordered from overseas has gotten through with no duties being levied. What I've done, and others, is emailed the seller and asked the package be intentionally undervalued at 100 Canadian so as to avoid custom fees. Sometimes the seller will undervalue the package upon customer request and sometimes they won't so as to avoid a hassle in case there's problems with the customer involving lost, stolen or damaged product during transport. The bad part involving undervaluing is if your package gets lost, stolen or damaged in the mail you're only covered for a 100 bones and out of luck on the rest of it's value. Another option, find a proxy and ask the package be marked as a gift or ask the seller to mark the package as a gift or mark it as a return ship for warranty purposes. Usually those last two options work very well if you have a trustworthy proxy or if the seller agrees to do such a thing.

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #3,056 of 3,609
It's a calculated risk on the battery life, but I went ahead and bought this bad boy in anticipation of my DX50 arrival (still have yet to receive any shipping information and ordered >1 week ago - don't worry?).

I don't need a DAC, so my stack shouldn't be too bad :

Headstage Arrow 4T amp
DX50
Toshiba drive

I figure I'll pickup up a spare battery or two to use on a longer trip.  And really, how long am I really away from an A/C outlet to charge up anyway?  Not long in my case.  I'd rather have most of my tunes with me to choose from.  I'm also banking on this little 2.5" drive not being obscenely power hungry as well.  Hopefully!  I chose a drive that operates at 5400rpm to also help mitigate power usage.

Hoping to hit the sweet spot in terms of storage capacity. battery life, and portability.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B009F1CXI2

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #3,057 of 3,609
Quote:
It's a calculated risk on the battery life, but I went ahead and bought this bad boy in anticipation of my DX50 arrival (still have yet to receive any shipping information and ordered >1 week ago - don't worry?).

Headstage Arrow 4T amp
DX50
Toshiba drive

I figure I'll pickup up a spare battery or two to use on a longer trip.  And really, how long am I really away from an A/C outlet to charge up anyway?  Not long in my case.  I'd rather have most of my tunes with me to choose from.  I'm also banking on this little 2.5" drive not being obscenely power hungry as well.  Hopefully!  I chose a drive that operates at 5400rpm to also help mitigate power usage.

Hoping to hit the sweet spot in terms of storage capacity. battery life, and portability.

Wow, that thing is really slim and cheap :|

Aug 28, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #3,058 of 3,609
Quote:

Headstage Arrow 4T amp
DX50
Toshiba drive

Once you get the drive and DX50 could you please throw up some pics showing how it looks mated together? If the enclosure isn't to big and the battery life isn't compromised to badly that might  be a great option.

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #3,060 of 3,609
Quote:
Wow, that thing is really slim and cheap :|

Oi, are you eyeing-up my missus? 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back