DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jul 2, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #3,631 of 10,343
Have you tried the Mest with dx320. I'm scared to blind buy the monarch mkii
I've heard the mest only with the dx300 but i can already say that i prefer the Monarchs. They are better tuned imho. I felt that the Mest were exaggerating in separation, for me they were bit disconnected. The Monarchs are more like listening to the speakers that are placed in front of you. More classic approach to the tuning. But that's personal taste. I hate things that sound artificial and the Mest sounded bit disjointed for me and not as natural as the Monarchs.

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #3,632 of 10,343
Ive heard that the Oracles are amazing, buttery smooth iems. I have Monarchs 2 and i wouldnt change them. I really really love how they sound, for me the iem search is finished definitely, ive found my end game in a quite good price.
How would you compare the Kann Max to the dx300? I had dx300 so maybe i could draw some conclusion from your description:)
I really can’t do much better than I’ve already poorly wrote—dx300 sounded awesome like full size speakers in my ears, liquidy, full, analog, powerful (wattage-wise). I haven’t had it for over a month. Memory is shaky.
KMax, I hazard to state, has perhaps more space between instruments, more clarity.
The important thing for me that KMax has is a coherence that sounds rooted or grounded—not instruments floating around sounding subtly disconnected.

I forget which thread I read it or who wrote it, but it was stated very well, that some daps have a black background not because they’re silent but because some core frequency has been removed to create the impression of low noise. It was an analogy. Had way too many daps like that. Dx300 did not suffer from this nor KMax.

Oracles are surprisingly malleable in terms of subtle dynamics given cable and tip swapping but the big vivid coherent sound stays constant. Got rid of stock cable after about two minutes listening.

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #3,633 of 10,343
I really can’t do much better than I’ve already poorly wrote—dx300 sounded awesome like full size speakers in my ears, liquidy, full, analog, powerful (wattage-wise). I haven’t had it for over a month. Memory is shaky.
KMax, I hazard to state, has perhaps more space between instruments, more clarity.
The important thing for me that KMax has is a coherence that sounds rooted or grounded—not instruments floating around sounding subtly disconnected.

I forget which thread I read it or who wrote it, but it was stated very well, that some daps have a black background not because they’re silent but because some core frequency has been removed to create the impression of low noise. It was an analogy. Had way too many daps like that. Dx300 did not suffer from this nor KMax.

Oracles are surprisingly malleable in terms of subtle dynamics given cable and tip swapping but the big vivid coherent sound stays constant. Got rid of stock cable after about two minutes listening.
Thanx for a great description! Very appreciated!

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #3,635 of 10,343
All i can say now is that IBasso did something remarkable with the OG fw. The sound is so intensive and dynamic but not tiring. That's why I'm feeling that's more an experience than listening to the music. Honestly I've never experienced something like this before. It's soo alive and realistic. Damn..

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #3,636 of 10,343
All i can say now is that IBasso did something remarkable with the OG fw. The sound is so intensive and dynamic but not tiring. That's why I'm feeling that's more an experience than listening to the music. Honestly I've never experienced something like this before. It's soo alive and realistic. Damn..
But if you like the DX320 that much why not go back to the OG settings with your Amp12 EXN ?

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #3,637 of 10,343
But if you like the DX320 that much why not go back to the OG settings with your Amp12 EXN ?
I find the 11.2s more vivid, the EXN is more diffused and polite. I think that the stock amp is finally burned in. The sound is out of this world. Very very alive and dynamic, punchy and focused, orgasmic.

Jul 2, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #3,638 of 10,343
I find the 11.2s more vivid, the EXN is more diffused and polite. I think that the stock amp is finally burned in. The sound is out of this world. Very very alive and dynamic, punchy and focused, orgasmic.
So actually you could be fine if you forget the Amp13 and roll back to the first / OG software using Amp11 Mk II S ... ?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #3,640 of 10,343
Have you tried the Mest with dx320. I'm scared to blind buy the monarch mkii
You can trust Rigatio. I also bought the Monarch MKII after its great reviews.
DX320 with OG firmware and Monarch MKII is a dream. Exactly the sound I was looking for. Everything fits.

Jul 3, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #3,642 of 10,343
I for one am perfectly happy with the newest FW and stock amp…can’t be bothered to switch back and forth between firmwares.
I have a custom 12EXN coming Tues from Steve, and am eager to hear how it pairs with the 320 (I had 12EX with the 300 and absolutely adored it).

2CC846FD-0B05-4BD4-AAAD-DFACAE4D0CD6.jpeg
My amp 12 is also with Steve and I will get mine almost like that. But I decided to use a Solen Teflon condenser. Hope it fits. The height is given as 9 mm but Steve said there are deviations and that he has already measured 9.52 mm and then it doesn't fit. Then there will also be the silver ones. Am. I'm really looking forward to your sound impressions!!!

Jul 3, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #3,643 of 10,343
I endorse this post. DX320 with OG firmware is the silver bullet. Well tuned IEM‘s and Over-ears with above average sound-staging capabilities will easily expose the differences between OG and later firmwares (with 11.2 amp).

I am also experiencing the improvements with burnin. Some are skeptic, but I believe what I can hear with my own two ears. I have a reference playlist that I have been building for years and use for every audition and know when something changes in the sound.

I am waiting for a firmware that gives me the bug fixes without changing the OG sound. With OG I am at 6% digital battery while amp battery is still at 86%. It doesn’t help that high rez streaming is my primary source for music. I also want to see touch-to-wake feature fixed. Mine works approximately 5% of the time and I worry for the longevity of the volume wheel.

Other than that I am in awe whenever I am rocking the DX320 with OG firmware but without the bug fixes I may not want to keep it long term.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #3,644 of 10,343
When it comes to the iems, i noticed that i have very similar taste to the Crinacle's. So if you want to ask me about iems, just look at the Crinacle's ranking. Im exactly with him. After many, many tests i agree with this guy. Hes genius, he honestly knows what a great tuned iems/headphones should sound like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back