DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Nov 18, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #7,216 of 10,347
Also, other stuff that should be working from the beginning has also not been fixed yet (though they aren't/haven't been deal breakers for me). For instance, reverse BT. It has never worked properly. Anything that requires a code to be entered (or at least acknowledged) will not work when trying to pair (e.g. PC, Smart TV, etc...). It works (for me) only with an android phone, which is rather pointless IMO.... :wink:

This is one feature that has surprised me from iBasso (they are normally all over issues that are SUPPOSED to work), because I have a $100 Shanling M0 that does this flawlessly with all my BT devices I might want to use in this manner. But I digress, as I am not complaining, just throwing that out there as another example of "unfixed issues".
When you know your sound quality is good all sorts of liberties can be taken :relaxed:.

Nov 18, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #7,217 of 10,347
When you know your sound quality is good all sorts of liberties can be taken :relaxed:.
Some but not all. I dropped AK because they refuse to add a filter by Album Artist. If I can't have a usability that works for me, I don't care how good the sound is. The double tap on DX320 is just a minor annoyance for me since I don't use the screen very much anyway.

Nov 18, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #7,218 of 10,347
Some but not all. I dropped AK because they refuse to add a filter by Album Artist. If I can't have a usability that works for me, I don't care how good the sound is. The double tap on DX320 is just a minor annoyance for me since I don't use the screen very much anyway.

Can’t fault anyone for being annoyed with gremlins. Digital Battery life and tap to wake is my annoyance.

Nov 18, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #7,219 of 10,347
Can’t fault anyone for being annoyed with gremlins. Digital Battery life and tap to wake is my annoyance.
I just got my first Dx320 and I'm very disappointed with the issues with the device. ,and lack of fixes, I believe this is my last.

Nov 18, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #7,220 of 10,347
I just got my first Dx320 and I'm very disappointed with the issues with the device. ,and lack of fixes, I believe this is my last.
Is the firmware up to date? I use one every day no issues to speak of. I use it for line out and also directly out for all types of music.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #7,221 of 10,347
I don't get all the hate, I'm enjoying my DX320 with zero annoyances, absolutely love my portable rig.

The double tap feature is too sensetive to be in your pocket, I prefer the pushing down the silver knob anyways.

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #7,222 of 10,347
I don't get all the hate, I'm enjoying my DX320 with zero annoyances, absolutely love my portable rig.

The double tap feature is too sensetive to be in your pocket, I prefer the pushing down the silver knob anyways.
There is a learning curve to pretty much everything. I accept that take a little bit of time and go with the flow.

Nov 19, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #7,223 of 10,347

Oh I don't think there is "hate" (at least from my end). For me, I was just throwing out there the issues that I have noticed from the beginning. If they were remotely deal breaking, I would never have kept it to begin with, let alone all this time.

I really love my DX and still think it is the best DAP money can buy (price/performance). There are going to be foibles with every DAP IMO; of which the DX300/DX320 have the least of them that I have seen.

Having said that, if they are not voiced, one can never expect to see them fixed. Though (at least) the two that I mentioned will most likely never be fixed IMO anyhow. :)

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #7,224 of 10,347
Oh I don't think there is "hate" (at least from my end). For me, I was just throwing out there the issues that I have noticed from the beginning. If they were remotely deal breaking, I would never have kept it to begin with, let alone all this time.

I really love my DX and still think it is the best DAP money can buy (price/performance). There are going to be foibles with every DAP IMO; of which the DX300/DX320 have the least of them that I have seen.

Having said that, if they are not voiced, one can never expect to see them fixed. Though (at least) the two that I mentioned will most likely never be fixed IMO anyhow. :)
Is the consensus you get 95% performance for under $2000 vs the competition at 3000-4000… or is it less?

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #7,226 of 10,347
Imho you get 90-92% of a TOTL for around 1000 bucks these days
I was thinking of getting the 320 + 13 amp vs the other flagships that’s 3000++ if it gets me 95% I just want something that’s has tube/character/soul

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #7,227 of 10,347
I was thinking of getting the 320 + 13 amp vs the other flagships that’s 3000++ if it gets me 95% I just want something that’s has tube/character/soul
If you want tube sound then going for the dx323 is rational move. Great tubey sound, especially from the lower power output jack.

Nov 19, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #7,228 of 10,347
Is the consensus you get 95% performance for under $2000 vs the competition at 3000-4000… or is it less?
I would not look at it as a % when comparing to other TOTL DAPs. IMO you get 100% of what is capable given the current tech. It is only different in its output power, and overall tuning/sound (basically). Some of the technicalities are better or worse than other DAPs, but only in a pretty subtle way (e.g. SNR 125dB which most people don't realize this is better than some large desktop systems). So, I would submit that when describing any of the TOTL DAPs, I would only say different. All of them are truly amazing, and your choice would depend on what type of sound you want, combined with the bells and whistles that may differ between the devices (size, speed, RAM, storage, etc...).

For instance, some like the DX better than A&K, or Cayin, etc... @RIGATIO likes the M8 better due to its musicality, because that is the sound, he wants all/most of the time. I prefer the DX300 because I want analytical/neutral most of the time. As @ RIGATIO says, at that point you would use head gear to make it sound to your desire. And IF this is true, then the goal would be to get as neutral a source as you can so that you can have more options to "tune" using different head gear (this is just my thought on the matter).

The other unique option you get with the DX300/DX320 is the ability to change out the amp card, which will not only give it different sounds, but also different technicalities. The suggestion to use the Amp13 card with the DX is a fantastic one IMO (if you are looking for "tubey" sound in a portable). Though there are other options, this is the best one IMHO (and probably cheapest for a truly portable).

Keep in mind these are my own thoughts, and many might/will disagree with me.

Nov 19, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #7,229 of 10,347
No DAP is perfect. I've gone over this so many times, people need to understand the finances required to release a DAP that's on-par with today's smartphones!!! Even to just release a flawless DAP, you need veteran experts from the field — very, very, very expensive. Consumers rarely think about what's going on behind the scenes, but people, please understand, money doesn't fall from the sky.

Just based on the market research that I've done, iBasso firmly stands as one of the best DAP manufacturers on the market, and I'd go as far as calling it the best bang for your buck DAP manufacturer, especially with the DX3xx series.

The switchable amp module design by itself is a feature that's a very strong selling point, but yet doesn't have anything to do with the price, that is, its value exceeds the price of the players. If you want, you can mod amp modules for iBasso players and take the performance to a whole different league. Not level, league.

Taking all this into consideration, I am not justifying any flaws or things that don't satisfy people, but in that case, there are many different player from different manufacturers. If you think their offer is better, go for it. But, as far as the iBasso users go, they are among the most satisfied I have seen. You see how loyal they are and how active the threads are.

Before jumping into the DAP market, be aware that it's a very new market that, imo, doesn't have enough financing to take it to the same level of smartphones... though this gap is closing more, and more.

Nov 19, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #7,230 of 10,347
No DAP is perfect. I've gone over this so many times, people need to understand the finances required to release a DAP that's on-par with today's smartphones!!! Even to just release a flawless DAP, you need veteran experts from the field — very, very, very expensive. Consumers rarely think about what's going on behind the scenes, but people, please understand, money doesn't fall from the sky.

Just based on the market research that I've done, iBasso firmly stands as one of the best DAP manufacturers on the market, and I'd go as far as calling it the best bang for your buck DAP manufacturer, especially with the DX3xx series.

The switchable amp module design by itself is a feature that's a very strong selling point, but yet doesn't have anything to do with the price, that is, its value exceeds the price of the players. If you want, you can mod amp modules for iBasso players and take the performance to a whole different league. Not level, league.

Taking all this into consideration, I am not justifying any flaws or things that don't satisfy people, but in that case, there are many different player from different manufacturers. If you think their offer is better, go for it. But, as far as the iBasso users go, they are among the most satisfied I have seen. You see how loyal they are and how active the threads are.

Before jumping into the DAP market, be aware that it's a very new market that, imo, doesn't have enough financing to take it to the same level of smartphones... though this gap is closing more, and more.
No I am just trying to look at value/performance as I could technically get a Bentley, but a Mercedes is a far better value… and paying 3000-4000 for that extra 5% is really what I am trying to narrow down

Users who are viewing this thread

Back