DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #10,322 of 10,334
I'm curious about whether a new model is around the corner as well. What is iBasso's normal product cycle? I noticed the 240 to 260 was about 2 1/4 years and we're right about that now with the 320.
I am not too sure about that, but (unrelated, and informational only) I just got an email from Bloom Audio (if you are in the US) where the DX320 Max TI is back in stock.... :)

I think it was about 2 or 3 years with the DX160 before they updated to the DX170, so maybe somewhere in there.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #10,323 of 10,334
On the topic of new model, it seems the latest trends for DAPs are:
  • More AKM4499EX options
  • Discrete R2R DACs
  • Sub-miniature tubes
  • Limited editions (AK have been doing this for a while though)
No opinion on AKM4499EX from me since I've yet to listen to one.

Tthe discrete R2R DACs are interesting, but I'm a little skeptical as to the performance given the numerous challenges that go into desktop versions which drives up the cost. There's a reason why discrete R2R created a market for IC versions which are far easier to implement. If discrete was equally easy, then I'm sure Schiit Audio would have done that a long time ago instead of scouring the secondary markets for out of production IC R2R chips.

As for sub-miniature, I personally like the idea as those are true analog tubes. Unlike like standard tubes, these subs were designed for portability which means lower temps, better resistance to RF noise, and long lives (10s of thousands of hours). Only downside is they require more internal space versus the NuTube digital tubes.

Lastly for limited editions, I don't get this at all, but it doesn't matter to me because I can't see myself spending the kind of dollars those require.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #10,324 of 10,334
I like the ROHM chip for its naturalness of sound, great detail and acoustical space but the expense most likely keeps many manufactures away. Then there is the DC Elite that is silly good and it is using a desktop ROHM chip.

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #10,325 of 10,334
Here's hoping the next model has R2R and supports our existing amp cards :)

Apr 15, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #10,328 of 10,334
I may be the owner of a DX320 again (I've owned a few DX300 and a few DX320 before.....), something keeps pulling me back into the DX320 club...

Anyways, for those of you who opted to have the op amps swapped on your AMP12EXN-S and AMP12EXN2 mods (NPAudio), what are the effects on the battery life? Does either analog battery or digital battery drain faster? How many hours of battery life do you think the op amp swap will affect? I've gotten a EXN2 mod in the past but opted to not to have the op amps swapped becuase I was unsure of the effect on battery life.

Thanks!

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #10,329 of 10,334
I may be the owner of a DX320 again (I've owned a few DX300 and a few DX320 before.....), something keeps pulling me back into the DX320 club...

Anyways, for those of you who opted to have the op amps swapped on your AMP12EXN-S and AMP12EXN2 mods (NPAudio), what are the effects on the battery life? Does either analog battery or digital battery drain faster? How many hours of battery life do you think the op amp swap will affect? I've gotten a EXN2 mod in the past but opted to not to have the op amps swapped becuase I was unsure of the effect on battery life.

Thanks!
Welcome back. :)

I don't remember too well, but @Whitigir would know. If he doesn't reply, then you can always search this thread (or was it the DX300 thread???). :wink:

I vaguely remember that it does affect the analog battery, but how much, I don't know. It should not affect the digital battery at all because that is all, well...... the digital stuff (i.e. OS, DACs, etc...)

Apr 16, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #10,330 of 10,334

Thanks!
I only have stock AMP12 and EXN-S with ada op amps - with stock card battery for digital section drains faster, with modded card its the other way around.

The difference is not that big - I usually charge when the analogue hits 20% and at that point digital has around 10% more.

With modded card, the player gets noticeably hotter and I also noticed that changing gain makes little difference on analogue battery life, if any at all.

Apr 20, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #10,331 of 10,334
Problem solved.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 4:34 AM Post #10,333 of 10,334
Still a great DAP for me. I have it for a year and there is no problem with android at all, it is still as fast and stable. I use the AMP14 and it sounds absolutely fantastic. But it is true that I have no comparison with more expensive DAPs. Before that I had a Shanling M6U. DX320 is much better for me..

Apr 23, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #10,334 of 10,334
Hi is this still a good choise in 2024?? I can get one second hand with 2 amp cards. How fast does the android dap get outdated and will that make any problems? Also considering lg v60 with seperate dac in that case

You made a great choice, the DX320 has a ton of performance and perks for it's value which is far better than other players from other hifi companies,

-Snappy Processor
-Removable amp modules that can be modded to further improve dynamics, separation, flavor and soundstage
-Has amp modules that have NuTubes
-Can be rooted so you can have more control over cpu cores and battery life
-ROHM dac chips are expensive and are not widely used with other DAPs yet, iBasso has the advantage here.
-Relatively lightweight DAP with a decent screen size and battery life is much better than Astell&Kern players.

I've owned a few DX300 and DX320 as well as a DX300MAX and always thought that at that point they were the best DAPs to buy for the features and value. I've also owned Astell&Kern, Lotoo, FiiO and Shanling DAPs, iBasso DAPs are the better choice for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back