DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 25, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #3,361 of 10,348
All of my hearing tests where done with amp 13 in the right side jack ( its the one that has the cleanest and highest output and is more like a hybrid ss sound )

It drove the hd820 with ease! Volume was at 45/63 highest gain and D1.

It also drove the zmf special edition which I consider hard to drive with no problems at all from the amp 13 too!

Of course you can get maximum output power from stock amp in balanced but to my ears the amp 13 has enormous output power and no slush at all! I like that output on amp13 is one of my favorite.
Man! That is just crazy that it is able to push "hard-to-drive" gear that well at under 1 watt. I don't doubt it though, because I have seen it for myself with all my planars, but it still amazes me. Here's to hoping it can push that 600 Ohm set that is incoming... :)

Jun 25, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #3,363 of 10,348
What about sound from Micron SD card vs DX320's internal storage?
Can't say yet. DX320 hasn't arrived yet, but it's on its way.

Jun 25, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #3,364 of 10,348
Guys I'm in London right now and just came back from the Vortex jazz club. Was on a concert of Jean Toussaint.
What an amazing live experience! I was wondering how the dx323 will reproduce his music and how far it will be from my live experience.
It's so so very close! Even my friend said that its almost indistinguishable from the live performance we just witnessed. The main difference is that on live, his saxophone was even more aggressive and farward sounding.
On the dx323 is very slightly laid back but still almost as natural, organic and intensive.
This is second time I'm comparing my combo dx323+ monarchs 2 to the live performance and im shocked!
The mids and higher mids arent as farward as on the live concert but the clarity and naturalness are very very close. Unbelievable..

Jun 26, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #3,366 of 10,348
Yes. I haven’t dug into this yet. Self employed time constraints… I’m also doing a 30 day trial on Qobuz, will probably go ahead with it. It’s my one beef on Qobuz.

My previous Android use I did system wide EQ through rooting the OS.
Android 10+ don't need the root for that. It works on FiiO Android 10 devices but not sure what iBasso changed in Android stack.

Last thing for the SD card thing: If you hear the slightest of difference with internal or external storage, different SD cards etc. especially considering the separated digital battery, there has to be a major harware design issue which should not be there. I am an electrical engineer by profession and have been doing software development for many years, including DSP programming. Though I do not expect at all that iBasso did a bad design there. The previous explanations of error correction and internal storage errors are not corrected etc. have nothing to do with reality, as especially if you consider the operating system is also residing on the internal storage and any issues would be catastrophic for the operating system, which is working flawlessly. There are several layers on top of the physical layer where the issues would unfold first. It is not about bias, it is about reality.

I am out of this thread.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #3,367 of 10,348
Android 10+ don't need the root for that. It works on FiiO Android 10 devices but not sure what iBasso changed in Android stack.

Last thing for the SD card thing: If you hear the slightest of difference with internal or external storage, different SD cards etc. especially considering the separated digital battery, there has to be a major harware design issue which should not be there. I am an electrical engineer by profession and have been doing software development for many years, including DSP programming. Though I do not expect at all that iBasso did a bad design there. The previous explanations of error correction and internal storage errors are not corrected etc. have nothing to do with reality, as especially if you consider the operating system is also residing on the internal storage and any issues would be catastrophic for the operating system, which is working flawlessly. There are several layers on top of the physical layer where the issues would unfold first. It is not about bias, it is about reality.

I am out of this thread.
It's fine tbh. I appreciate both scientific explanations and user experience and I always want both data when ppl are willing to share. E.g., if I know the best chair ergonomics is scientifically X, I still want to know when other people says X doesn't feel comfortable to them (who is to say new scientific evidence won't indicate there are exceptions to X a century later?). I don't have to believe them but I still want to collect that data. There are people who are aware user experience can be tainted by bias, but still wish to collect that data (they don't believe in exceptions, but are open-minded to them). E.g, If someone says being burnt is a comfortable feeling, I won't burn myself, but I would still ask how blue and red flame compares for them. BUT for microSD, it is something we can try without much harm, so collecting both data is still more interesting before we conduct blind tests ourselves. Doesn't hurt at all.

Besides, there is always the keyword "if" blank, then blank should/shouldn't happen. So it means an exception can always be true (exceptions add to current scientific fact). Testing for ourselves still has meaning, since "if" is always used anyway. Scientists still rely on blind tests as a valid method anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #3,368 of 10,348
Guys I'm in London right now and just came back from the Vortex jazz club. Was on a concert of Jean Toussaint.
What an amazing live experience! I was wondering how the dx323 will reproduce his music and how far it will be from my live experience.
It's so so very close! Even my friend said that its almost indistinguishable from the live performance we just witnessed. The main difference is that on live, his saxophone was even more aggressive and farward sounding.
On the dx323 is very slightly laid back but still almost as natural, organic and intensive.
This is second time I'm comparing my combo dx323+ monarchs 2 to the live performance and im shocked!
The mids and higher mids arent as farward as on the live concert but the clarity and naturalness are very very close. Unbelievable..
Lucky! :relieved:

Jun 26, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #3,369 of 10,348
Back to the sound comparisons. Today I’ve reverted to original firmware and was comparing intensively with SP2K using DX320 -> SP2K -> DX320 in order to more precisely fix what I was hearing.

In my opinion in terms of SQ OG firmware is better and allow to position DX320 with the stock amp as a sidegrade to SP2K, while latest one put DX320 behind.

On OG firmware:
1. You get more crisp and even mids which benefit stock amp alot
2. Less forward lower highs while they still noticeably forward
3. Less separation but more coherent sound overall - without artificial flavor
4. As of sharp edges an microdetails - they are liquid and more smooth but still there. It feels effortless and natural, something in the middle of typical SS, R2R and tubes.

So if you compare OG to SP2K it would be more about tuning preference.
With DX320 you get more mid bass and more hot highs with liquid transients, while on SP2K the sound is more crisp and reference-neutral.

I decided to wait for the recommended burn-in period and buy amp 13 once available.
If I won’t like the combo I’ll sell DX320 and go for Cayin N8ii.

Jun 26, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #3,370 of 10,348
Back to the sound comparisons. Today I’ve reverted to original firmware and was comparing intensively with SP2K using DX320 -> SP2K -> DX320 in order to more precisely fix what I was hearing.

In my opinion in terms of SQ OG firmware is better and allow to position DX320 with the stock amp as a sidegrade to SP2K, while latest one put DX320 behind.

On OG firmware:
1. You get more crisp and even mids which benefit stock amp alot
2. Less forward lower highs while they still noticeably forward
3. Less separation but more coherent sound overall - without artificial flavor
4. As of sharp edges an microdetails - they are liquid and more smooth but still there. It feels effortless and natural, something in the middle of typical SS, R2R and tubes.

So if you compare OG to SP2K it would be more about tuning preference.
With DX320 you get more mid bass and more hot highs with liquid transients, while on SP2K the sound is more crisp and reference-neutral.

I decided to wait for the recommended burn-in period and buy amp 13 once available.
If I won’t like the combo I’ll sell DX320 and go for Cayin N8ii.
With the original software, I think so too. I followed the advice of Jamaoto8 I think it was and started the 3rd update 4 times. It's also gotten a bit better with the sound quality. But I like the very first version best with amp 11MKIIs and amp 12. I thought I was kind of stupid or my ears didn't hear right. But you seem to agree. It would be nice if you could switch directly with A/B. Just like with the digital filter. that would be a good job for @Paul iBasso !!!!

Jun 26, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #3,371 of 10,348
With the original software, I think so too. I followed the advice of Jamaoto8 I think it was and started the 3rd update 4 times. It's also gotten a bit better with the sound quality. But I like the very first version best with amp 11MKIIs and amp 12. I thought I was kind of stupid or my ears didn't hear right. But you seem to agree. It would be nice if you could switch directly with A/B. Just like with the digital filter. that would be a good job for @Paul iBasso !!!!
Be Wary

The 2 latest firmware have Line Out enabled as a default Setting…regardless of what you picked/used on the last firmware.

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #3,373 of 10,348
Be Wary

The 2 latest firmware have Line Out enabled as a default Setting…regardless of what you picked/used on the last firmware.
No matter the FW when updating, I always check the settings, including LO or PO. Seems a normal thing to do.

Jun 26, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #3,374 of 10,348
Be Wary

No matter the FW when updating, I always check the settings, including LO or PO. Seems a normal thing to do.
To be honest I hadn't checked it. But I just checked and it says PO. Can it be that it is recognized automatically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back