DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Feb 13, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #2,776 of 2,804
Temporarily I did this option, but I also ordered Wima FKP2 series 0.015uF/63V 2.5%, should I install from instead of all my silmic?
I didn't like the silmics across the white caps. Too warm for my personal preference. The ES brough some mid color forward. For my preferences the stock board lacked mid color/cohesion/presence and was a bit thick sounding. Not accounting for preference what sounded balanced and timed up for me was always the 1uf ES across the stock white caps plus a 1uf silmic across the green. I briefly found a combo of 2.2 silmic plus bypass caps at the front but still prefer the 1uf overall. the FKP I'm using there is 1500pf and ordered a couple smaller values to test. I think 0.015uf may be a but high there. I'll take a pic.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #2,777 of 2,804
NM. Everything I did here was chasing my tail due to compensating for a loose solder tag that cropped up and changing the voicing from what I originally liked. I only use it sparingly so just thought I had misjudged the bass. Nah, I'm back to stock with added 1uf silmic at the input and 1uf es across the white caps.

Attachments

• IMG_1606.JPG
    IMG_1606.JPG
    944.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #2,778 of 2,804
Hey guys, can anyone help with using PEQ in android mango player. Have never needed EQ or had use for it, but my aune AR5000 lack top end. So is it possible to increase 17k to 22.5k with it, this whole range. The normal eq allowed only 16k band as last and it's not quite high enough. Have it all the way to 12 and had the same for 6.3k and 10k bands. Settled for 10k +5 and 16k +12.
Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #2,779 of 2,804
Hey guys, can anyone help with using PEQ in android mango player. Have never needed EQ or had use for it, but my aune AR5000 lack top end. So is it possible to increase 17k to 22.5k with it, this whole range. The normal eq allowed only 16k band as last and it's not quite high enough. Have it all the way to 12 and had the same for 6.3k and 10k bands. Settled for 10k +5 and 16k +12.
Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Use graphic select custom tap on the line above and increase 16k. It will give a rising response hinged 16k and likely the response that you're looking for since you seem to want a generally rising top end. Graphic is still overall better for general tuning and parametric better to remove hot spots or hollows unless it has a lots of hinge points.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #2,780 of 2,804
Use graphic select custom tap on the line above and increase 16k it will give a rising response hinged 16k and likely the response that your looking for since you seem to want a generally rising top end. Graphic is still overall better for general tuning and parametric better to remove hot spots or hollows unless it has a lots of hinge points.
Thanks, have already tried it, but so far seems no luck with it.
Was hoping to give these some actual sparkle, seems they just can't do any.
Wasn't sure the 16k band did anything for the higher part of frequency range. IMG_20240225_105830.jpgIMG_20240225_105805.jpg

Feb 25, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #2,781 of 2,804
Thanks, have already tried it, but so far seems no luck with it.
Was hoping to give these some actual sparkle, seems they just can't do any.
Wasn't sure the 16k band did anything for the higher part of frequency range.
Are you certain it's way up there that you need? nothing really up there other than some harmonics and difficult to hear.
Unfortunately this also only goes to 16k but you can here (or not) the tone here

https://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #2,782 of 2,804
Are you certain it's way up there that you need? nothing really up there other than some harmonics and difficult to hear.
Unfortunately this also only goes to 16k but you can here (or not) the tone here

https://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/jw/hearing.html
Yes it's exactly the part they're missing compared to my Sennheiser's, well that and general resolution in upper range. If I activate same EQ with my hd540`s almost all the sounds I'm looking for get stay about same while everything else drops down.
Will try to also max 10k one again perhaps that will help, thanks

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #2,783 of 2,804
Thanks @goodvibes the EQ works as you described and does indeed raise the upper frequency above 16k as well once the slider is adjusted.

Feb 25, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #2,784 of 2,804
Thanks @goodvibes the EQ works as you described and does indeed raise the upper frequency above 16k as well once the slider is adjusted.
, Like I'd know, LOL. I'm 69. Took that test I linked. Still clearly get past 12k but no 16k unless it's my computer buds that aren't getting there.. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 8:34 PM Post #2,785 of 2,804
I'm done with amp8mk2 board. Found an tag was intermittent (my fault) and that's what had me question things.

Edited this to show where I ended up. From my messing with all the boards, I've discovered that iBasso is already very good at voicing as I tend to reincorporate some of their bits over other things that may be considered 'better'.

I done, LOL.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #2,786 of 2,804
I'm done with amp8mk2 board. I kept fiddling with the bypass cap on the 1uf silmic at the front and I ended up using the black one from the amp3mod. I have to admit that while I've used pure mango for the exercise, I've defaulted to android mode in use. I've been voicing for pure mango and had a previous great result but I got stuck there and am now overall better this way and DONE. Doesn't mean it's technically better in ANDROID but it works and I couldn't be happier with the result. Can't let my minimalist/purity bias get in my way.
I'm pretty certain that they use a signal dsp for android app to make it sound the way it does. If It had the resolution of mango os would probably go for it and never look back. At Least to me it sounds like that and at least to my ears looses a lot of trebel.
My goal was to get close or better (in mago mode) to how stock sounding amp5mod was in android mode while not loosing anything to digital trickery.
So far have exceeded it in every way. Though still am interested in what more can be done just for tha same of it.

Feb 26, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #2,787 of 2,804
I'm pretty certain that they use a signal dsp for android app to make it sound the way it does. If It had the resolution of mango os would probably go for it and never look back. At Least to me it sounds like that and at least to my ears looses a lot of trebel.
My goal was to get close or better (in mago mode) to how stock sounding amp5mod was in android mode while not loosing anything to digital trickery.
So far have exceeded it in every way. Though still am interested in what more can be done just for tha same of it.
I had just got it done before the last post and to be honest I don't always prefer Andriod and can get a bit of buffer fill in Mango by activating things like repeat and gapless which is what it needed. Easy to hear the subtle effect of those now. Also depends on the quality of material. With Andriod I leave the options off for best transparency, I highly doubt that there's any sort of DSP goinf on in android mode and that what you're hearing is required additional buffers and system interaction etc. I only use filter 5 in either. It has always sounded the most right to me. I had a short visit with 6 on an overly warm voicing.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #2,788 of 2,804
I had just got it done with the last post and to be honest I don't always prefer Andriod and can get a bit of buffer fill in Mango by activating things like repeat and gapless. Easy to hear the subtle effect of those now. Also depends on the quality of material. With Andriod, I highly doubt that there's any sort of DSP and that you're hearing required additional buffers etc. I only use filter 5. It has always sounded the most right to me. I had a short visit with 6 on an overly warm voicing.
Could be it's android itself or the extra process. But then neutron wouldn't sound so different than mango player. Atleast that's my thinking here. By the way have you tried neutron player in android mode, what are your thoughts and impressions if you have?
My biggest gripe with it is terrible us and song sorting problems if you navigate by albums.
Personally prefer filter 1, find it has the most extended highs , biggest sound stage. Full spectrum without any colourations.
Next after that would be filter 2. The slow roll of version. This to me sounds like filter one, but highs are seriously cut off, the very top just inst there anymore. But you get more depth in soundstage, everything is closer together, what you lose in width is gained in depth. Vocals and base have extra attention to them, base is more rounded and bit more boasted sounding.
Completely dislike filters 3 and 4, they do in some weird ways improve imaging and stage on lower end phones and speakers, like more in your face. But it completely ruins top end of spectrum, find it sounds very unnatural and coloured. These have again lost some width and gained some depth in return.
Filter 5. Width has been sacrificed for depth again.
Frequency response ses pretty much same as filter 2, perhaps bit less attention to base than filter 2. In this way sounds more like filter 1. But I hear a kind of border around every sound, or rather outline that just isn't supposed to be there. It almost sounds like cutouts of sounds out into one frame. Find it very weird experience.
Filter 6. Now this is interesting, like wow, it really has no pre ringing and has pretty good frequency response without the colouration filters 3 or 4 add.
Find this whole different listening experience. Is my 3rd favourite filter.
Filter 7. Seems like filter 2 but with very organic sound colouration and even more width has gone towards depth of soundstage.
All my tuning has been done to make filter 1 pretty much perfect for my phone's and ears.

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #2,789 of 2,804
Could be it's android itself or the extra process. But then neutron wouldn't sound so different than mango player. Atleast that's my thinking here. By the way have you tried neutron player in android mode, what are your thoughts and impressions if you have?
My biggest gripe with it is terrible us and song sorting problems if you navigate by albums.
Personally prefer filter 1, find it has the most extended highs , biggest sound stage. Full spectrum without any colourations.
Next after that would be filter 2. The slow roll of version. This to me sounds like filter one, but highs are seriously cut off, the very top just inst there anymore. But you get more depth in soundstage, everything is closer together, what you lose in width is gained in depth. Vocals and base have extra attention to them, base is more rounded and bit more boasted sounding.
Completely dislike filters 3 and 4, they do in some weird ways improve imaging and stage on lower end phones and speakers, like more in your face. But it completely ruins top end of spectrum, find it sounds very unnatural and coloured. These have again lost some width and gained some depth in return.
Filter 5. Width has been sacrificed for depth again.
Frequency response ses pretty much same as filter 2, perhaps bit less attention to base than filter 2. In this way sounds more like filter 1. But I hear a kind of border around every sound, or rather outline that just isn't supposed to be there. It almost sounds like cutouts of sounds out into one frame. Find it very weird experience.
Filter 6. Now this is interesting, like wow, it really has no pre ringing and has pretty good frequency response without the colouration filters 3 or 4 add.
Find this whole different listening experience. Is my 3rd favourite filter.
Filter 7. Seems like filter 2 but with very organic sound colouration and even more width has gone towards depth of soundstage.
All my tuning has been done to make filter 1 pretty much perfect for my phone's and ears.
All the players claim available bit perfectness(because that part is true) but sound different. Hiby, UAPP etc sound different from each other as well even when you turn off all the upsampling and other enhancements etc. The dac playback circuit effectively oversamples anyway. Bit perfect is an audio misnomer in terms of repeatable identical audible performance via different paths/players etc. Every decent bit perfect server program I've heard sounds different with the exact same file.

I use a Naim Uniti Core as server (and player, tremendous dig out) at home and it sounds better than Minimserver in my Synology that sounds better than Plex on my PC that sounds better than Roon (very slightly glassy imo). The best player I've heard in a PC was what's included in a mixing program named Soundlab.

I would prefer it the other way around with it all sounding perfect and the same as it would be so much easier and I understand why many will think I'm crazy without a provable explanation for this. You probably need to be a tweak with really good home kit to notice but they're important differences to me. All IMO and won't debate in this thread, LOL.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #2,790 of 2,804
All the players claim available bit perfectness(because that part is true) and sound different. Hiby, UAPP etc sound different from each other as well even when you turn off all the upsampling and other enhancements etc. The dac playback circuit effectively oversamples anyway. Bit perfect is an audio misnomer in terms of repeatable identical audible performance via different paths/players etc. Every decent bit perfect server program I've heard sounds different with the exact same file.

I use a Naim Corre as server (and player, tremendous dig out) at home and it sounds better than Minimserver in my Synology that sounds better than Plex on my PC that sounds better than Roon. The best plyer I've heard in a PC was what's included in a mixing program named Soundlab. I would prefer it the other way around as it would be so much easier and I understand why many will think I'm crazy with out a provable reason for this. You probably need to be a tweak with really good home kit to notice but they're important differences to me. All IMO and won't debate in this thread, LOL.
Hey wouldn't disagree with your observations there myself.
Know how different each app sounds on pc myself. And thanks for suggesting soundlab (when finally get to rebuild my pc will need a goo playback app).
Believe last thing was using when still played with pc was HQplayer.
Till then all my listening is done with my dx240.
Thanks for your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back