DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Aug 3, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #5,146 of 10,346
This would explain why initially, bass was lean, midrange was recessed and treble was raised.

In regard to your opinion about the sound being flat I somewhat disagree cause I compared dx320 vs wm1z m2 vs dx300 and is not far by that much from 1zm2 in technical realms.
May be “Flat” wasn’t the right word. Sorry this is my first Reference DAP and I’m more of a music enjoyer than a details guy, if that makes sense. I quoted another person above from what he said, that’s how I feel about the sound.

I’ve had Sony DAPs before. Still have my good old A40. Rest all are gone, including the ZX507. I do love the punch they have, especially when using DSEE. It’s also why my main IEM is VE EXT. DX320 doesn’t do justice to the dual dynamic drivers in them ! No complains about the highs though, here iBasso nailed it. What I’m missing is some oomph on the lower/mid end.

Wanna know something funny ? I cancelled my WM1AM2 Japan pre-order just before it shipped, God knows why and then I bought this :p

DX320 is not bad in anyway. I’m still enjoying some occasional music listening on it. It’s just not my type the way it sounds !!

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #5,147 of 10,346
May be “Flat” wasn’t the right word. Sorry this is my first Reference DAP and I’m more of a music enjoyer than a details guy, if that makes sense. I quoted another person above from what he said, that’s how I feel about the sound.

I’ve had Sony DAPs before. Still have my good old A40. Rest all are gone, including the ZX507. I do love the punch they have, especially when using DSEE. It’s also why my main IEM is VE EXT. DX320 doesn’t do justice to the dual dynamic drivers in them ! No complains about the highs though, here iBasso nailed it. What I’m missing is some oomph on the lower/mid end.

Wanna know something funny ? I cancelled my WM1AM2 Japan pre-order just before it shipped, God knows why and then I bought this :p

DX320 is not bad in anyway. I’m still enjoying some occasional music listening on it. It’s just not my type the way it sounds !!
Sounds like you like "fun" or "musical" rather than "analytical" or "neutral".... :)

Aug 3, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #5,148 of 10,346
Sounds like you like "fun" or "musical" rather than "analytical" or "neutral".... :)
You Sir are right and now I know what that means exactly ! :D

I have here a couple of DAC/AMPs and some DAPs. Whenever I read posts on head-fi that said words like “musical” or “analytical”, I never fully understood what it meant. Having a reference DAP now I know the difference !

Anyways, if Paul solves the USB DAC latency, I’m definitely keeping my DX320. I’m probably spoiled by those “big punchy” DACs. The more I listen to the DX320 I’m getting used to it and liking it too :) Just need to occasionally rant here until I’m fully converted ! :p

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #5,149 of 10,346

I have here a couple of DAC/AMPs and some DAPs. Whenever I read posts on head-fi that said words like “musical” or “analytical”, I never fully understood what it meant. Having a reference DAP now I know the difference !

Anyways, if Paul solves the USB DAC latency, I’m definitely keeping my DX320. I’m probably spoiled by those “big punchy” DACs. The more I listen to the DX320 I’m getting used to it and liking it too :) Just need to occasionally rant here until I’m fully converted ! :p
Have you tried the Amp13 card? It definitely adds some "musicality" to the sound, but remains clear nonetheless.

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #5,150 of 10,346
Have you tried the Amp13 card? It definitely adds some "musicality" to the sound, but remains clear nonetheless.
The more I listen to the DX320, my brain is telling me that this is how it should sound and not like the extra punchy things I have been listening to. Especially after the latest firmware update, it does sound really good and if this continues I might have to throw all my other devices in the trash :p

Meanwhile, in another tab in the browser ...
1659566004327.png

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #5,151 of 10,346
The more I listen to the DX320, my brain is telling me that this is how it should sound and not like the extra punchy things I have been listening to. Especially after the latest firmware update, it does sound really good and if this continues I might have to throw all my other devices in the trash :p

Meanwhile, in another tab in the browser ...
1659566004327.png
I have been using AMP12 because I am using the LO to my amps because I want to hear the core of what the 320 can do. Out to the LTA Z10e or the RSA A-10 with the Voce with the new pads. What I am enjoying is very fine analog sound.

Aug 3, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #5,152 of 10,346
I have been using AMP12 because I am using the LO to my amps because I want to hear the core of what the 320 can do. Out to the LTA Z10e or the RSA A-10 with the Voce with the new pads. What I am enjoying is very fine analog sound.
Well .. as soon as I get my AMP13, I will see what a difference an AMP can make, especially a TUBE AMP. Would be my first, excited ! :D

Aug 3, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #5,153 of 10,346

Definitely the DX320 on stock amp is not tilted toward overly warm, fun, or colored. But do note that it is far from the "typical" analytical hi-fi that companies had been producing for the past 2 decades. In recent years, the (portable) "fake" hifi sound is being polished and DX320 is an example. When I compare the DX320 to actual bright, analytical, or boring sources, or pair the DX320 with a bright headphone, what the DX320 does different is that it is not shrill, and also your ears don't hurt from the music from turning the volume up on the DX320 (unless ofc you are actually turning it up past the pain thresholds :p) Now, ofc those who listen to the far left of the spectrum (warm signatures) will think the DX320 hurts their ears.

Actually, the DX320 does treble well, and it's more aggressive (but not hot) than bright. And having heard different tunings, I know that increased upper mids presence can appear negative at first, but there is a magic in details that pop at you in many tracks that changes the sound and feeling of the track completely, and it does so in a way where I cannot go back. Warmer tuning sounds more smooth and soothing, and so ppl call it musical, but those underemphasized micro details and frequencies part of the background that no longer pop out changes certain tracks completely. The DX320 does not go extreme in any direction at all though, so it's just got a touch of that magic combined with the dynamics and the spatial properties of the DAP.

while neutral/analytical amps/dacs sound great on certain tracks, some tracks don't sound good. Those tracks sounded good on the DX320, which goes to show the musical properties of the DX320, despite being being called analytical and detailed oriented. Compared to super bright/super aggressive gears, the DX320 has the good aspects while minimizing the drawbacks because it actually has a musical element. But for those who always listened to super smooth or colored sound, the DX320 to them is just a bright gear that is no different from anything that isn't as warm or colored as they like. Well, a pillow will hurt if you've been getting hit by clouds :cloud::cloud::cloud:

Super aggressive sound can hurt your ears even in the midrange. The DX320 is nowhere close to that. But ofc if someone has been listening to warm tunings, they will think the DX320 is another overly hot sound.

If I had to say, the DX320 is for ppl who want accuracy, natural sound, detail, and technical performance but who were stuck with boring sound in the past. Those ppl can see the DX320 gives them all that and removed the drawbacks of the bright/analytical/shrill/boring sound. But for those who prefer the left end of the spectrum, they aren't looking for the same thing so they aren't getting much from the DX320.

But this is just talking about stock amp on DX320. From what I'm reading, the miracle seems to be the upcoming Amp12EXN-S.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #5,154 of 10,346

That's why I kept my Sony DAPs, ZX500, and A55...When I want fun punchy and engaging, that's what I use otherwise it's the DX240 for me +AMP8MK2. Ibasso will be more reference-like and technical while Sony grabs you and pulls you in with the musicality and fun sound sig. Plenty of Bass. Meanwhile, at work, I use the tiny but very impressive Hiby R3Pro Saber. Sounds 80% as good as the DX240 for under $200.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #5,155 of 10,346
Definitely the DX320 on stock amp is not tilted toward overly warm, fun, or colored. But do note that it is far from the "typical" analytical hi-fi that companies had been producing for the past 2 decades. In recent years, the "fake" hifi sound is being polished and DX320 is an example. When I compare the DX320 to actual bright, analytical, or boring sources, or pair the DX320 with a bright headphone, what the DX320 does different is that it is not shrill, and also your ears don't hurt from the music from turning the volume up on the DX320 (unless ofc you are actually turning it up past the pain thresholds :p) Now, ofc those who listen to the far left of the spectrum (warm signatures) will think the DX320 hurts their ears.

Actually, the DX320 does treble well, and it's more aggressive (but not hot) than bright. And having heard different tunings, I know that increased upper mids presence can appear negative at first, but there is a magic in details that pop at you in many tracks that changes the sound and feeling of the track completely, and it does so in a way where I cannot go back. Warmer tuning sounds more smooth and soothing, and so ppl call it musical, but those underemphasized micro details and frequencies part of the background that no longer pop out changes certain tracks completely. The DX320 does not go extreme in any direction at all though, so it's just got a touch of that magic combined with the dynamics and the spatial properties of the DAP.

while neutral/analytical amps/dacs sound great on certain tracks, some tracks don't sound good. Those tracks sounded good on the DX320, which goes to show the musical properties of the DX320, despite being being called analytical and detailed oriented. Compared to super bright/super aggressive gears, the DX320 has the good aspects while minimizing the drawbacks because it actually has a musical element. But for those who always listened to super smooth or colored sound, the DX320 to them is just a bright gear that is no different from anything that isn't as warm or colored as they like. Well, a pillow will hurt if you've been getting hit by clouds :cloud::cloud::cloud:

Super aggressive sound can hurt your ears even in the midrange. The DX320 is nowhere close to that. But ofc if someone has been listening to warm tunings, they will think the DX320 is another overly hot sound.

If I had to say, the DX320 is for ppl who want accuracy, natural sound, detail, and technical performance but who were stuck with boring sound in the past. Those ppl can see the DX320 gives them all that and removed the drawbacks of the bright/analytical/shrill/boring sound. But for those who prefer the left end of the spectrum, they aren't looking for the same thing so they aren't getting much from the DX320.

But this is just talking about stock amp on DX320. From what I'm reading, the miracle seems to be the upcoming Amp12EXN-S.
Sounds like your take on it is like mine for the iBasso IT-07; analytical in nature, while retaining a fun sound, not clinical and boring like some past Sennheiser phones were. :)

Aug 3, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #5,156 of 10,346

I have to agree to your very long post :D
I’ve been listening to my favourite tracks for 4 hours straight now and I don’t feel like turning it off. It’s almost 3am here.
After the latest firmware update it did sound a bit harsh at first, but not anymore. It’s musical enough for me with all the extra details like you said !
That's why I kept my Sony DAPs, ZX500, and A55...When I want fun punchy and engaging, that's what I use otherwise it's the DX240 for me +AMP8MK2. Ibasso will be more reference-like and technical while Sony grabs you and pulls you in with the musicality and fun sound sig. Plenty of Bass. Meanwhile, at work, I use the tiny but very impressive Hiby R3Pro Saber. Sounds 80% as good as the DX240 for under $200.
I take my IFI Go Blu to work and use Bluetooth. Fits in my pocket and I can still use my phone while commuting without any cables hanging around !
Also yes DX320 is not as punchy as the Sonys but I’m used to this now and it sounds good to my ears :D

Aug 3, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #5,157 of 10,346
BTW! Congrats on your new "shiny"... :)

Which amp card is that, 12 or 13?
Thanks!

Thats the AMP13, apparently the tubey goodness :wink:

I will finally start listening to the DX320 in a couple hours. Can't wait!!

Aug 3, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #5,160 of 10,346

Ever thought about buying the latest amp12 mod from NP Audio? Steven is testing on mine. Replacing the op amps brings a lot in the bass range as Steve told me. He also tunes it extra for the DX320. He has so many new film capacitors in use now. I think this is going to be an amazing amp 12. It's definitely worth trying before you sell your DX320 almost new for half the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back