DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 17, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #2,911 of 10,346
And now imagine that everything youre hearing now takes another level higher with the amp13:) Im not exaggerating.
@RIGATIO see what you've done? you costed me 269$ + 3 day international shipping :wink:

Jun 17, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #2,915 of 10,346
Since a few people brought it up already, here is my 2c about DX320, AMP13, and EMI/RF interference. When dealing with a modular design, you have a very limited room to play with, trying to fit a single NuTube on a small board, which, btw, the reason why output is SE since you need two modules for a balanced signal path. DX240 can’t even support that, and it was a challenge to stuff AMP9 in those chassis, thus it never happened. But here with DX320 you have just enough room for a single module, amplifier circuit, and two headphone jacks.

When integrating NuTubes in a non-modular design, you have more room to play with, to build the DAP around NuTubes in order to have a better isolation and shielding and to have some kind of a suspension for shock absorption. I’m referring to N8ii where you have bigger chassis with a separate isolated compartment like a Faraday Cage, keeping tube modules away from the rest of the ckt, suspended in a separate shockproof enclosure. With DX320, we have a slim modular design with a limited room on a module board and a small pocket of space where the module goes in.

With wifi off, I found no issues related to EMI/RF. When wifi is on and I’m streaming, I do hear intermittent mild crackling. With the type of music I’m listening to, this crackling gets drowned in sound, but in some songs with quieter passages, I can hear it. It is exactly the same as I hear with SP2000T in NuTube or SS/NuTube hybrid modes, and that DAP is not even modular. I’m not making excuses for iBasso, just being realistic. DX320 was not designed around NuTubes, it was designed with a capability of a modular expansion with NuTube being one of the optional modules.

Now, regarding the sound of AMP13, it actually exceeded my expectations. Personally, I was never a big fan of AMP9 because I use a lot of IEMs, with some being quite sensitive, and the noise floor of AMP9 was too much for those. Here, I’m VERY surprised to hear a low noise floor and almost pitch-black background on BOTH of the outputs and even while testing sensitive IEMs like Andromeda. I went through Andro, Phoenix, Traillii, Jewel, and of course IT07, trying both 3.5mm outputs in high gain, and there is NO hissing. You do hear a bit of a tube ringing every time you insert iems and start playing, but that ringing fades away after a few seconds. And when streaming, I do get some intermittent crackling, and unfortunately that doesn’t go away. Maybe someone will come up with a clever shielding cover that will fit over the NuTube module.

I guess it is part of a compromise because a modular design has its limitations. But IMHO, the sound quality of AMP13 outweighs these cons. AMP13 brings out a natural liquid tonality infused with a hi-res technical performance of ROHM DACs. This organic hi-res sound performance and a big holographic soundstage is so addictive, I don’t even mind using 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter (using DDHifi DJ44C) since most of my cables are 4.4mm terminated. And for me personally, I stream a lot of Amazon Music HD and Tidal, mostly EDM and Top40, so intermittent EMI crackling is not an issue, but I can see how it could be for some playing classical or instrumental music, unless you download it for off-line listening and can turn the wifi off. For a local playback with wireless radio off, it is not an issue.
This is now pretty much my experience. After minimal burn in the buzzing noise when unplugging and plugging back in dropped from roughly 30 seconds (high buzzing that slowly fades) is now around maybe 5 seconds.

When Wifi is being used (not just on) you get more crackling noises. I use Spotify and have downloaded most my stuff so I either have to turn Wifi on to phone home/check in with Spotify but after that I can turn Wifi off. I downloaded 600 songs and it was by far the most crackling noise I've heard but Wifi was being used the whole time so it a tually being in use seems to affect it more then just having it on so more noise at the beginning makes sense since it's downloading/buffering and when it's done it is greatly reduced unless you start using Chrome or anything else in Android that uses WiFi

Based on my brief testing there seems to be zero negative effects with just the Bluetooth radio on. It's the Wifi. I have a feeling there was just no way to completely shield the AMP13 card from WiFi RF signals although that is speculation on my end. I would be interested to see what would happen if you put some extra RF shielding around the ribbon cable but I'm certainly not going to attempt it.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #2,916 of 10,346
Don't think it's the same, optimizing or limiting vs loading a clean OS without wifi/bt and other junk.
This will actually probably preserve some digital battery but with AMP13 I'm getting the same battery drain on both with the analog battery sometimes draining faster.

Android battery usage depend on the number I do apps installed and permissions. With the new "only use while using the app" settings in 11, one would think it would drain less battery but if it's running in the background it still has permissions because it's open. Limiting the number of apps that can run in the background reduces this battery drain but probably only slightly.

The main thing that is going to drain battery regardless if you're in Android or MangoOS is screen time. It's almost always the number one reason for battery drain. I'm pretty sure the DX320 doesn't have a GPS chip so location is determined by Wifi. I pretty much stick to allow while app is open for most permissions and limit background apps to 2.

While MangoOS is more battery efficient, if you use a lot of screen time then it starts to drain the digital battery pretty fast as well. If you want to know the max listening time then MangoOS with just shiffling your music and not turning on the screen would give you the longest possible listening time. Obviously zero screen time is hard to do. You are going to want to change albums or songs at some point. That and gain probably is a factor on the analog battery, especially for AMP13.

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #2,917 of 10,346
Is losing balanced output worth going AMP13?

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #2,918 of 10,346
It is a matter of opinion, of course but yes, for me, the sound is so good, I don't miss balanced at all. And more power that I thought it would have.

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #2,919 of 10,346
Yeah, I am wondering the same, plus EFI and way less power🙄
My DX312 is perfect for headphones, as power is getting most out of them but can tell when I connected M17 on full 3W, there is instant feeling on everything going bigger, LCD2 Closed Back 2021 with Black Dragon 4.4mm cable is having definite benefit. For Campfire Cascade either is doing good.

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #2,920 of 10,346
You lose 1/2 (or so?) of power in comparison to the stock amp. So if you have very demanding planars it will be too weak. My sundaras are powered very nicely but im reaching 90% of scale from more powerful output and high gain.
If you dont need as much power, its worth it. I didnt even switched back to other amps, even to make comparison, its that good.
Its an improvement in every regard. It sounds like it was meant for the 320.

Jun 17, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #2,921 of 10,346
Where a Hugo2 is perhaps 20% better than DX320, SP2000cu is perhaps 10-12% & then DX320 being about 5% better than DX300
No...
Not without dx320 burn in of amp boards, and without an EX mod board or even newer amp13.
IMO hugo2 will be repulsive to your ears, in comparison.

Cant comment on the Hugo2 as i havent heard it.
Yeah I have and I doubt anyone would prefer it's cold aggressive forward sound, compared to the organic sound of this dx320.

Hugo has unnatural & sparkling timbre with good soundstage & PRAT.
Think of Hugo2 as an aggressive Lesabre on steroids.
Too bad it's unnatural, yet with some tube synergy can help.

I just did a factory reset after upgrading the firmware. Then I tried to open the APK Pure to download the Play store.
However, keep on seeing the "Network Connect.Error", so I am stuck with the Mango player.
Used my DX240 to open the APK Pure, and saw the same.error message too.
Is there some bugs going on for the APK Pure pls? How should I proceed from here pls?
Goto app settings in android, and then goto APK app, and then goto its storage. Delete all storage/cache
Retry app, should work.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #2,922 of 10,346
I still find it odd that I get different output levels (volume wise) on the middle jack on the AMP13 depending on the cable. I just did some back and fourths and it's just odd. First, this only applied to my Monarch MKII's using the stock cable, which @RIGATIO is using and notices no volume issues. Initially I was not getting the volume output desired so I switched to my Meze Advar's. Instantly more volume although they are easier to drive then the Monarch's. What is odd is if I use the FiiO Modular MMCX cable that I use with the Advars's and use a MMCX to 2 pin adapter, the output is much louder on the Monarch's by swapping cables and using an adapter. This is not placebo effect either. I also tried the Monarch's on the stock 2 pin cable that came with my Moondrop KATO's, same issue, KATO's are loud, Monarch are not, no adapter in the mix.

Now, the really odd part, I got this cable surprisingly fast from linsoul today. I just plugged it in and the volume is louder, same as the FiiO cable with adapter. Not sure why. If anything, the sound signature should change at most when switching cables, not actual volume output. Just really odd. Regardless, the initial volume issues I had with the Monarch are gone if I use the right cable, which I initially though was the AMP13 but it wasn't and the one I ordered is pretty much the same design as the stock cable, just better materials.

The modular part is slightly different. It just has better indicators on the right way to plug it in and is way more comfortable, granted the modular jacks only go in one way with the stock cable so there is no way to insert them incorrectly. I just haven't seen this before and I had zero volume issues using the stock cards AMP with the Monarch's granted I was using the 4.4mm jack with PO enabled with the Monarch MKII's so it will always get louder then the AMP13.

Still, I can listen to a song at high gain at full volume with one cable, then switch, and around 50 to 55 on high gain is more then loud enough. Just really, really odd that I get different results with different cables and specifically it seems to be the Monarchs that are picky as none of my other IEM's have this issue. I have a 2 pin to MMCX adapter but right now, I am really glad I bought the cable in the link above because while those adapters are handy, I have a feeling they are not meant to be swapped out frequently. I could see the 2 pin part breaking easily after repeated swapping. Just a suggestion if anyone thinks the middle jack isn't loud enough, try another cable or set or IEM's before blaming the AMP13 card like I did initially :)

Jun 17, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #2,923 of 10,346
I still find it odd that I get different output levels (volume wise) on the middle jack on the AMP13 depending on the cable. I just did some back and fourths and it's just odd. First, this only applied to my Monarch MKII's using the stock cable, which @RIGATIO is using and notices no volume issues. Initially I was not getting the volume output desired so I switched to my Meze Advar's. Instantly more volume although they are easier to drive then the Monarch's. What is odd is if I use the FiiO Modular MMCX cable that I use with the Advars's and use a MMCX to 2 pin adapter, the output is much louder on the Monarch's by swapping cables and using an adapter. This is not placebo effect either. I also tried the Monarch's on the stock 2 pin cable that came with my Moondrop KATO's, same issue, KATO's are loud, Monarch are not, no adapter in the mix.

Now, the really odd part, I got this cable surprisingly fast from linsoul today. I just plugged it in and the volume is louder, same as the FiiO cable with adapter. Not sure why. If anything, the sound signature should change at most when switching cables, not actual volume output. Just really odd. Regardless, the initial volume issues I had with the Monarch are gone if I use the right cable, which I initially though was the AMP13 but it wasn't and the one I ordered is pretty much the same design as the stock cable, just better materials.

The modular part is slightly different. It just has better indicators on the right way to plug it in and is way more comfortable, granted the modular jacks only go in one way with the stock cable so there is no way to insert them incorrectly. I just haven't seen this before and I had zero volume issues using the stock cards AMP with the Monarch's granted I was using the 4.4mm jack with PO enabled with the Monarch MKII's so it will always get louder then the AMP13.

Still, I can listen to a song at high gain at full volume with one cable, then switch, and around 50 to 55 on high gain is more then loud enough. Just really, really odd that I get different results with different cables and specifically it seems to be the Monarchs that are picky as none of my other IEM's have this issue. I have a 2 pin to MMCX adapter but right now, I am really glad I bought the cable in the link above because while those adapters are handy, I have a feeling they are not meant to be swapped out frequently. I could see the 2 pin part breaking easily after repeated swapping. Just a suggestion if anyone thinks the middle jack isn't loud enough, try another cable or set or IEM's before blaming the AMP13 card like I did initially :)
And some still claim cables don't matter and it's snake oil
Well you discovered the opposite
I'm a firm cable believer
This one actually arrived yesterday
images (13).jpeg

Jun 17, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #2,924 of 10,346
images (13).jpeg
Personally I believe cables matter and may change signsture of a headphone (by certain degree) and also burn in of a device is required to perform on its best, no snake oil here, just my humble opinion from experience.

Jun 17, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #2,925 of 10,346
images (13).jpeg
Very nice!

As for me, I fall somewhere in the middle. I believe cables make a difference, but I don't believe a $500 cable is necessarily better than a $100 cable (if it IS a good cable). But then, I have heard some really good $30 cables, and some crappy $100 too.... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back