DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 23, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #3,271 of 10,351
Me either. I mean over time there would be restarts and I would assume I would think, wow, after a week this seems to sound better but to do it all at once is more definitive. I wish I understood the mechanism but this is software and digital stuff and I have no idea what is happening but for me, it is happening and in a good way. Now back to my headphones. :^) Listening to some Eva Cassidy. A songbird that had too short a life.
Nice! What headgear are you using today?

Jun 23, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #3,272 of 10,351
Nice! What headgear are you using today?
Right now I am back to using the LO with the A-10 amp (bronze plate Tungsol 5687 and Yugo smooth plate 12AX7), my own ultra pure silver ICs with balanced 4.4 out to the balanced input) to the Orpheus HE90.

Listening to Peter Green, Blue for Dhyana.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #3,273 of 10,351
Right now I am back to using the LO with the A-10 amp (bronze plate Tungsol 5687 and Yugo smooth plate 12AX7), my own ultra pure silver ICs with balanced 4.4 out to the balanced input) to the Orpheus HE90.

Listening to Peter Green, Blue for Dhyana.
Do they have a number plate on them? If so, which of 300 are yours?

BTW! When those were new they cost only a few $K short of my Harley... That is crazy! Did you get them back when they first came out or did you get them later?

Jun 23, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #3,274 of 10,351
Do they have a number plate on them? If so, which of 300 are yours?

BTW! When those were new they cost only a few $K short of my Harley... That is crazy! Did you get them back when they first came out or did you get them later?
I got them later, recently. These were the last batch. The last 25 made in 2005, so the newest. Replaced the earpads and headband with NOS. They are like new and from what I found out, barely used. With Peter Green, a different insane world of sound. They are 00318, I think (I have it written down somewhere), but the number is hard to find, it is under the headband and I would not have known that if I had not taken off the old one to put on the new one. I have read of bass light, but that was only with the HEV90 amp that they came with. With a good electrostatic amp, at the 500 volts bias, excellent bass and so transparent, it really tells you what the source is or isn't doing and any frequency anomalies.

Now Peter Green, Soho Session from CD2. Wow, so good!

Attachments

• IMG_1508.jpeg
    IMG_1508.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 23, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #3,275 of 10,351
I got them later, recently. These were the last batch. The last 25 made in 2005, so the newest. Replaced the earpads and headband with NOS. They are like new and from what I found out, barely used. With Peter Green, a different insane world of sound. They are 00318, I think (I have it written down somewhere), but the number is hard to find, it is under the headband and I would not have known that if I had not take off the old one to put on the new one. I have read of bass light, but that was only with the HEV90 that they came with. With a good electrostatic, at the 500 volts bias, excellent bass.
Great story! Thanks for sharing. :)

Jun 23, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #3,276 of 10,351
Thanks for your feedback, I'm afraid that this issue with wifi can't be solved by a software update... I'm waiting my AMP13 but it's not a deal braker for me, most of listening is from local files.

If you are listening to local files, then you won't have any issues. I don't have much local lossless music though so I'm sort of screwed when it comes to the noise, but again, the AMP13 sounds so good I'm putting up with it.

To eliminate the noise they will definitely need to update the hardware design, there's no way to fix it in firmware without doing some sort of sound processing, and iBasso is going out of their way not to have excessive processing in the signal (a good thing).

Jun 23, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #3,277 of 10,351
If you are listening to local files, then you won't have any issues. I don't have much local lossless music though so I'm sort of screwed when it comes to the noise, but again, the AMP13 sounds so good I'm putting up with it.

To eliminate the noise they will definitely need to update the hardware design, there's no way to fix it in firmware without doing some sort of sound processing, and iBasso is going out of their way not to have excessive processing in the signal (a good thing).
Thanks for making me save 269usd.
Balanced connexion ❤️

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:26 PM Post #3,279 of 10,351
I use Apple Music Lossless/Hi-res almost exclusively with my DX320, and it sounds great. No issues, I just installed Google Play from APKPure, then downloaded Apple Music from the play store.

The only issue I'm having is that I just upgraded to the AMP13 and the Wifi noise is a little annoying, but it goes away after a few seconds. This is an issue with this particular amp module though, and not the player. The default amp card sounds great with no noise either, the AMP13 just sounds better (I prefer the tube sound signature in general) so I'm putting up with the noise for now. Hopefully it can be fixed in an updated amp card design, because the sound is truly stellar.
I initially found this annoying but almost every streaming service out there has an offline mode were you can download the music to your phone. For Spotify, it only has to check in every 30 days. Tidal has one, apple does also.

The main issue I noticed is there is more noise while it's being used. I noticed this when downloading the last firmware update from iBasso. I get 15MB/s but there was a lot of sound/crackling during the download, as soon as it finished the noise pretty much went away all together.

When buffering a song your going to have some initial noise but the DX320 can download songs quick unless your ISP options suck.

It gets better in time and I don't notice it anymore unless I'm blowing with Chrome or using any other Android app but that's what my phone is for. No email, messaging. Chat apps, just music on the DAP so with offline mode from Spotify and a lot of local music, it's not that big of a deal, it gets drowned out when listening to music. Even on Wifi.

With the AMP13 card in, go download a large file and you will most likely get the same results but how often are you not going to be listening to something if you have your DAP and IEM's/headphones in/on. Also, offline mode saves bandwidth if you have the storage space and you can store the music on the SD card. At least with Spotify. Just Google your service (Apple music) and offline mode. It does get better, probably 150 hours on the AMP13.

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #3,280 of 10,351
I would normally add "trust me, I'm a software engineer" but people around here only trust their ears, that's why they imagine things that aren't there.

How else would people be listening to the music? When everybody has a different hearing level and ear sensitivity, different sound preference, different ear/earcanal anatomy, uses different earphones/headphones, and so on. Nobody is going to make the final decision about the sound for you, it all comes down to your own ears which you have to trust.

And speaking of which, how are you enjoying DX320? Since you are skeptical about reviewers, why not share with others your own impressions about this DAP?

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #3,281 of 10,351
I initially found this annoying but almost every streaming service out there has an offline mode were you can download the music to your phone. For Spotify, it only has to check in every 30 days. Tidal has one, apple does also.

The main issue I noticed is there is more noise while it's being used. I noticed this when downloading the last firmware update from iBasso. I get 15MB/s but there was a lot of sound/crackling during the download, as soon as it finished the noise pretty much went away all together.

When buffering a song your going to have some initial noise but the DX320 can download songs quick unless your ISP options suck.

It gets better in time and I don't notice it anymore unless I'm blowing with Chrome or using any other Android app but that's what my phone is for. No email, messaging. Chat apps, just music on the DAP so with offline mode from Spotify and a lot of local music, it's not that big of a deal, it gets drowned out when listening to music. Even on Wifi.

With the AMP13 card in, go download a large file and you will most likely get the same results but how often are you not going to be listening to something if you have your DAP and IEM's/headphones in/on. Also, offline mode saves bandwidth if you have the storage space and you can store the music on the SD card. At least with Spotify. Just Google your service (Apple music) and offline mode. It does get better, probably 150 hours on the AMP13.
That has pretty much been my experience with the Amp13 card and WiFi on also. It really only makes the crackling noise when it is actively downloading/uploading IME.

For me, it isn't really that big of a deal. But then again, I don't listen while streaming that often (mostly when looking for new music or if I don't have a song in my library that I want to hear), because my library is fairly big (25.4K songs).

Jun 24, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #3,283 of 10,351
Yeah, OK, people on this boards have very strong and fixed opinions. Except when they like a player then they never liked it. Or when the new firmware is worse then it's better.

Regarding the SOC, you are confusing the word size with data structures size. The SOC might be working on 64 bits but it will handle data on 8, 16, 32, 64 and even larger. Or bitstream.

I would normally add "trust me, I'm a software engineer" but people around here only trust their ears, that's why they imagine things that aren't there.
Accept the fact that Headfi is like Hogwarts. Witchcraft and wizardry have no boundaries. Move along, good sir. You're deemed too rational for this thread.

Jun 24, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #3,285 of 10,351

Users who are viewing this thread

Back