DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Aug 16, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #2,041 of 3,609
Why would someone buy such a stupidly expensive SD card, if he/she could just buy two 64gb ones for the fraction of the price?

Well, I think some people just have the money for things like this....still seems unreasonable to me.

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #2,042 of 3,609
They are not yet available so that looks like an attempt to attract business. Even if it was, that's a ridiculous price to pay for it, like you said two 64gb are better priced as long one does not mind switching cards.

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #2,043 of 3,609
Quote:
I got this of the CEntrance Hifi-M8 thread...

Looks like mikemercer got a chance to listen to a DX50...

3 hours, 42 minutes ago

1. [img]http://cdn.head-fi.org/d/da/100x100px-LS-daf6db95_AudezeDummyHead3.jpeg[/img]
  1. mikemercer
  2. Reviewer: The Daily Swarm, Positive Feedback, Part-Time Audiophile, HPsoundings
  3. badge_100.v1376597062.png
  5. offline
  1. 446 Posts. Joined 9/2009
  2. Location: Los Angeles, California

I think you've come up with some excellent examples here.
I got to play with the iBasso, and despite its bigger size than my AK100, it seemed like a solid performer.

And BTW:

Congratulations to @mgoodman and crew for the official PR/announcement that went out today on HiFi-M8!!

I can't WAIT to hear it

not much info, but at least now we know somebody's heard this thing.

this is really intriguing. Now I want it even more. just need a comparison between this and the x3 :D

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #2,044 of 3,609
Quote:
this is really intriguing. Now I want it even more. just need a comparison between this and the x3 :D

But will the DX50 come in at $230 or $270?  That price difference pays for a 64gb micro sd card.  The $230 price would put it much closer to the Fiio X3 which is more widely available.  With ibasso you also have to factor in shipping costs and the DHL/FedEx scam tax when they 'process' it in customs.

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #2,045 of 3,609
Quote:
But will the DX50 come in at $230 or $270?  That price difference pays for a 64gb micro sd card.  The $230 price would put it much closer to the Fiio X3 which is more widely available.  With ibasso you also have to factor in shipping costs and the DHL/FedEx scam tax when they 'process' it in customs.

yes, that is a somewhat important factor for many. It's not that important to me, but still...

also what are the shipping costs from ibasso (in general)? and what scam tax thing are you talking about?

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #2,046 of 3,609
Quote:
yes, that is a somewhat important factor for many. It's not that important to me, but still...

also what are the shipping costs from ibasso (in general)? and what scam tax thing are you talking about?

I've never had EMS/ TOLL/ DHL charge me tax of any kind. Maybe it's only in EU. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #2,047 of 3,609

I don't what you guys are talking about, iBasso charges a fixed shipping cost, it's high that I admit but it's from China and they ship it express with an average of 3 days so still reasonable. Are you sure it's not a customs issue with your orders from your country?

I don't get charged any taxes when it crosses the border.

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #2,048 of 3,609
Quote:
I've never had EMS/ TOLL/ DHL charge me tax of any kind. Maybe it's only in EU. 

I live in the EU and I can assure you that certain companies are very careful when filling out those customs declarations. 

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #2,050 of 3,609
In the UK any item imported from outside the E.U. with a declared value over £15 ($23) is subject to import taxes of approx 30%. If this weren't bad enough, the delivery company typically charge a £10 administration fee for collecting the aforementioned taxes on behalf of customs & excise.

Some overseas retailers happily vastly under declare the value of an item on the customs declaration. This is especially true (in my experience) when the items value could be ambiguous to a non-audiophile customs officer, e.g. an expensive bespoke audio cable. I've also imported audio gear worth $3,000 and escaped import duty by asking the exporter to label the item as a `warranty repair' and assign a nominal value to it. Though this latter tactic would be risky if the package got trashed in transit and you had to file an insurance claim.

Cheers,
Andy.  

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #2,051 of 3,609
Quote:
In the UK any item imported from outside the E.U. with a declared value over £15 ($23) is subject to import taxes of approx 30%. If this weren't bad enough, the delivery company typically charge a £10 administration fee for collecting the aforementioned taxes on behalf of customs & excise.

Some overseas retailers happily vastly under declare the value of an item on the customs declaration. This is especially true (in my experience) when the items value could be ambiguous to a non-audiophile customs officer, e.g. an expensive bespoke audio cable. I've also imported audio gear worth $3,000 and escaped import duty by asking the exporter to label the item as a `warranty repair' and assign a nominal value to it. Thus this latter tactic is risky if the package gets trashed in transit and you have to file an insurance claim.

Cheers,
Andy.  

30%?! That's insane...

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #2,052 of 3,609
Probably best to stay off this line of conversation on a public forum guys - take it to PM guys

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #2,053 of 3,609
Well then... to bring it back to the original topic, FOUR DAYS LEFT!!!!!!

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #2,054 of 3,609
4 Days...wooohooo!
Wonder if there will be an introductory discount?

Aug 16, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #2,055 of 3,609
I understand that you guys can import goods with a value up to $2,000 without incurring any import duty. 

As an example of our punitive taxation system I imported some joint pills for my mum worth £15.03, which is only 3p over the threshold limit, but that 3p cost me around £4 in import tax and a £10 administration charge from the delivery company. So the £15.03 became £29.03p, virtually double the initial cost. 

Andy.

Quote:
30%?! That's insane...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back