DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Nov 10, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #7,156 of 10,347
Can someone enlighten if op-amp swapping to 4x ADA4625-1 for AMP12EXN-S is worth it?

And I'm not sure if I recall correctly, but did Whitigir say he used Burson V6 on his new mod, or did I read it wrong cause that thing is huge right?

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #7,157 of 10,347
Anyone else having trouble getting MangoOS to recognise MQA tracks/albums? The android system's Mango Player works fine for me in detecting MQA tracks but in MangoOS, my MQA tracks are recognized as flac files.
hello zanril,
i have noticed that, too, today, when i used my DX320 as the output for audirvana. audirvana automatically detects devices that handle MQA. in my case, tried it with my ifi xDSD, and i could obviously see the 16/44.1khz MQA files unfold into 352khz when played.

with the DX320, audirvana does not detect it as an MQA player, both in the Mango OS and Mango Android app. with tidal in audirvana, 16/44.1 khz MQA files unfold into 88.2khz. 48khz ones into 96khz. with higher resolution MQA files from tidal, i noticed that 192khz MQA files are downsampled to 96khz, while 352khz MQA is downsampled into 88.2khz.

anybody else noticed this? DX320 MQA Conversion 01.pngDX320 MQA Conversion 02.pngDX320 MQA Conversion 03.pngDX320 MQA Conversion 04.pngDX320 MQA Conversion 05.pngDX320 MQA Conversion 06.png

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #7,158 of 10,347
You can find it on Ebay, delivery to Germany : Ebay
Or a little AMP13 available on hifi-passion.de :relaxed:
Hey! Lol, you know what? I never really tried Ebay, thanks for that!

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #7,159 of 10,347
hello zanril,
i have noticed that, too, today, when i used my DX320 as the output for audirvana. audirvana automatically detects devices that handle MQA. in my case, tried it with my ifi xDSD, and i could obviously see the 16/44.1khz MQA files unfold into 352khz when played.

with the DX320, audirvana does not detect it as an MQA player, both in the Mango OS and Mango Android app. with tidal in audirvana, 16/44.1 khz MQA files unfold into 88.2khz. 48khz ones into 96khz. with higher resolution MQA files from tidal, i noticed that 192khz MQA files are downsampled to 96khz, while 352khz MQA is downsampled into 88.2khz.

anybody else noticed this?DX320 MQA Conversion 01.pngDX320 MQA Conversion 02.pngDX320 MQA Conversion 03.pngDX320 MQA Conversion 04.pngDX320 MQA Conversion 05.pngDX320 MQA Conversion 06.png
MQA play directly offline from MicroSD dont have these issues.
Can someone enlighten if op-amp swapping to 4x ADA4625-1 for AMP12EXN-S is worth it?

And I'm not sure if I recall correctly, but did Whitigir say he used Burson V6 on his new mod, or did I read it wrong cause that thing is huge right?
it is a matter of personal tastes. Yes, I am using it daily

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #7,160 of 10,347
MQA play directly offline from MicroSD dont have these issues.
yes. and it does unfold MQA (maximum SR) via the android tidal app that i installed. was just trying/experimenting how my unit functions as an output for audirvana. was surprised that it does not function as an MQA renderer. really thought (and wishing) it can unfold MQA when used as an external output for audirvana, or to just any PC app that supports MQA in tidal.

however, i found a way to play 16/44.1 MQA to a higher sample rate by setting the upsampling, in audirvana to "device maximum frequency." im just not sure if that is equivalent to MQA unfolding.

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #7,161 of 10,347
yes. and it does unfold MQA (maximum SR) via the android tidal app that i installed. was just trying/experimenting how my unit functions as an output for audirvana. was surprised that it does not function as an MQA renderer. really thought (and wishing) it can unfold MQA when used as an external output for audirvana, or to just any PC app that supports MQA in tidal.

however, i found a way to play 16/44.1 MQA to a higher sample rate by setting the upsampling, in audirvana to "device maximum frequency." im just not sure if that is equivalent to MQA unfolding.
MQA folding is just an imbedded algorithms predetermined by the studios or so they said. For example, different digital filters will slightly alter the sound. The same as different noises shaping techniques. So, instead of using general settings for all, each genres and artists would decide which one they are most satisfied with and embedding it in the files at a minimal FLAC quality. That is what MQA is. It is an upsampling or upscaling algorithms with studios or artists intentions

But…is their intentions about the money ? Or about the performances ? Lol!!!! And by using it that way, they had to reduce 16 bits to lower bit length … hence further compressing the file. Therefore, a lot of debate around all of that.

To skip the debates, get hi-res , and or CD FLAC

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #7,162 of 10,347

The ADA op amps make the mids absolutely magical, it almost feels like a tube amp effect where it rounds the the mids and add increases depth in that area, the battery drain is real though but in some eyes it actually matches the faster drain rate of the Digital Battery from the Analog Side.

I didn't get the Op Amp upgrade on my EXN2 because personally, I didn't want to sacrifice battery life for more vivid mids but I know a lot of people would and it makes your music sound very enjoyable but that is the trade off.

Nov 10, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #7,163 of 10,347
Quick impressions and comparison. Edition X dx320 and WM1Z.

These 2 are a stark contrast from one to another

1Z M2 is warmer, denser, meatiness, less biting and less sparkling, more emotionally invoking, some what less dynamic than EX. Best be driving IER-Z1R at low gain. Doing just good enough for 800s, it compliments the 800s well but not as good as EX

EX is colder, more neutral, energetic but less dense, less meatiness, better dynamic and micro dynamic, more sparkling, more biting, more analytical invoking. Best be driving my 800S while pairing with IER-Z1R is boring and pale in comparison to 1ZM2

The dynamic delivery could easily be the differences between more Oversampling and or less between DAC signatures. Once again, I haven’t yet observe the dynamic delivery from other DAC that is similar to ROHMS in N8ii or Dx320.

Both are equally enjoyable, and while in a stark contrast in signatures, they compliment one another very well.

I found myself reaching for WM1ZM2 more because it is more fun, more engaging, in direct mode, it never drop battery % and it never heat up even if I wrap winter coat around it in multiple layers and wrapping it in blankets. The EX ? It gets cooking in comparison. When I want to listen to a proper 800s portable setup, I reach for EX, mostly during the day, because the X gets warms during my night time on the bed

7D7728F2-C570-4C9B-AA1C-4B82F132E605.jpeg
51CDAFDF-4995-490A-9F09-074B793B55A9.jpeg
9A496FB8-F828-4632-B103-89F4C0866B10.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #7,164 of 10,347

1Z M2 is warmer, denser, meatiness, less biting and less sparkling, more emotionally invoking, some what less dynamic than EX. Best be driving IER-Z1R at low gain. Doing just good enough for 800s, it compliments the 800s well but not as good as EX

EX is colder, more neutral, energetic but less dense, less meatiness, better dynamic and micro dynamic, more sparkling, more biting, more analytical invoking. Best be driving my 800S while pairing with IER-Z1R is boring and pale in comparison to 1ZM2

The dynamic delivery could easily be the differences between more Oversampling and or less between DAC signatures. Once again, I haven’t yet observe the dynamic delivery from other DAC that is similar to ROHMS in N8ii or Dx320.

Both are equally enjoyable, and while in a stark contrast in signatures, they compliment one another very well.

I found myself reaching for WM1ZM2 more because it is more fun, more engaging, in direct mode, it never drop battery % and it never heat up even if I wrap winter coat around it in multiple layers and wrapping it in blankets. The EX ? It gets cooking in comparison. When I want to listen to a proper 800s portable setup, I reach for EX, mostly during the day, because the X gets warms during my night time on the bed

Which amp module did you use for this comparison?

Was it the stock amp or one of your mods by any chance?

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #7,166 of 10,347

In the end, we all meet on the warm side:)

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #7,167 of 10,347
MQA folding is just an imbedded algorithms predetermined by the studios or so they said. For example, different digital filters will slightly alter the sound. The same as different noises shaping techniques. So, instead of using general settings for all, each genres and artists would decide which one they are most satisfied with and embedding it in the files at a minimal FLAC quality. That is what MQA is. It is an upsampling or upscaling algorithms with studios or artists intentions

But…is their intentions about the money ? Or about the performances ? Lol!!!! And by using it that way, they had to reduce 16 bits to lower bit length … hence further compressing the file. Therefore, a lot of debate around all of that.

To skip the debates, get hi-res , and or CD FLAC
better not go into THAT debate.. LOL!
anyway, mine was just for the purpose of fiddling with a new toy, discovering what goes along very well with it. overall, i have no qualms with my EX-008. outstanding overall performance! and i have found a better app to enjoy tidal (regular flac and MQA) and music stored in the SD card - the UAPP app. very nice interface and less complicated.

Nov 11, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #7,169 of 10,347
Which one is "better" guys, modded amp12 or amp13?

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #7,170 of 10,347
I receive my DX320, and I like it a lot; I love the sound it's warmer than my Fiio M15.

Things I don't like at all.
Buttons, every time I come close to the device with my hands, I now press the buttons and the song changes. Way too sensitive. Fiio Buttons are way better in this regard.
Even with the case way too sensitive, I know you can turn them off, but changing songs is a pain.
I am still getting used to the dual batteries. It drives me crazy to see one battery at 2% and the other at 50%. OCD at its finest. lol

Headphone outputs on top, not a fan, since I cannot put my dap on the stand, I used to charge it and used it. It forces me to put it in reverse, and the screen is always oriented the wrong way. If the screen completely flips over, it will be ok since it's not. I had to remove it every time I wanted to browse my library.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back