DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jan 11, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #8,221 of 10,346
Why can't I power on my DX320?

After being powered down for a couple days (battery is 95%A, 84%D) this thing refuses to power up. A quick press of the volume knob does nothing. A 5-second press-and-hold appears to start the sequence (iBasso flashes on the screen, maybe for 2-3 seconds) but then it goes dead again. I have to repeat this 4 or times, THEN I get the animated iBasso logo and it powers up normally.

I'm booted into the Mango system.... is THAT why?

I would boot into Android and do a factory reset.

I think he may be on to something as this is the exact same problem I've had with both my 220/320, and Mango is all I ever use for playback.

What do you think, might it be Mango causing this?

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #8,222 of 10,346
Don't fall for the latest "new" AKM design, where they abandon the one chip dac solution of past, with a new iteration of separating of the "front end" with a second chip (AK4191EQ) which was already existing from before this latest 4499 chip. IMO, Nothing new to see in actual topology here. Just a different spin, with justification being some "lower noise" on the digital front end.
Meanwhile the added battery drain of needing an extra chip and also extra circuit board space is not mentioned. Sounds like it was designed more for like a desktop. Not really a portable(mobile) chip solution, or an actual evolution of design (IMO).

The "One chip" complete dac solution is more ideal for DAPs.
IMO, ROHM is still the newer design.
well, happily I got a dx320 lately, didn't arrive yet tho :) see what it's all about

Jan 11, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #8,223 of 10,346
Have you calibrated the android battery reporting software by letting it run until it shuts down, then charge it to full? While lithium batteries don't need calibration, the software in android that reports its level does sometimes. Not saying this is what is happening, but it certainly can't hurt to verify. :)

This method is actually recommended by Google about once per month (or so), in order to keep the reporting tool accurate. Having said that, I have never actually done it myself, nor have I had any battery issues (that I know of). At least not unless the battery is bad or getting there.
Yes, I've let the battery run empty until automatic shutdown, then charged it to full. I'll check if the same happens with the stock music player and in Mango OS.

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #8,224 of 10,346
Don't fall for the latest "new" AKM design, where they abandon the one chip dac solution of past, with a new iteration of separating of the "front end" with a second chip (AK4191EQ) which was already existing from before this latest 4499 chip. IMO, Nothing new to see in actual topology here. Just a different spin, with justification being some "lower noise" on the digital front end.
Meanwhile the added battery drain of needing an extra chip and also extra circuit board space is not mentioned. Sounds like it was designed more for like a desktop. Not really a portable(mobile) chip solution, or an actual evolution of design (IMO).

The "One chip" complete dac solution is more ideal for DAPs.
IMO, ROHM is still the newer design.
I think you are right, but there are manufacturers out there that have been able to implement multiple DAC chips that do not require as much energy. Take the DX300 as an example. It has 4 CL chips implemented into the system. Heck, even their mid tier offerings have dual chips nowadays (DX160/DX170). I think it can be done to great effect with the right implementation. And while in most cases you might not hear the difference, where there might be digital noise, or jitter introduced this should help in filling up that last %1 that most desire in sound perfection, or it simply lessens the gap between a full-on desktop solution and a portable device.

I think that the technology in DAPs is getting much closer to, and even surpassing some desktop solutions but in a portable device (IMO). I'm not saying that they are replacing a great desktop solution, of course, but to have everything that you can get nowadays in a portable (not transportable) is really fantastic!

Jan 11, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #8,225 of 10,346
I understand about the battery. But there are a few things to get a little more out of it. Most people get android devices and never optimize it or turn down the screen brightness some. Next are the background processes. It's android so there are a lot of crap running in the background draining battery "especially the google play stuff".

I go to settings / apps & notifications. Click the see all apps link in blue. Turn off or disable the ones you don't need in the mobile data&wifi area of each app. Then uncheck the background data to off of each app. Then in the Battery selection click the background restriction to limit it.

Then Settings privacy then permission manager and revolk a lot of permission access. Then Turn off any location in settings.

Its a pain in the .... but i get almost 2 days battery. I leave work after listening 6-8 hrs with 59% left at the end of the day.
But I always disable stuff and remove things i don't need. It's a music player first anything else i need can be on my mobile device.
Btw - what kind of job makes it possible to leave work after 6-8 hours listening to your 320? I envy you :wink:

Jan 11, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #8,226 of 10,346
Btw - what kind of job makes it possible to leave work after 6-8 hours listening to your 320? I envy you :wink:
LOL.. Mine does actually. I am a temperature controls tech. I program controllers to work with HVAC systems for building automation. Most times I am by myself in a mechanical room, or boiler/chiller room. I normally just slap the headphones/IEMs/earbuds on/in and get down to it. :)

Jan 11, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #8,227 of 10,346
I have deleted every non music app besides play store and activated every known battery saver feature but still get excessive battery drain. Some behaviour adjustment is needed for living with the DX320. I have started reusing my iPhone + amp combo again to give myself a mental break from battery peeping and screen response fatigue.

Still is subjective to how you use your device and with what headphones, gain level etc. Different headphones have a difference in power draw also. If i use power hungry cans i will get less battery.

Jan 11, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #8,228 of 10,346
I have deleted every non music app besides play store and activated every known battery saver feature but still get excessive battery drain. Some behaviour adjustment is needed for living with the DX320. I have started reusing my iPhone + amp combo again to give myself a mental break from battery peeping and screen response fatigue.
are you streaming? if not why not use mango OS?

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #8,229 of 10,346
I would have the wifi and BT off. But I get very decent play time so I wonder what other issue there might be. You are on the latest firmware and have done a factory reset?

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #8,231 of 10,346
anyone here got noticable SQ difference between flac and wav?

from what I knew, Quality of wav = flac-uncompressed and better than flac-compressed.

It depends on when you ripped CD, you chose it compressed or uncompressed.

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #8,232 of 10,346
from what I knew, Quality of wav = flac-uncompressed and better than flac-compressed.

It depends on when you ripped CD, you chose it compressed or uncompressed.
I think you are right here. While both are lossless (meaning you will NOT lose any data, compressed or uncompressed), depending on the age of your FLAC file, the algorithms have improved over the years. We also are assuming that the FLAC and WAV files are from the same source file?!

Also, you might be hearing quantization errors, or other distortions that known be introduced any time you change formats (especially when compressing). Though quantization errors are usually only introduced when you convert down in quality (e.g. 24/128 to 16/44).

You could experiment if you are using Neutron as your player. Try turning Dither on and Noise Shaping on also, then compare again. Then try oversampling (which also has a sort of Dither algorithm attached to it), but make sure you turn off Dither before doing this. You could also try using PCM to DSD (leaving oversampling on) and see if you still hear a difference.

As for my old ears, I don't think my hearing is good enough to be able to discern between a FLAC and WAV (from the same source). I CAN hear the difference in most cases (depending on the production value of the source file) between Redbook and much higher quality though.

Just my thoughts though. :)

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #8,233 of 10,346
I cant hear a difference between a wav or flac (at any level of compression), at least when the music is ripped from one of my CD's and then converted.
My understanding is that all FLAC files are compressed. It's called lossless compression because no data is lost as the files are fully decompressed on the fly during playback. The difference in FLAC compression levels between 0 - 8 comes down to files size and storage space. 8 being the most compressed (smallest file size) and 0 being the least compressed. The difference in decompression is that it would take a little more processing power to decompress the smaller file sizes that result from higher levels of compression. I would think that if there were any audible differences, they probably would result from how the players processor handles the decompression on the fly. But again, I've never been able to hear a difference. Also, I'm very far from an expert on this stuff.

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #8,234 of 10,346
I personally cant hear any difference between flac and wav but can hear a difference between the flac and dsd or flac and mp3.
For me a perfect scenario is to have everything in dsd because of the liquidity and analogue feel of the dsd files. They lack dynamics sometimes but i can swallow it in favor of a better timbre.

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #8,235 of 10,346
I've found that my very old rips from CD to FLAC don't sound as good as recent, I've been curious as to why - when I say old, these go back at least 10 years - it may well have been the software I used at the time. Also, I haven't used WAV for a long time, but I used to at least think they sounded a bit too bright or something compared to FLAC - again, this is probably 10 years ago or maybe even more. I remember my format of choice once upon a time was OGG VORBIS, that's probably nearly 20 years ago now, with the good old Rio Karma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back