DX260 Digital Audio Player, a New avenue to your music. Preorders have started. Easily replaceable battery. NEW Firmware Update! 2.02
Mar 1, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #662 of 949
Why not learning how to DIY and reterminate the 4.4 mm cable yourself? You can save so much money by doing so. I started out knowing how to solder and I am very good at it now. I really don’t see the point on a 3.5 mm on a device with a 4.4 mm output anymore honestly. Designer can utilize that space for a second microSD slot or larger capacitors and improve the sound even further.
I am a complete incompetent with anything requiring a degree of precision be that soldering or anything of that nature - I prefer to let the obvious expertise of Effect Audio do the job for me.
That said (and I know many IEM makers offer 4.4mm alternatives) most American IEMS; 64 audio CA audio and Noble audio sold in the UK, only sell with SE cables; but then, with the exception, in my experience, of Lotoo, most DAP manufacturers have seemingly ignored the poor old SE output entirely, making it somehow inferior to the balanced output. Why?

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #663 of 949
The se is not inferior to the 4.4, who told u that? Where is this info even coming from lol.
The 4.4 doubles the power in most cases so its better to use with a more demanding headphones but if you don't have 4.4 cable and the se is sufficient with your headphones, just use 3.5
Jesus this hobby is crazy these days

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #664 of 949
Honestly, I don’t even know why anyone want to use 3.5 mm SE anymore either. I reterminated all of my cables to 4.4 mm. It’s a superior plug with larger contacts and should sound better as well.

I can testing SE and report back though with that said.
Depends on the quality of components (discrete or not) in the AMP section.

On the DX240 AMP8 MKII &MKIIs. I barely notice a difference in sound quality 4.4 vs 3.5. On the Sony ZX507. There's a big SQ difference between 3.5 and 4.4.

There's also something else to consider. How much power does the IEM or headphone need to prevent distortion?

For example, I noticed after much testing that the very sensitive Synphonium Audio Meteor sounds so much better on SE, Low gain vs Mid or High gain with better, bass and overall dynamics, trailing echos etc. Only catch is now you need a little more volume.

So 4.4 maybe better overall but overpowering an IEM or headphone will diminish the sound quality.

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #665 of 949
The se is not inferior to the 4.4, who told u that? Where is this info even coming from lol.
The 4.4 doubles the power in most cases so its better to use with a more demanding headphones but if you don't have 4.4 cable and the se is sufficient with your headphones, just use 3.5
Just about every review of any DAP these days and the reviewer will say something along the lines of "if you want the best resolution, soundstage, separation, etc etc.. use the 4.4 balanced.." As i said, with the exception of Lotoo, who afford the SE output the same power as the balanced output, most DAPs feature underpowered SE outputs with less resolution, soundstage etc..
Going back to my original question: I wanted to know if this was the case with the DX260?

Mar 1, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #666 of 949
I think the 4.4 mm is important to me because I use it to power my HD800s and the rest of my full size headphones too. A balanced output done right will always sound better than SE output with blacker background and more holographic soundstage. This apply to the same amplifier with the same topologies.
I am a complete incompetent with anything requiring a degree of precision be that soldering or anything of that nature - I prefer to let the obvious expertise of Effect Audio do the job for me.
That said (and I know many IEM makers offer 4.4mm alternatives) most American IEMS; 64 audio CA audio and Noble audio sold in the UK, only sell with SE cables; but then, with the exception, in my experience, of Lotoo, most DAP manufacturers have seemingly ignored the poor old SE output entirely, making it somehow inferior to the balanced output. Why?
You should try honestly. I started out knowing nothing. A 4.4 mm retermination isn’t very difficult to do compared to 3.5 mm TRRS and that awful 2.5 mm balanced jack.

You can also make your own cables afterward saving a lot more money and free up budget fir gears upgrade. You can get those Furutech jack and your cable will sound better than those being offered by boutique cable makers for much less money.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #667 of 949
I think the 4.4 mm is important to me because I use it to power my HD800s and the rest of my full size headphones too. A balanced output done right will always sound better than SE output with blacker background and more holographic soundstage. This apply to the same amplifier with the same topologies.

You should try honestly. I started out knowing nothing.
I appreciate the concept of DIY but I'm afraid I just don't have any interest in it.
I like things that work the way I'm led to believe they should and buy things based on that being the case.
My input would likely mean destruction :scream::relaxed:

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #668 of 949
Just about every review of any DAP these days and the reviewer will say something along the lines of "if you want the best resolution, soundstage, separation, etc etc.. use the 4.4 balanced.." As i said, with the exception of Lotoo, who afford the SE output the same power as the balanced output, most DAPs feature underpowered SE outputs with less resolution, soundstage etc..
Going back to my original question: I wanted to know if this was the case with the DX260?
"Just about every review of any DAP these days and the reviewer will say something along the lines of "if you want the best resolution, soundstage, separation, etc etc.. use the 4.4 balanced.." Bro please, these "reviewers" hear voices in their heads. Most of them are just audio enthusiasts like you and me who just happen to record videos and put it on YT or on some websites. I bet none of them could tell you a difference in a blind tests.
Maybe there are some daps which have purposely better sounding 4.4 - Sony?? but most of them arent like this. Sony daps are very weak in terms of power so 4.4 is a default way to go, unlike on any other daps which in most cases have more power from SE than the Sony daps from 4.4.
4,4 is useful if you need more power or just want to use a more sturdy connector. I use it too, not for sound quality but because this connector is thicker and less prone to eventual bending.

Mar 1, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #669 of 949
"Just about every review of any DAP these days and the reviewer will say something along the lines of "if you want the best resolution, soundstage, separation, etc etc.. use the 4.4 balanced.." Bro please, these "reviewers" hear voices in their heads. Most of them are just audio enthusiasts like you and me who just happen to record videos and put it on YT or on some websites. I bet none of them could tell you a difference in a blind tests.
Maybe there are some daps which have purposely better sounding 4.4 - Sony?? but most of them arent like this. Sony daps are very weak in terms of power so 4.4 is a default way to go, unlike on any other daps which in most cases have more power from SE than the Sony daps from 4.4.
4,4 is useful if you need more power or just want to use a more sturdy connector. I use it too, not for sound quality but because this connector is thicker and less prone to eventual bending.
Really I get it, but nevertheless these reviewers are sometimes all I have to base my buying decisions on. And over the years, I have worked out that some are better than others. Result is that I am able to “trust” whether or not something I’m interested in is worth taking a financial risk on. I have yet to be disappointed; most of the mistakes I’ve made have been my own. Now, with my membership of this illustrious forum, I hope to take it a stage further by eliciting the knowledgeable assistance of fellow hobbyists and again I pose the question: how is the SE output on the DX260?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #670 of 949
Balanced originally came into use to get rid of distortion/interference in recording and to do long runs of cables.

In audio as used here, there is a positive and negative voltage. What this does is add more control over the driver, rather than positive and to ground, you have a control of the driver with voltage, both positive and negative. In some cases you can hear a difference, depending upon the driver of the IEMs or Headphones. I personally hear on some, a larger soundstage, a little better (controlled) bass and a few other distinguishing characteristics. There are variables. And if you don't hear the difference then use what ever you want, either way.

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #672 of 949
Hello, I just bought DX260. Don't you think it sounds a bit thin and flat?
It needs some burn in for the capacitors etc., to settle and form.

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #673 of 949
Just received mine!
First impressions:
- Very nice sinergy with the Twilights
- No Roon bit perfect, I hope this will get fixed. (tried roon remote and arc)
- the size of the dap is about perfect, not too small and not too big.
- very detailed, quite neutral sound signature (I'm coming from a ifi gryphon and can clearly notice that the gryphon is a lot warmer)
- no background noise, yippie!
Waiting for my SD card to fill up and then I'll test some more.

1000011624.jpg

Mar 5, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #674 of 949
Just received mine!
First impressions:
- very detailed, quite neutral sound signature (I'm coming from a ifi gryphon and can clearly notice that the gryphon is a lot warmer)

The non-hi def Roon issue is probably on Roon and how their app addresses the system.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/is...id-for-daps-that-actively-support-this/247477
If you want a HiDef local streaming app, Hiby works great with every server I've tried it on.

As an aside, I'm not a big fan of Roon as lots of my files aren't tagged with meta data and I find it's bit perfect bytes a little bright/glassy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #675 of 949
Just received mine!
First impressions:

1000011624.jpg
I am also using mine with Twilight. I might shoot a video this weekend for some basic impressions, so far these are my initial thoughts.

>Very clean output. no audible noise-floor or distortion.
>Output is quite powerful, have tested a few IEMs and yet to turn to medium gain lol, low-gain works well throughout.
>The size is really handy. My previous DAP the M15s was a big huge in comparison.
>It is quite snappy as well, like fluid UI.

One issue i face so far, The volume wheel has a bit of a play. It's not very firm and might turn itself while putting in the pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back