DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jul 29, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #4,953 of 10,343
What? Not for a usb dac?
Fiio m17 can be one.
They are differenent?
It can but the battery will be under constant load. M17 has DC mode that bypasses the battery and it draws power straight from the socket. But thats an exception in a dap world at the moment.

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #4,954 of 10,343
I don't think that will change. It is a design issue (or better to say limitation), and iBasso is probably not going to scrap their current stock to "redesign" the amp card. I guess it comes down to either living with it or selling it off (unfortunately). Which DOES kinda' suck; however, it doesn't bother me that badly (I'm not really OCD about this), and I will happily use it until it dies (probably).

I wonder if one uses the DX as a source to another amp, if one can hear the crackling then as well? Because it doesn't have a true LO, so still goes through the amp section to the 3.5mm connectors (even though iBasso is calling the low V output as a LO). I know that @jamato8 has used it this way, and don't recall hearing it mentioned that there is audible noise downstream.
Some in here say the noise is absent entirely… that’s kinda what I am asking…

Jul 29, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #4,955 of 10,343
Is this good for usb dac?
I consider to buy for replacing D90se/a90 amp to get some deskspace.
I’ve said this before in this thread. This DAP had (before the latest firmware update) more than 100ms latency which makes it unusable for anything other than music listening. New firmware is said to have improved this but I haven’t tried it yet so can’t say how much it has improved. Nevertheless it’s an Android DAP and it will always have some latency and audio/video sync issues.

Also like others have said a DAP is not the best or economical to use as a DAC as DAPs run on battery.

If you want to have a good DAC/AMP to save space, look at something like the IFI Xdsd Gryphon or the newer IFI Go Bar !

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #4,956 of 10,343
I use it as a USB DAC on my Shield Pro and Dune HD Vision Pro Solo media player. There was some crackling on the Shield originally but that was resolved the latest update to the shield by Nvidia. Zero lipsynch issues (this was before the latest firmware update for the DX320).

It's great for movies/tv and music although I only tend to use it for movies or TV. I have music apps on the DX320. I also own the FiiO BRT5 2021 and the DX320 is much better amp wise. At least on the stock amp on the 4.4mm port.

This is the first I'm reading it being bad for the battery. Honestly I found the battery drain to be pretty slow compared to music. I assumed it was doing minimal processing to not cause lipsynch issues. I could be wrong but that would explain the slow battery drain as less post processing would use less power although you are obviously still using the amp which does the use the smaller battery. Regardless I am not worried about it and it works great. With that said it's not my primary use for it and there are cheaper alternatives if that is your primary concern. In Android there is a dedicated software button to enter USB DAC mode. I think the option is in MangoOS also.

I don't know if it's the new moon audio silver dragon V2 IEM cable or new firmware update (or a combo of both) but the latest firmware is sounding spot on and I haven't even tried the AMP13 card yet. Pretty sure the firmware update had more of an impact but I got the cable yesterday and saw there was new firmware out so not a lot of time between getting the cable and updating. Acoustic instruments are more natural and vocals are even more clear. More seperation of instruments. I really haven't had much time with either yet though but there is an improvement, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #4,957 of 10,343
I’ve said this before in this thread. This DAP had (before the latest firmware update) more than 100ms latency which makes it unusable for anything other than music listening. New firmware has said to have improved this but I haven’t tried how good. Nevertheless it’s an Android DAP and it will always have some latency and audio/video sync issues.

Also like others have said a DAP is not the best or economical to use as a DAC as DAPs run on battery.

If you want to have a good DAC/AMP to save space, look at something like the IFI Xdsd Gryphon or the newer IFI Go Bar !
Even before the latest firmware update I had zero lipsynch issues with the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019. There was a random soft popping issue that Nvidia fixed with the latest update to the shield but no lipsynch issues, at least for the shield. I can't speak all devices obviously. My other media player had lipsynch issues but it has forward and backwards lipsynch correction so no issues there either but most media players don't have that option.

Jul 29, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #4,958 of 10,343
Just to clarify my opinion with regards to the previous post. I had >100ms latency when connected to my laptop as an USB DAC. Could be a driver issue but then iBasso afaik does not provide any USB drivers for their DAP.
I don’t have any latency issues when I connect any one of the dedicated DAC/AMPs that I have.

Anyways I’ll update my findings once I test the new firmware. Sound has definitely improved, even though still not to my liking.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #4,959 of 10,343
I will say that the local playback lip sync issue has been resolved. It was really bad before on just YouTube. Around 200 to 300ms if I had to guess. Maybe less but very noticeable and now it's completely gone, at least to my eyes. I went ahead and I installed Plex to test that also and had zero lip sync issues and it direct played UHD files from my local NAS. If you don't recognize the movie then get off my lawn 😁

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220729-084216.png
    Screenshot_20220729-084216.png
    284.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20220729-084227.png
    Screenshot_20220729-084227.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 29, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #4,960 of 10,343
Is anyone else having issues with the lock screen going to a "black" screen when the screen is off and pressing the power button or double tapping? What I mean is you can tell the backlight comes on when you press the power button but it's just a black screen. If I press the power button again, wait a second, and press it one more time then the generic lock screen ALWAYS comes up where I can swipe up. This happens with double tap also to wake up the phone so it's the same behavior regardless. Sometimes it comes up the first time but it's random

I do not have a pin enabled but just a generic lock screen to swipe up.. I've had this issue since the OG firmware shipped. All updates but the first were downloaded from iBasso and put at the root of the sdcard. First update was OTA via WiFi when I checked via Android settings out of the box, or soon after. All have been direct updates. I have never done a complete factory reset or use the utility that has been brought up in this thread that I have downloaded for flashing the DX320 firmware. If needed I will do that but want to confirm it will resolve the issue before going that route. At least as sure as I can be.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #4,961 of 10,343
I’m exactly in the same boat. Amp wise i think its clear it will not be a competition, but dac wise i wonder.
Sound quality-wise, yes, this is an excellent USB DAC. For practicality, I would not say it was meant to be used on a full-time basis though. Although you CAN use it that way if you feel the need, there are just better to be had and for less money. The DX is like a jack of all trades where it can do a lot of things. The USB DAC feature (I think) was meant to be used as a temporary solution, not as a permanent desktop solution.

Having said that, I hook mine up to the PC all the time and use it, and it works great. I have also used it as a BT DAC (what a cool feature), and it also works well that way. But, I don't leave it there. :)
Is anyone else having issues with the lock screen going to a "black" screen when the screen is off and pressing the power button or double tapping? What I mean is you can tell the backlight comes on when you press the power button but it's just a black screen. If I press the power button again, wait a second, and press it one more time then the generic lock screen ALWAYS comes up where I can swipe up. This happens with double tap also to wake up the phone so it's the same behavior regardless. Sometimes it comes up the first time but it's random

I do not have a pin enabled but just a generic lock screen to swipe up.. I've had this issue since the OG firmware shipped. All updates but the first were downloaded from iBasso and put at the root of the sdcard. First update was OTA via WiFi when I checked via Android settings out of the box, or soon after. All have been direct updates. I have never done a complete factory reset or use the utility that has been brought up in this thread that I have downloaded for flashing the DX320 firmware. If needed I will do that but want to confirm it will resolve the issue before going that route. At least as sure as I can be.
I have never encountered that situation, but I don't use a lock-screen on mine at all. I don't want to have to swipe or type EVERY time I turn it on. I want it to go straight to (whatever) music player app I have open at the time. Have you tried getting rid of the lock-screen altogether just to see if it has something to do with the lock-screen itself?

Jul 29, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #4,962 of 10,343

Yes, happens every time. I got used to it already. There is some time out when screen is off which triggers this behavior.

Jul 29, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #4,963 of 10,343
Yes, happens every time. I got used to it already. There is some time out when screen is off which triggers this behavior.
I don't use Lock Screen. Never liked using it. Much faster just to have the unlocked screen and it isn't a phone with confidential information on it. Wait, my phone doesn't have Lock Screen either. lol

Jul 29, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #4,964 of 10,343
Speaking of odd behavior, I have also noticed that when I hit the power button (to turn the screen off), if I touch the screen within a short enough period of time (something like 1-2 seconds), the screen will come back on. It has been this way (for me) since day one even with "tap to wake" turned off. Not a big deal, just something one has to get used to.

Jul 29, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #4,965 of 10,343
I tested USB DAC functionality connected to my laptop with the latest firmware. Unfortunately nothing has changed, latency remains same as before. Here are the details.

Tested on the following:
Windows 11 (on 2 different laptops)
Ubuntu 22.04
IPad Air 4

Tried different USB ports (all USB 3.2) and Type C ports both on laptop and iPad. Used different cables including the one that came with the DAP.

Latency: >100ms
Conclusion: Still unusable as an USB DAC on PC for anything other than music listening.

I have a couple of other desktop and portable DAC/AMPs. None of them have this latency issue. So it’s definitely the DX320.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back