DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #9,181 of 10,343
Thanks Jam.

Do you use any particular app for communicating with the device (FiiO didn’t work with Explorer so had to use AFT) ?
AFT but haven't used it in a long time.

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #9,183 of 10,343
I’ll be using a Mac to transfer music files.
On the FiiO I’d previously used Android File Transfer app. What do you guys recommend for both music file transfers and getting firmware dates copied over onto the device ?

AFT was painfully slow and often crashed on the Mac.
For firmware updates, I download the zip files directly onto the DX320 through the browser and do the update locally. To transfer music, I use Macdroid, which works much better than AFT.

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #9,185 of 10,343
Ditto that. I gave. up on AFT. Macdroid works perfectly.
To transfer music, I use Macdroid, which works much better than AFT.

Mar 14, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #9,187 of 10,343
Was reading quite a useful review and then he said there was a difference in sound signature between the internal drive and his SD card.
At that point I put down my iPad 😆🤦‍♂️
There are people that legitimately claim to hear the difference (even on this thread :)). I am not sure if there have been any actual blind studies delving into this theory or not though. Apparently, the belief is that the way the bits & bytes are stored and how they are transferred make the sound change. I, personally, cannot hear the difference though. I have heard stranger things I suppose.

After all you CAN hear the difference in DACs in a circuit. And all it is doing is converting from digital to analog, so you wouldn't think you COULD hear a difference, but this I can actually hear; though I have not done any "blind" studies to prove/disprove it.

Mar 14, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #9,188 of 10,343
I can see the conversion in a DAC making a difference although I’ve never witnessed it. To be true blind, wouldn’t you physically have to swap a DAC chip out of the same device, keeping volume and IEMs the same, so every single other influence is identical ?

Any way, I’m not going down that rabbit hole. Just counting down the days and watching the tracking updates for deliver 😆

Just going back to firmware updates, whichever way you do it (download to PC/Mac and transfer or download directly) you have to unzip the download then use the Firmware enclosed right ? (Just asking as FiiO updates were never zipped)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #9,189 of 10,343
I can see the conversion in a DAC making a difference although I’ve never witnessed it. To be true blind, wouldn’t you physically have to swap a DAC chip out of the same device, keeping volume and IEMs the same, so every single other influence is identical ?

Any way, I’m not going down that rabbit hole. Just counting down the days and watching the tracking updates for deliver 😆

Just going back to firmware updates, whichever way you do it (download to PC/Mac and transfer or download directly) you have to unzip the download then use the Firmware enclosed right ? (Just asking as FiiO updates were never zipped)
Yes you will need to unzip it. I download it from ibasso's website on my 320X. Link https://ibasso.com/dx320firmware/
Please remember to copy/move the unzipped file to the root of your internal storage or memory card. Like below.
20230315_010329.jpg

Go to the updater and click on the 3 dots on the top right corner -> local update and select the file and you're set to update. After the update reboot a couple of times and enjoy.
Hope this helps!

Mar 14, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #9,191 of 10,343
Just unzip one time, the file for update is a zip file (if you see what I mean).
For file transfer on Mac I'm using Commander one (a file manager) and it's working fine without AFT.
Enjoy your DX320!

Mar 14, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #9,192 of 10,343
Thanks for that. Apart from over the air updates, I’ve always preferred local updates for Firmware on the FiiO.

So what’s the procedure to do local updates on the DX320 and any particular app to use (I’m on a Mac).
Congrats on the new shiny! Honestly, give it a few days and you can directly update via Settings > System > Updater. See manual page 23. https://www.ibasso.com/uploadfiles/download/DX320usermanual.pdf

Successfully upgraded from 2.03 > 2.05 > 2.06 this way no issues.

Mar 14, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #9,193 of 10,343
Was reading quite a useful review and then he said there was a difference in sound signature between the internal drive and his SD card.
At that point I put down my iPad 😆🤦‍♂️
It has absolutely nothing to do with the data, that is preserved and error chrecksumed.

It has everything to do with how the dac (including all its associated circuits) interprets the data to music...

This is the "stumbling block" that the "sound-science" faction cannot understand, and chooses to keep their blinders on. The data IS preserved, but "interpreted" differently by each dac.

Not necessary at all.
A simple"NULL" TEST proves that everything is different.
Also, Dac chips need associated circuits tuned/optimized to them individually, so it will be different.

In fact, the only way to make two different units sound the same, IS to do null test under various real music, like the challenge that the American genius "Bob Carver" had long ago. He made his SS amp sound exactly like a tube amp, thru his own secret tuning methods, but by checking, using the Null method, to weed out enough differences, below a certain threshold of dB.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #9,194 of 10,343
Like I said, I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole mate 😆😆👍

I spent 30 years software testing, absolutely no clue about audio. I lost count the number of times a developer told me being on a different platform or different device should make zero difference.

Then I raised a defect report 🫤

But I get your point thanks. 👍

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #9,195 of 10,343
Just unzip one time, the file for update is a zip file (if you see what I mean).
For file transfer on Mac I'm using Commander one (a file manager) and it's working fine without AFT.
Enjoy your DX320!
$30 wow.

I’ll give Macdroid a try first for the big transfer. If unsuccessful that will be my next call thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back