DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 25, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #3,346 of 10,359
Just a quiet read along head-fi’r here….

I am a Poweramp user. Used across several HTCs, then a couple One+ devices, now also on the DX320.

What was your question? I missed it.

I’ve also over the years bought Neutron and UAPP. Tried them all on the 320…for now sticking with old faithful Poweramp. It’s UI and way it reads my ~160gb of FLAC files just works.

Neutron and UAPP don’t appear to sort the way I like, haven’t the patience to dig through all the options to make it (or it requires me to redo folder structure). Both also goof album artwork. It’s probably me, but with Poweramp just working straight away….it’s time saved for now. FWIW, Neutron seemed to have some high end distortion on a few songs….probably another deep dive setting. But, it doesn’t happen on Poweramp with my usual setup.
Wavelet and Poweramp EQ (not the player, a separate application) gives the possibility of using a system generic EQ that uses an Android 10+ feature. With that you can EQ/PEQ even the Qobuz application.

Jun 25, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #3,347 of 10,359
Wavelet and Poweramp EQ (not the player, a separate application) gives the possibility of using a system generic EQ that uses an Android 10+ feature. With that you can EQ/PEQ even the Qobuz application.
Yes. I haven’t dug into this yet. Self employed time constraints… I’m also doing a 30 day trial on Qobuz, will probably go ahead with it. It’s my one beef on Qobuz.

My previous Android use I did system wide EQ through rooting the OS.

Jun 25, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #3,348 of 10,359
You can not avoid ribbon cables for portable device and Korg-tubes….or any tubes at all. There are one big issue, the movements of the players, assuming that we categorized it as a portable players and so most of the time they are in your palm or pocket, and constantly on the move. Using ribbon cables gave it 2 main advantages, dampening the physical motions/vibrations, and allowing the placements of the tubes.

Ibasso did a wonderful job on the Amp13, it has a lot more power than the Amp9 back in the day with dx200. It also has more current and output power than even the Cayin N8ii. It drives with a lot of authority. It doesn’t have any observable noises at least to me. The crackling and pops on sound adjustments are randomly happening to me as a bug. I found that if I do factory reset a couple times then it would be gone. But since I do root the DX320, and assign core usages to audio apps…I don’t want to bother much with factory resets. I just set volume at a comfy level and leave it there

With the latest firmware, neutron player doesn’t sound as good as Pure MangoOS. I don’t know what happened, but if one like Neutron player, perhaps the very original firmware is going to be your best bet. It did have some bugs, but it had a wonderful performances. This new firmware has the best MangoOS performances by far

I noticed that I got tagged a couple times, but I believe I have said enough about the MicroSD stuff. Just as you have known, I don’t want and don’t need to convince anyone. I believe that if you are enthusiastic enough, you would love to observe the differences for yourself. You may or may not be able to observe it, but the journey is what worth…not the result :wink:

Absolutely I understand is a portable device but engineers can still avoid using the ribbon inside a dap or an amp that dont have korg tubes…. Yes for the amp 13 there is nothing to do you need the ribbon for the tube part. I have to say neither the less amp13 sounds remarkable! Its my favorite sound so far. Maybe in near future I’ll pull up my pants and get the moded amps too! 😍🤩

By the way I am probably the ultra lucky one here my amp 13 has no bugs and no volume reversed! And everything is just flawless. Also I checked my korg nutube cause you know I am driving and the vibration and shakes would not shift my tape that holds the tubes…. And yea no shifts all very strong and in place!

Attachments

• 97CA75D8-9FCF-4800-B1F7-0F1CC8025F32.jpeg
    97CA75D8-9FCF-4800-B1F7-0F1CC8025F32.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jun 25, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #3,349 of 10,359
Absolutely I understand is a portable device but engineers can still avoid using the ribbon inside a dap or an amp that dont have korg tubes…. Yes for the amp 13 there is nothing to do you need the ribbon for the tube part. I have to say neither the less amp13 sounds remarkable! Its my favorite sound so far. Maybe in near future I’ll pull up my pants and get the moded amps too! 😍🤩

By the way I am probably the ultra lucky one here my amp 13 has no bugs and no volume reversed! And everything is just flawless. Also I checked my korg nutube cause you know I am driving and the vibration and shakes would not shift my tape that holds the tubes…. And yea no shifts all very strong and in place!
No issues with AMP13, use it every day. And the volume reversal was the FW, not the AMP13 per what iBasso put out in information and what I found out, when I updated the FW.

Jun 25, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #3,350 of 10,359
Yes you are right. The price is not as important as the sound. And yes, I can listen to both because a friend ordered the Advar. The price of Campfire Audio Ara was also that of the demo model. Based on your descriptions, I'm actually sure that I would prefer the Meze Advar. I don't like raised mid tones and too bright highs. I'll take a look at both. And the Monarch MKII i like very much with DX 320 .
I'm still amazed by the sound of the Advar's considering their size. They are by far the most comfortable IEM I have ever worn, maybe they just fit in my ear perfectly but fatigue isn't even a thought with the Advars's.

Never worn the campfire ara and obviously sound is the most important factor but being so comfortable (for me at least) is a big plus because they sound great. I will say I have to agree with one review I read where they said it looked like Meze did some special tuning to bring out more emotion in guitar's, which I find to be true although that may be dependent on what music you listen to.

Jun 25, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #3,351 of 10,359
While this will be going back die to false advertising, it seems that when fast charging, it never gets above 20W which is probably for battery health for the overall life of the DX320. Both batteries were at roughly 40 percent and I was listening to the DX320 during this video.

Pay no attention to the Mah/maw readings, that functionality is broken which is why it's going back for one that is much more reliable. It was also supposed to read temperature but it just has a temp sensor in the USB C port that plugs I to the DX320 which is not an accurate place to pull temperature info from.

Jun 25, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #3,352 of 10,359
I am amazed how dx320 manages to drive any headphones I throw at it! Even the mighty hd820 300 ohm and no issues!!! Just mesmerizing.

I am more and more in love with the dx320 with every day use and new test comparisons I go threw it simply accomplish’s any task with ease and glory. Wonderful dap for what it costs honestly.

Big thanks to my friends biggest headphones collection! @dleblanc343 You rock man!

Attachments

• 86546B74-D3AC-4F0F-A0EF-BBE26E35DC58.jpeg
    86546B74-D3AC-4F0F-A0EF-BBE26E35DC58.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 4E79152D-79E3-40FC-9B48-4B821B28EC9F.jpeg
    4E79152D-79E3-40FC-9B48-4B821B28EC9F.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #3,353 of 10,359
I am amazed how dx320 manages to drive any headphones I throw at it! Even the mighty hd820 300 ohm and no issues!!! Just mesmerizing.

I am more and more in love with the dx320 with every day use and new test comparisons I go threw it simply accomplish’s any task with ease and glory. Wonderful dap for what it costs honestly.
Yepe! Definitely confirmed with hd800 family :)!! The Dx300 is very powerful for it sizes and little heat dissipation

Jun 25, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #3,354 of 10,359
Hey folks!
While you guys all so busy with arguing whose and whats fw sounds the best lol I done a lot of listening and comparing of dx320 ( stock amp ) and wm1z m2!

For long time’s sony been a very big legendary dap and I still think it is and holding that throne. Butttttt it is darn incredible how dx320 is just by a smer minimal % just behind the wm1z m2. In fact it could be even on par as the iem I used could have affected the advantage to the sony dap cause I been using the ierz1r with stock cable in balance jack for comparison.

What I have concluded is the treble is more smoothed and less harsh painful singy with wm1z m2. Also bass segment had more details amd textures slightly more then dx320 and stock amp. And one particular aspect of the s-master it is more musical and organical a tiny bit.

Yes also the soundstage and expansiveness of the sound perception is more larger, wider in 1z m2 as it has a huge copper block and kimber kable inside….

Then the dx320 has a more reference and right sound tuning in my tests, when listening to dx320 you dont have emphasize on any frequencies it is presented as they are kinda like a unaltered frequency wave. In comparison 1zm2 is more bassy and very thick sounding and it has that particular sony flavor to the tuning. Some folks may dislike that cause its a lot of sony sound. Dx320 is more transparent in that sense and wile its natural and analog sounding its still very transparent and source fidel.

But the advantages stops here for sony! As dx320 has a very strong and powerful dac in my opinion and not falling behind by any mean at all. The decision to go film capacitors by ibasso was a tremendous awesome wise move. To me it creates such engaging natural enjoyable wow sound presentation. The most amazing star of the show with dx320 is always the vocals in my experience and no matter what amp it always makes vocal very enjoyable to listen.

Amp 13 is in my opinion also the most great music experience out of dx320, it improves the soundstage/expansion of the music, brings in the musicality in a reference aproach, you have 2 jacks 1 is more warmer and tubey and the second one is more clean reference natural like sounding, strong volume and amplitude output. Very natural and never treble edgy, neither in mids high or treble highs.

I personally loce amp 13 and the stronger output jack, it has the most perfect sound tuning for my T5 headphones, also you can use dac 1 or 2 to fine tune your signature. D1 is very refence and fast in dynamics, D2 is more musical and has a longer decay, specially in bass. If you have more colder neutral headphones this option is great for that. Since my headphones are already warm and bassier the D1 suites better.

In quick conclusive words,

Dx320 doesn’t lack behind flagship daps and I think it sits right there behind by 1-3% behind the top dogs crazy over priced daps on the entire planet, it is a true remarkable piece of art offering us such a dap with huge performance for so affordable value, this merits huge shout outs! Very happy to have the dx320 on board and enjoying every little bote of it daily!

I am waiting for my wm1a m2 to arrive and thats my next ultimate test comparison for my dx320 challenge test.
In the end I will keep only the best one according to my preference 😁🙂

IMPORTANT:

I realized that stock amp has RIBONS tape!!! For the 2.5 and 3.5 jacks on the board and that only the 4.4mm jack is straight solder to the board…. Well I am sorry but thats A HUGE BUMMER! Cause ribon affects sound quality and is a big downgrade in my opinion.
The 4.4 sounds more direct and dynamic and powerful in comparison to the more melow and lofy 3.5 and 2.5 ones.

The amp13 also have ribon tape but only on the nutube section, the jacks are soldered, it don’t seems to affect the quality as much but I bet if there was no ribons it be more engaging.

Well me I am against ribons, so when I saw it I was kinda shocked 🙁😕🥺
The ribbon cables is only connecting toward 3.5mm on stock Amp11

The 2.5 and 4.4 are both directly on bird soldered :wink:

Jun 25, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #3,355 of 10,359

So it can be assumed that the difference some heard from 2.5 to 4.4 is the greater contact area and better plug for the 4.4. :^)

Jun 25, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #3,356 of 10,359
Just noticed something odd and it may be a fluke but it doesn't seem like the analog battery is charging while listening to music in android (didn't test MangoOS). I was listening to music, had it plugged in and noticed that the analog battery was at 35 percent and digital was at 85 percent. Once I turned it off it started charging both with zero issues. Has anyone else experienced this?

Jun 25, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #3,357 of 10,359

Huhhh really, I didn’t do a close up look as it seems to be 3.5 and 2.5 together on that little pcb board and since I saw the ribbon I assumed it was both there attached via the ribbon.

In this case 2.5 and 4.4 should be the two direct sound !

4.4 is the way to go!

Jun 25, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #3,358 of 10,359
Avoiding some of the noise with the firmware discussions and just listening to Archie Shepp and Jason Morgan's absolutely beautiful "Let My People Go" download from iTunes on the LCD5. The tone, reverb decay, tone and pure emotion is just stunning. I have an amp 13 card inbound but it comes in a day before a music fest so thoughts on that until mid July. Right now I have the card that came with the unit playing but also love the amp 12

Jun 25, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #3,359 of 10,359

Big thanks to my friends biggest headphones collection! @dleblanc343 You rock man!
Which amp card are you using to push these? I have a set of these coming (600 Ohms), and am not sure if any of the amp cards will push them correctly, let alone the Amp13 card. I have been told that they sound fine out of an inline USB-C DAC, but fine is subjective. My HD700 (150) sounded "fine" from a phone too (not really to my ears).... :)

Jun 25, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #3,360 of 10,359
Which amp card are you using to push these? I have a set of these coming (600 Ohms), and am not sure if any of the amp cards will push them correctly, let alone the Amp13 card. I have been told that they sound fine out of an inline USB-C DAC, but fine is subjective. My HD700 (150) sounded "fine" from a phone too (not really to my ears).... :)

All of my hearing tests where done with amp 13 in the right side jack ( its the one that has the cleanest and highest output and is more like a hybrid ss sound )

It drove the hd820 with ease! Volume was at 45/63 highest gain and D1.

It also drove the zmf special edition which I consider hard to drive with no problems at all from the amp 13 too!

Of course you can get maximum output power from stock amp in balanced but to my ears the amp 13 has enormous output power and no slush at all! I like that output on amp13 is one of my favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back