DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Jan 23, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #2,746 of 2,804
Wish i understood 1 % of what you are doing. But it really interesting to see your work and how it could influence sound. My way of changing it cost much more :D but i am happy with ibasso choices made of their engineers. I would really wanted to know from your perspective am8 mk2s evaluation but as i remember you had no possibility to listen it, or i am wrong
I haven't but it was extremely well received as was amp5 so I'm sure it's great as is. I tend to be a bit critical and have masters I know extremely well as I was there when they were mixed etc. Musicality still rules the day but perspective, info and tonality need to be there as well.

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #2,747 of 2,804
I haven't but it was extremely well received as was amp5 so I'm sure it's great as is. I tend to be a bit critical and have masters I know extremely well as I was there when they were mixed etc. Musicality still rules the day but perspective, info and tonality need to be there as well.
An amazing thing to hear from a fellow enthusiasts. Most often in this hobby, the references is blurred. I keep reminding people that one should base their references on a tonal body of a specific instrument, the one they know well enough, and in person, rather than after the electrical devices. It depends on the system, but the higher the fidelity is the better it can reproduce better quantity of multiple instruments and it tonal accuracy. Having yourself personally witnessing a recording and examining it is really the best way to judge such a vastly subjective hobby and it references ! Because you can easily base your references on the point of the studio intentions and project it onward to different systems. It is lovely !

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #2,748 of 2,804
that is why the love for Ibasso continue to grow in me. I see the trend of manufacturers climbing up in prices VS Ibasso who is following their heart desires (audio performances) and the increased in prices is just a result of their increased developments and expenses costs which make me feel that Ibasso first thoughts is Audio performances and Pricing is a second thought afterward
Keeping their new 200 series player in the 3 digits dollar range with that topology is quite the trick.

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #2,749 of 2,804
An amazing thing to hear from a fellow enthusiasts. Most often in this hobby, the references is blurred. I keep reminding people that one should base their references on a tonal body of a specific instrument, the one they know well enough, and in person, rather than after the electrical devices. It depends on the system, but the higher the fidelity is the better it can reproduce better quantity of multiple instruments and it tonal accuracy. Having yourself personally witnessing a recording and examining it is really the best way to judge such a vastly subjective hobby and it references ! Because you can easily base your references on the point of the studio intentions and project it onward to different systems. It is lovely !
Ands it's not about exact tonality either. That's somewhat relative to personal standards, it needs to be close LOL.

It's about things lining up and constancy of response while still having timing and dynamic contrast. For things I don't know that well, the easiest qualifier is goose bump factor. I may not know the recording but I know there's a guy on the other side of a microphone trying to tell a story. If I get it, it's probably doing something right.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #2,750 of 2,804
Ands it's not about exact tonality either. That's somewhat relative to personal standards, it needs to be close LOL.

It's about things lining up and constancy of response while still having timing and dynamic contrast. For things I don't know that well, the easiest qualifier is goose bump factor. I may not know the recording but I know there's a guy on the other side of a microphone trying to tell a story. If I get it, it's probably doing something right.
totally agreed, and just so long as it need to be close as the key words. Not everyone have the luxury of such things :). You are blessed, but sorry about the wallet LOL

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #2,751 of 2,804
totally agreed, and just so long as it need to be close as the key words. Not everyone have the luxury of such things :). You are blessed, but sorry about the wallet LOL
I've got an in to home kit, LOL, but yah, my cars are worth less. I hate to say it but I don't really get the need for $4k IEMs. I know I'm not missing anything right now. I get that there will be things better but I don't think I'd get more goosebumps. I briefly heard a 320 with some 64 audio u12T and clearly preferred what I'm using (that's obviously tweaked for me so not really fai)r.

I did let a head of one the top IEM companies listen to the DX240 (he hadn't heard one) as I use it and he thought it great and better than some mega $ units he's heard.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #2,752 of 2,804
It's too bad you're not in the states or vice versa. Would be fun. I'd love to hear your stuff. If you're ever in the Chicago area...

Jan 23, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #2,753 of 2,804
It's too bad you're not in the states or vice versa. Would be fun. I'd love to hear your stuff. If you're ever in the Chicago area...
He is in the States and closer to you than me.

Jan 27, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #2,755 of 2,804
I received my amp8mk2s today. It really sounds noticeably better than amp1 or amp5mod. I haven't listened to the DX260 yet, but the DX240 with this amp is more than enough for me :L3000:
I want to tell about my observations. I have been using this DAP for almost 2 months. It sounds really good, but... The main problem with dx240 sound is gain issues. It's like connecting a low-power amplifier to a powerful speaker system. I think the amp modules are lacking voltage. I will say right away that I do not use headphones that require a powerful amplifier. With the AMP8mk2s module, this lack of sound is felt much less and the sound of the DAP approaches a higher price level

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #2,756 of 2,804
I received my amp8mk2s today. It really sounds noticeably better than amp1 or amp5mod. I haven't listened to the DX260 yet, but the DX240 with this amp is more than enough for me :L3000:
I want to tell about my observations. I have been using this DAP for almost 2 months. It sounds really good, but... The main problem with dx240 sound is gain issues. It's like connecting a low-power amplifier to a powerful speaker system. I think the amp modules are lacking voltage. I will say right away that I do not use headphones that require a powerful amplifier. With the AMP8mk2s module, this lack of sound is felt much less and the sound of the DAP approaches a higher price level
Happy to hear you liked it. Overal i agree with you. I had amp 8 original and famous ex version and they had really good power output, but other and original one i used wasn't at that level. So amp8 is already level up from other. It is noticeable. And mk2s ads much better tuning compared to original amp8. Good power , good technicalities and good tuning with dx240 portability - what else we need :wink:

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #2,757 of 2,804
I received my hidizs mp145. Incredible synergy with dx248s. I'm used to much more expensive custom headphones and I'm surprised how these $150 headphones sound with my DAP. I recommend everyone to try it

Attachments

• 20240204_195140.jpg
    20240204_195140.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Feb 4, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #2,758 of 2,804
I tried the penon 10th with dx248 and dx248mk2 and strangely I prefer dx248 over dx248mk2, especially on voices, which I feel fuller.
Maybe amp8mk2 is too technical for some iem...
Any feedback on this point ?

Feb 4, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #2,760 of 2,804
I received my hidizs mp145. Incredible synergy with dx248s. I'm used to much more expensive custom headphones and I'm surprised how these $150 headphones sound with my DAP. I recommend everyone to try it
I was thinking if this combination will be good with mk2s as i was looking what iem to get. mp145 was on my radar.
I tried the penon 10th with dx248 and dx248mk2 and strangely I prefer dx248 over dx248mk2, especially on voices, which I feel fuller.
Maybe amp8mk2 is too technical for some iem...
Any feedback on this point ?
You have Mk2s or mk2? And 8 is original ? Mk2s is technical but i like that , it is less musical than my ex for example, but jus a little but is more impressive technically so with overly technical iem it could sound less full in vocals. This i agree but really better with instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back