DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jan 19, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #8,281 of 10,346
I wish it didn't work. Bought it as well.
Good evening.Just got DX320 today..I’m going to try burn in cable but perhaps some one can clarify this? Burn in cable goes in to 2.5 socket? Also assuming i plug in to a charger (wall) and let music play.Scanned SD card did it rapidly.Just lx to it excellent sonic and wrap around sound..Thank you for any help.Ordered in EU shop Sunday arrived today.John
Congrats to both of you on your new shinies! :)

I personally never used the burn-in cable. I simply listened to it normally (it doesn't have to be all at once after all). It DID change over time (up to and including 100-200 hours or so).
hi, do you have to run in the line output on the amp14? thank you
Since it comes directly from the DAC (out of LO jack) and bypasses the amp section it is not necessary. But as @jamato8 said, it can't hurt, and there could be some benefit to it.
Jamato8
Thank you very much.You & Samandhi & Whitgir are giants in this forum! John
Thank you very much John! :)

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #8,282 of 10,346
Good evening.Just got DX320 today..I’m going to try burn in cable but perhaps some one can clarify this? Burn in cable goes in to 2.5 socket? Also assuming i plug in to a charger (wall) and let music play.Scanned SD card did it rapidly.Just lx to it excellent sonic and wrap around sound..Thank you for any help.Ordered in EU shop Sunday arrived today.John
On Amp11mk2, if I am using the 4.4mm and 3.5mm sockets, would it make sense to burn in on 2.5mm? I suppose for 4.4mm the amp circuit is exactly the same up to the 4.4mm vs 2.5mm termination point.

But for 3.5mm, does it have a separate single-ended amp circuit or does it convert the output of balanced to single-ended at the end point? If its the former, it would make sense to have to burn-in the 3.5mm and 4.4mm separately.

Jan 19, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #8,283 of 10,346
On Amp11mk2, if I am using the 4.4mm and 3.5mm sockets, would it make sense to burn in on 2.5mm? I suppose for 4.4mm the amp circuit is exactly the same up to the 4.4mm vs 2.5mm termination point.

But for 3.5mm, does it have a separate single-ended amp circuit or does it convert the output of balanced to single-ended at the end point? If its the former, it would make sense to have to burn-in the 3.5mm and 4.4mm separately.
I cannot find the diagram to verify (so I could be wrong on this one), but I believe that the 3.5mm SE is a different circuit, so it would not hurt to condition that as well.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #8,284 of 10,346
DX320X #242 reporting in! Initial impressions: Extremely impressed and no regrets vs SP3000 yet! :beyersmile:

The great:
> Low fuss unboxing experience. Very similar to other ChiFi brands with a simple cardboard box, no special wooden/leather storage box seen with A&K, Beyerdynamic or even Sony
> Frequency response tuning/tonality is neutral / natural. The sound descriptions as transparent, detailed and holographic is accurate. No "AKM velvet bass bloom" or Sony WM1ZM2 Signature tuning with extra sub-bass - just transparent reminding me of my sound impressions from Etymotic ER4S back in 2017-18. I'm already hearing new layers with my regular test tracks :D
> Volume gain is more than enough for IEMs but would keep away for hard to drive headphones. Roughly ~50/63 low gain and 35/63 high gain for Pop/Kpop and 63/63 LG and 40/63 high gain for classical for Sony IER-Z1R balanced. However, just sufficient SE power at 63/63 high gain for classical on my Beyer T1 600 ohm (time to reterminate my T1 to balanced!)
> Z1R's staging depth has improved a lot vs L&P W2 dongle likely due to much higher power output and dynamic range,. It was already quite wide on W2 so didn't notice much changes in width.
> Android 11 OS is very smooth and fluid to use - installed Spotify, Youtube and Netflix and tested with no issues - Audio issue has been fixed (vs 1 sec lag during my demo with v2.01)
> Screen is above expectations in size, refresh rates and color gamut vibrance - Youtube 4K videos look great (although downsampled to 1080p)! Comparable to current smartphones SOTA
> Weight is good in the hands - not too heavy like M17 but not as light current phone + dongle combo
> I don't know about burn-in but my unit sounds damn good out of the box! Leaving it with the burn-in cable overnight just in case

Some minor issues:
> Volume knob is not consistent during use, sometimes multiple presses needed to turn screen on/off
> My issue has a tiny bit of epoxy on the LED strip as well but not an issue for me
> Body gets quite warm during use (perhaps due to liquid metal) - but not a bother especially with leather case
> Initially Netflix didn't work on v2.03 but luckily works on v2.05
> Software updater via Settings didn't initially find v2.05 update - had to manually drop the file via SD card

Looking forward to more listening time when I get back up tomorrow!

dx320_242.JPG

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #8,285 of 10,346
If a reset did not fix it, exchange it. I had one like that, the screen would blank out or flash on and off and other screen weirdness. I sent it back, it was hardware issue something with the screen.
Thanks for the suggestion.

It seems the problem fixed itself so far. I don’t have any issues with screen blanking out or other weirdness. Just the vertical lines after the latest update. But for now, everything is good.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #8,286 of 10,346
DX320X #242 reporting in! Initial impressions: Extremely impressed and no regrets vs SP3000 yet! :beyersmile:

The great:
> Low fuss unboxing experience. Very similar to other ChiFi brands with a simple cardboard box, no special wooden/leather storage box seen with A&K, Beyerdynamic or even Sony
> Frequency response tuning/tonality is neutral / natural. The sound descriptions as transparent, detailed and holographic is accurate. No "AKM velvet bass bloom" or Sony WM1ZM2 Signature tuning with extra sub-bass - just transparent reminding me of my sound impressions from Etymotic ER4S back in 2017-18. I'm already hearing new layers with my regular test tracks :D
> Volume gain is more than enough for IEMs but would keep away for hard to drive headphones. Roughly ~50/63 low gain and 35/63 high gain for Pop/Kpop and 63/63 LG and 40/63 high gain for classical for Sony IER-Z1R balanced. However, just sufficient SE power at 63/63 high gain for classical on my Beyer T1 600 ohm (time to reterminate my T1 to balanced!)
> Z1R's staging depth has improved a lot vs L&P W2 dongle likely due to much higher power output and dynamic range,. It was already quite wide on W2 so didn't notice much changes in width.
> Android 11 OS is very smooth and fluid to use - installed Spotify, Youtube and Netflix and tested with no issues - Audio issue has been fixed (vs 1 sec lag during my demo with v2.01)
> Screen is above expectations in size, refresh rates and color gamut vibrance - Youtube 4K videos look great (although downsampled to 1080p)! Comparable to current smartphones SOTA
> Weight is good in the hands - not too heavy like M17 but not as light current phone + dongle combo
> I don't know about burn-in but my unit sounds damn good out of the box! Leaving it with the burn-in cable overnight just in case

Some minor issues:
> Volume knob is not consistent during use, sometimes multiple presses needed to turn screen on/off
> My issue has a tiny bit of epoxy on the LED strip as well but not an issue for me
> Body gets quite warm during use (perhaps due to liquid metal) - but not a bother especially with leather case
> Software updater via Settings didn't initially find v2.05 update - had to manually drop the file via SD card

dx320_242.JPG
I had a tiny bit of epoxy as well. Never noticed it until people were mentioning it on a few players. Used a piece of rag and it came right off.

I love the looks and styling of the X. Futuristic and to me, nothing looks as good on the market, not even close.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #8,287 of 10,346

The great:

Some minor issues:

dx320_242.JPG
awesome, you liked it more than the wm1zm2??

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #8,288 of 10,346
Thanks for the suggestion.

It seems the problem fixed itself so far. I don’t have any issues with screen blanking out or other weirdness. Just the vertical lines after the latest update. But for now, everything is good.

I have not updated my replacement yet. It came with 2.0.3 and its close to 2.0.1 in sound to me, so i like it as it is. I did not like 2.0.4 sound and don't know if i will update to 2.0.5. If your having screen issues from the update i may hold off for a while.

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #8,289 of 10,346

The balanced outputs and single ended output do not have their own, seperate, dedicated amplification circuits on the module. Just some components and part of the signal path would be different for SE vs. balanced outputs.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #8,290 of 10,346

Hmm im a bit unsure on the burn-in thing. Maybe break-in time is a better word to me. For me, almost all audio gear i have owned or had – a few only needed about an hour or two tops to settle the circutry. Same for headphones i had. I remember the Sony Nw-zx300 and bigger brother sounded terrible out of the box. But I let it play for about an hour on each and that was all it took. To my ears I have the same sound signature from that hour till now.

So i say enjoy the dx320 player now if you like, I find it difficult believing it needs 200ish hours/8-10 days for a digital circut player to break in.

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #8,291 of 10,346
LOL.. Mine does actually. I am a temperature controls tech. I program controllers to work with HVAC systems for building automation. Most times I am by myself in a mechanical room, or boiler/chiller room. I normally just slap the headphones/IEMs/earbuds on/in and get down to it. :)

Sounds like you are working your magic with a BMS system. Is it Metasys that you work with for automation?

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #8,292 of 10,346
Still is subjective to how you use your device and with what headphones, gain level etc. Different headphones have a difference in power draw also. If i use power hungry cans i will get less battery.

Power to the CANs isn’t the issue, it’s the digital battery that is haunting me.

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #8,294 of 10,346
It had my interest until I saw it uses an ESS DAC.
It doesn't use the ESS dac chip. It uses Dual Cirrus Logic CS43131 and it sound great.

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #8,295 of 10,346
Sounds like you are working your magic with a BMS system. Is it Metasys that you work with for automation?
Thank you! I enjoy the combination (programming with head gear on/in). I also just upgraded from an old office chair to a gaming chair because I also do a lot of programming from home until I need to be on-site to test. 😉 Both of my DX devices are fantastic for both situations, though I tend to stick to my DX300 when working from the home office.

Metasys, SCT, PMI (all things Johnson) is what I used to work with (and Tracer Summit before that). Now I work with either Struxureware or Niagara (G3 and N4), ABB (yep, they make controllers now), and Distech. Do you work with controls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back