DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jul 26, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #4,801 of 10,346
Don't think it's my gear - I am listening to the same IEMs and cables betewen both FW.
U18s currently in my ears; EXT yesterday. same result - upper mids/lower treble in the new FW significantly smoother than v2.02
I agreed about the firmware, I was meant to ask if your sensitivity from upper mid is a result of your gears. Some gears are more probed to distortions and sibilant to upper mid spectrum, and when paired with highly resolved DAPs or system, they could be quiet piercing

Jul 26, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #4,802 of 10,346
Update on removing Thieaudio MK2 earpiece connectors.

Thieaudio has kindly answered my question regarding removing the cables from the earpieces. Apparently they’ve used some kind of new system inside the shells to keep the cables attached more firmly.

They recommend to grab the silver piece between thumb and index finger (🙂) and instead of pulling straight, wiggle the connector slightly in the length direction until the pins slowly come out of the shells.

Still abroad and enjoying the MK2 very much, so I’ll consider this again when I get home. Thing is, the Tralucent cable is simply begging to be tested… 🙈😂

Jul 26, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #4,804 of 10,346
I agreed about the firmware, I was meant to ask if your sensitivity from upper mid is a result of your gears. Some gears are more probed to distortions and sibilant to upper mid spectrum, and when paired with highly resolved DAPs or system, they could be quiet piercing
Oh I see, thanks for clarifying.
I have had this sensitivity across many different DAPs, IEMs, and cables - and dozens (hundreds even) combinations of them. If the gear has even the slightest tendancy towards bright upper mids/lower treble, I have a hard time with it.

Jul 26, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #4,805 of 10,346
Thanks to everyones experiences/reviews on the FW and DX320/M9. Gonna order the 320 soon as well. Only need to know if i really need to purchase the 12 (EXN).
You don't need Amp12, AMP11mk2s is excellent. If you want to try another AMP, you should get the AMP13 imo.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #4,807 of 10,346
updating the new firmware now..hmm time to swap back to 11.2 and listen to it again... anyone tried with amp13? any changes on amp13 sound signature?
I spent most of last night going back and forth between the current and the previous firmware. While I think the latest is improved in many ways, I also find it to be a bit fatiguing due to more edginess in the upper mids/lower treble. I see several posts of people stating the opposite but I definitely find the new one fatiguing. Using AMP13 exacerbates this issue with the latest firmware for me. This is across many different genres and several different headphones/IEMs(Atrium, Liric, U12t, U6t). What surprised me most was the U6t since I've never heard it sound fatiguing on any source. On the previous firmware the U6t with AMP13 was insanely smooth. I even did some more testing this morning since I wanted to rule out state of mind from last night.

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #4,809 of 10,346
I spent most of last night going back and forth between the current and the previous firmware. While I think the latest is improved in many ways, I also find it to be a bit fatiguing due to more edginess in the upper mids/lower treble. I see several posts of people stating the opposite but I definitely find the new one fatiguing. Using AMP13 exacerbates this issue with the latest firmware for me. This is across many different genres and several different headphones/IEMs(Atrium, Liric, U12t, U6t). What surprised me most was the U6t since I've never heard it sound fatiguing on any source. On the previous firmware the U6t with AMP13 was insanely smooth. I even did some more testing this morning since I wanted to rule out state of mind from last night.
Yes, hearing, obviously, is very individual, subjective, but I am not getting that at all. Even the line out is upped in quality output and sounding extremely fine on my electrostatics.

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #4,810 of 10,346
Agree here. The extended upper mids/lower trebles and linear bass still exist. I dont think any fw can fix this, its just the way the dx320 is tuned. For me also the vocals are too close to my face. They are just too big in size and sound too heavy.
I think only amp12 can change this but i dont like its diffused transients (yes i have EXN version).
I ordered a barely used shanling m8 in a good price, because of its organic, laid back nature and a very musical and engaging Shanlings house sound. I know that its SoC is dated but i dont play games on a dap:)
Tomorrow will be doing some comparisons. But for now, after all these initial OHHs and WOWs with the 320, the fatigue comes always after 1h of listening. Its just too much and too close to my face with these upper mids.
IBasso is great in what is doing but to my ears, its just bit too in my face-like presentation.
I hesitated to write what I thought, because what for. But why not :)

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #4,811 of 10,346
Need more testing but my usual track for piercing trumpet turned out instead glowing and refined. No piercing edginess that I can usually get on other firmware or amp boards setups.
It could by a synergy dependent thing.

To those that experience this, I would stop using Neutron player or EQ or anything else that could be a factor, and test again...
Neutron has always displayed a closer presentation, regardless of firmware.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #4,812 of 10,346
Need more testing but my usual track for piercing trumpet turned out instead glowing and refined. No piercing edginess that I can usually get on other firmware or amp boards setups.

To those that experience this, I would stop using Neutron player or EQ or anything else that could be a factor, and test again...
Yes, i think iems/headphones with this fr area significantly tamed, can be a great pairing.

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #4,813 of 10,346

Some version neutrons is pretty good, but it changes with new firmware. Neutron is a great player, but not stable enough. MangoOS is the best !! And this is still only Ibasso, nothing else out there will offer you this level of dedication in a dedicated players, even at 2X the cost

Jul 26, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #4,814 of 10,346
There is another factor about this latest upgrade, which is very impressive to me.

For a long time, I had reformatted my SD card, using the largest byte size, as explained here...

The biggest and only drawback, which made me want to revert, was an occasional hiccup/delay when playing music. I have been very much procrastinating to redo my SD card, because I don't want to loose the fidelity I gained from this large byte size.

So the dx300 had these occasional hiccups, and then the dx320.
What I noticed is that the OG firmware had less hiccups than the other firmwares, BUT this latest firmware has had no hiccups at all playing all into the night not one time did it have any difficulty with my SD card at maximum byte size!

So I am very impressed at the performance this unit is showing now.
I have been only using Mango, as I like it's grander presentation over players like Neutron. Also it ran cooler on mangoOS. So far this OS is sounding the best I heard, having qualities reminding me of the best DAPs I heard. No regrets here. End game with the flexibility of amp boards...

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #4,815 of 10,346
There is another factor about this latest upgrade, which is very impressive to me.

For a long time, I had reformatted my SD card, using the largest byte size, as explained here...

The biggest and only drawback, which made me want to revert, was an occasional hiccup/delay when playing music. I have been very much procrastinating to redo my SD card, because I don't want to loose the fidelity I gained from this large byte size.

So the dx300 had these occasional hiccups, and then the dx320.
What I noticed is that the OG firmware had less hiccups than the other firmwares, BUT this latest firmware has had no hiccups at all playing all into the night not one time did it have any difficulty with my SD card at maximum byte size!

So I am very impressed at the performance this unit is showing now.
I have been only using Mango, as I like it's grander presentation over players like Neutron. Also it ran cooler on mangoOS. So far this OS is sounding the best I heard, having qualities reminding me of the best DAPs I heard. No regrets here. End game with the flexibility of amp boards...
I'm curious about this byte site explanation. I don't see the link on your post. Can you edit or post it please. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back