DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 20, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #3,091 of 10,362
With 16x oversampling, Neutron will play with a native resolution of ROHM dacs. Native means the best a dac can play and should play with.
You are, of course right, but there is more to it than that. The Rohm DACs process in 24 bit natively, whereas the SOC processes increments of 16 (16, 32, 64). Any time you change the bits in a digital file, you introduce quantization errors (among other distortions). Oversampling is similar to dither in that it moves any of those errors above the range at which the human ear can hear before the output stage where they can no longer be corrected. This is really the only way to give the appearance of elimination such errors, because they happen regardless when manipulating digital sound files.

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #3,092 of 10,362
If there are any lurkers with C9 looking to change for DX320, give me a shout.

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #3,093 of 10,362
Btw, anyone can give me any feedback on operating temperatures while using full balanced sound and neutron dsd256? It's the heaviest load i can think of and i'd like to know if someone tested how hot it would get or if it can handles it ''coolly''.
I may be able to test this tomorrow. I ordered one of these, mainly for testing power banks and laptop batteries but it does give the current temperature. Just to verify. I would be using stock/updated AMP11 with DX320, 4.4mm port using neutron with DSD256 content (or do I need to do any oversampling, never used neutron before). That or I can test the 2.5mm output.

It should also show. How much power it's using as well as the temperature of the battery. I won't know for sure until I get it in my hands though. I'm also wondering how it will handle the 2 batteries but having 2 batteries is becoming more common in laptops so I doubt it will be an issue.

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #3,094 of 10,362
I may be able to test this tomorrow. I ordered one of these, mainly for testing power banks and laptop batteries but it does give the current temperature. Just to verify. I would be using stock/updated AMP11 with DX320, 4.4mm port using neutron with DSD256 content (or do I need to do any oversampling, never used neutron before). That or I can test the 2.5mm output.

It should also show. How much power it's using as well as the temperature of the battery. I won't know for sure until I get it in my hands though. I'm also wondering how it will handle the 2 batteries but having 2 batteries is becoming more common in laptops so I doubt it will be an issue.
4.4mm output, dsd256 would be pretty heavy already, don'y know if oversampling chains over all to dsd or if if it's mutually exclusive. You could try based also on what you hear. Please mention the ambient temperature too!

Jun 20, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #3,095 of 10,362
For those who prefer FW updates via OTA, it's now available if you haven't noticed already. I am downloading it now :)

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #3,098 of 10,362
I wouldnt do it:) An update via 660 Tool is recommended. I know its more problematic but at least youre sure that everything is done 100% well.
Why wouldn't OTA be done well? I'm not trying to be difficult, just curious - have there been reported issues with the update via OTA?

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #3,100 of 10,362
Why wouldn't OTA be done well? I'm not trying to be difficult, just curious - have there been reported issues with the update via OTA?
I did the first update OTA. It seemed smaller then the close to 900MB file from iBasso. When I put in the AMP13 card the volume knob was inverted (0 being the loudest). Someone suggested redoing the in upgrade manually. After I did the volume wheel issue was gone and no factory reset was needed. It also seemed to take longer to do the update then the OTA update. Ideally, they should be identical but downloading it on the DX320 from iBasso is going to be my method going forward.

I understand the other tool was recommended but I don't want to do a factory reset unless absolutely needed. I e got an android phone so everything is tied to Google so doing a factory reset wouldn't be a big deal. Just doesn't seem necessary.

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #3,101 of 10,362
Seems like the battery life is quite good actually.

Attachments

• 20220620_212945.jpg
    20220620_212945.jpg
    957.1 KB · Views: 0
Jun 20, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #3,102 of 10,362
I did the first update OTA. It seemed smaller then the close to 900MB file from iBasso. When I put in the AMP13 card the volume knob was inverted (0 being the loudest). Someone suggested redoing the in upgrade manually. After I did the volume wheel issue was gone and no factory reset was needed. It also seemed to take longer to do the update then the OTA update. Ideally, they should be identical but downloading it on the DX320 from iBasso is going to be my method going forward.

I understand the other tool was recommended but I don't want to do a factory reset unless absolutely needed. I e got an android phone so everything is tied to Google so doing a factory reset wouldn't be a big deal. Just doesn't seem necessary.
Ok thanks.
I tried it via OTA and the file size was just slightly more than 900MB, so that's strange versus your experience. The iBasso site says it's about 904MB, and that sounds about right based on what was downloaded for me.
I don't have amp13 and don't intend to get it, so not too worried about that.
While a pain to do, I did factory reset twice and am now re-installed and re-downloading files.
Let's see how everything goes...thanks

Jun 20, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #3,104 of 10,362
4.4mm output, dsd256 would be pretty heavy already, don'y know if oversampling chains over all to dsd or if if it's mutually exclusive. You could try based also on what you hear. Please mention the ambient temperature too!
It won't affect DSD files but will affect PCM to DSD128/256 as long as the order of the chain is oversampling first (editable in Neutron settings). And from what I have read, they do chain together (serial, rather than parallel). Once converted to DSD the file will no longer be affected by DSP of the software (EQ, Tempo, compression, etc...)

Jun 20, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,105 of 10,362
After doing some good burn in with the AMP13, getting excellent sound and more power than I thought it would put out. It easily brings great sound to the Utopia or the SR2 and any of my IEMs are an easy do. I have also been using it out to a couple of desktop amps, with excellent results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back