DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 23, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #3,211 of 10,348
No, I have used a sharp roll-off filter on DX320 also - and I won’t mind having something like “Ultra-sharp roll-off minimum phase hybrid” filter.

I’ve listened to DX320 several hours yesterday comparing it to other DAPs.
As for now I’ve still put SP2K with its great timber, bass, dynamic range and M17 with its great dynamics and micro details above DX320.

My main complaints to the sound of DX320 with amp 11MkIIs are the following:
1. The bass is too soft and not tight enough - you are just not hit that hard and loud when the track demand having hard edges transition part compared to other DAPs. That removes some sort of fun and culmination in all bass-related transients
2. Notes are still somewhat thick that removes some clarity and makes sound a little bit dark
3. Lower highs are a bit too laid back and muted while upper highs are too forward - that’s create some artificial disconnection feeling

We’ll be doing full cycle of burn-in and listen to AMP13 once it arrives.

All this honestly sounds foreign to me, it feels like you are describing a very different DAP vs the one I have on hand. I am not a fan of the updated firmware but the words dark, soft bass and muted upper highs doesn’t align with what I am experiencing via several different headphones.

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #3,212 of 10,348
@RIGATIO I have to disagree with you for the first time in this thread. The updated firmware has removed the ROHM chip and replaced it with an ESS chip. This is a very strong V shaped signature with sucked out midrange and vocals. I have to say it has fixed the one weakness I detected, in that the original tuning lacked the crispness, air and space between instruments in the treble region that I like with ESS chips. That isn’t an issue anymore but overall I prefer the more balanced tuning of the original firmware. Soundstage has also taken a backward step.

My gut tells me the midrange was pulled back as tubes tend to be strong in this region. I would prefer to see a separate filter/tuning option for AMP13 vs compromises for the solid state option.

I don't hear any AKM dna in this new tuning and it is now a very different DAP compared to what I desired in the initial purchase decision.
Unfortunately I have to agree with you. When the DX 320 came out it was such an immersive sound with amp 11 MKIIs anyway. I immediately had the feeling I was hearing a mixture of AKM and ESS. To me it sounded fantastic. After the updates, the captivating sound is no longer available. The magic is gone. At least for me. I will keep the current firmware for now to test the amp13. When my amp 12 EXNP is finished I will probably go back to the original software. Everything I've read about amp 13 isn't exactly the best thing at the moment. There will definitely be some updates coming. I hope that the sound signature from the first software has priority in the next updates.

Jun 23, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #3,214 of 10,348
@RIGATIO I have to disagree with you for the first time in this thread. The updated firmware has removed the ROHM chip and replaced it with an ESS chip. This is a very strong V shaped signature with sucked out midrange and vocals. I have to say it has fixed the one weakness I detected, in that the original tuning lacked the crispness, air and space between instruments in the treble region that I like with ESS chips. That isn’t an issue anymore but overall I prefer the more balanced tuning of the original firmware. Soundstage has also taken a backward step.

My gut tells me the midrange was pulled back as tubes tend to be strong in this region. I would prefer to see a separate filter/tuning option for AMP13 vs compromises for the solid state option.

I don't hear any AKM dna in this new tuning and it is now a very different DAP compared to what I desired in the initial purchase decision.
I agree about the soundstage as it shrinked a bit with the stock amp (not the case with the amp13 tho).
When it comes to the rest, well i agree and disagree at the same time:) I find the lastest update best sounding with the stock amp but surely not perfect.
Tried it today once more and for my ears, the tonal balance is worse than on the 5 years old Pioneer xdp-300r. The details, dynamics, microcontrasts are way better on the dx320 but its not as even as the Pioneer. Its close to perfection but it isnt there yet and im affraid that iBasso cant achieve that level of tuning with their solid states.
The case is saved in my case by amp13, which makes the tuning balance way better than the Pioneer, combined with a very organic timbre and bigger staging.
But i think there is some problem with solid state amps, iBasso just cant achieve that specific perfection. Thats why im using only amp13 which gives me a real satisfaction and engagement.
I honestly have a problem with understanding what is going on with these updates and sound changes. And whats even worse, none of them was perfect.
So for me- amp13 a big YES, its sounds fantastic.
Solid states? NO for now.

Jun 23, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #3,216 of 10,348
I agree about the soundstage as it shrinked a bit with the stock amp (not the case with the amp13 tho).
When it comes to the rest, well i agree and disagree at the same time:) I find the lastest update best sounding with the stock amp but surely not perfect.
Tried it today once more and for my ears, the tonal balance is worse than on the 5 years old Pioneer xdp-300r. The details, dynamics, microcontrasts are way better on the dx320 but its not as even as the Pioneer. Its close to perfection but it isnt there yet and im affraid that iBasso cant achieve that level of tuning with their solid states.
The case is saved in my case by amp13, which makes the tuning balance way better than the Pioneer, combined with a very organic timbre and bigger staging.
But i think there is some problem with solid state amps, iBasso just cant achieve that specific perfection. Thats why im using only amp13 which gives me a real satisfaction and engagement.
I honestly have a problem with understanding what is going on with these updates and sound changes. And whats even worse, none of them was perfect.
I generally agree with you. My amp 13 is on the way from iBasso, it always takes so long here with customs and transport. So I can't say anything about amp 13 yet. But at the moment I don't like the sound with 11.2s that much anymore. To my ears it sounded best with the first firmware. Of course it's just my opinion.

Jun 23, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #3,217 of 10,348
As for me out of the box, the stock amp is not fantastic (using new firmware) compare to my Cayin n6 +E02 , or WM1A. But this is not the case with Amp 13.
Hopefully next firmware update fix it.
I agree with them. I don't like it the way it is at the moment. Go back to the original software with the 660 tool. For me and my ears, the 11.2s was still the best option.

Jun 23, 2022 at 4:02 AM Post #3,218 of 10,348
All this honestly sounds foreign to me, it feels like you are describing a very different DAP vs the one I have on hand. I am not a fan of the updated firmware but the words dark, soft bass and muted upper highs doesn’t align with what I am experiencing via several different headphones.
Which headphones/iems are you using to listen to DX320 and to which other DAPs are you comparing the sound?

Jun 23, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #3,219 of 10,348
So, I bought DX320 today with 11MKIIs amp.
Before installing latest firmware battery was draining really fast even when I was just idly starring into the screen without listening to music - and update really fixed it 🙂

Of course it is not burned in but first impressions are the following:
1. It’s a clear update on the DX300 - no more compressed cymbals or overly soft notes (with sharp roll-off filter)
2. Comparing to SP2K timbre is significantly different, while also being analog and sweet sounding. Seem to have less sub-bass bump and more mid-bass. Overall bass seem to be a bit less controlled. SP2K sounds more clear but a tad less engaging (due to mid bass and more forward highs on DX320).
What’s interesting - DX320 seem to be noticeably more layered one, sometimes causing effects of even being overdetailed and artificial due to it.
ROHM mids and vocals are _very_ pleasant ones.
Looking forward to how DX320 would evolve during burn-in.
How's Noire and Rognir on the DX320?

Jun 23, 2022 at 4:25 AM Post #3,220 of 10,348
Your impression was how I felt when listening to Cayin N3Pro.

Jun 23, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #3,224 of 10,348
Rigatio can you explain to me the biggest difference in sound between amp11mkii vs stock amp12 ??

As i am a balanced believer i won't buy amp13 until it's balanced.
Amp 12 Original has a bit more bass punch and extended highs. Midrange is taken back a little bit. And yes it has better performance. I only heard my amp12 briefly and it was right out of the box. Don't burn it until he's back from NP Audio.

Now to Amp 13. I didn't want to buy it either because it's only SE. But I ordered it because I'm curious about the sound. But I don't think it will be available as a balanced one. 4 tubes would have to be installed for this and I think there is no space on the board for that. If it were possible iBasso would certainly have done it with the amp13. So I wouldn't wait for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back