DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Feb 4, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #2,761 of 2,804
I was thinking if this combination will be good with mk2s as i was looking what iem to get. mp145 was on my radar.

You have Mk2s or mk2? And 8 is original ? Mk2s is technical but i like that , it is less musical than my ex for example, but jus a little but is more impressive technically so with overly technical iem it could sound less full in vocals. This i agree but really better with instruments.
Thanks
I confirm I have amp8 MK2 and original amp8, but I have to say that I come from a Fiio M15, smoother than the dx248... according to my ears :wink:

That say, with dx248mk2 wich filter would be the best filter to listen a fuller sound ?

Feb 4, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #2,762 of 2,804
Thanks
I confirm I have amp8 MK2 and original amp8, but I have to say that I come from a Fiio M15, smoother than the dx248... according to my ears :wink:

That say, with dx248mk2 wich filter would be the best filter to listen a fuller sound ?
  • Filter 2 (slow roll-off, linear) – deeper bass, more body in lower mids, overall a little thicker low end.
  • Filter 3 (fast roll-off, minimum) – deeper bass with tighter control and faster speed.
  • Filter 4 (slow roll-off, minimum) – deeper bass with tighter control but the speed is slower.
But differences will be hardly noticeable.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #2,764 of 2,804
On the advice of the respected connect2812, today I bought Hidizs mp145 headphones, I was pleasantly surprised, wonderful bass, airy high frequencies, IBasso DX240 amp8mk2s, I usually use more expensive headphones, but here there was a wow effect, I highly recommend
Dear friend, I have been experiencing this effect for a few days now, no desire to go back to the $1000 balanced armature either. It is strange and incredible at the same time

Feb 5, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #2,765 of 2,804
Dear friend, I have been experiencing this effect for a few days now, no desire to go back to the $1000 balanced armature either. It is strange and incredible at the same time
I absolutely agree, today I’ve been enjoying music with these headphones almost all day, I even hid my expensive headphones, thanks for the advice

Feb 6, 2024 at 4:32 AM Post #2,768 of 2,804
Figured I'd share my dx240 mod here.
So far find amp5mod the best stock amp ibasso have made and it pairs fantastic with dx240.
That being said, in a stock form it has quite a few issues, main being sharp bass and metallic/ distorted/grainy top end. Vocals are pretty good, if not a bit veiled. Stage is very good and layering as well, depth is a bit lacking and general resolution is not quite there.
So with all that in mind start d to mod my amp5mod, first just the electrolytic caps. Changed both nichicons for audio note kasei non polar ones of same capacity. The Siemens got changed for audio note standard 470uf25v. Left the film caps stock as I like what they do to sound.
This was pretty good in general improvement in every aspect ex is perhaps bass, was still to sharp and one dimensional. Voices where not quite there yet either and so was treble. But quite a lot nicer and natural sound.
So after a bit of use like this, couple of months.
Decided am not yet satisfied with it's sound performance so ordered some kemet polymer tantalum capacitors, same ones @Whitigir suggested for use in previous ibasso mods of his.
So got 22uf10v and 100uf10v ones to replace in the amp5mod and if any then in my dx240 as well
Know solder job isn't nearly best I have done but with my caveman tools was best could master.
Ended up changin all but two taltalum caps in my amp5mod for the kemets and 4 tantalum caps inside the main player to 100uf10v kemet ones.
And finally have the sound was hoping for and expecting. Have had this done since Christmas, so barely over 200hour on it.
Absolutely all grain is gone, so is any kind of noise floor, background seems completely black. Bass has absolutely no sharpness to it, sound natural, real and properly rounded and textured.
Mids and vocals have a veil lifted from them with quite more nuances, incredible clarity.
And treble, f**" yeah, sparkle and crystal clarity without any deficiencies. The graininess is completely gone, everything is well rendered placed in proper place, with impeccable imaging. Layering is a lot better as well so is stage in all dimensions especially the depth and height. Sounds move around a lot more now and separation is on another level.
Basically even better results than when going from dx220 to dx220ex.
Though have a bit more caps to change on the other side of Mainboard. And two caps where I don't know their size on my amp5mod. Perhaps someone knows what value are the two black ones on bottom of amp5mod? IMG_20240103_193329.jpgmain body before
And afterIMG_20240103_195913.jpgIMG_20240103_195753.jpg
And the amp5mod IMG_20231228_223414.jpgIMG_20231228_223422.jpg

In this one on actually put one tantalum cap the wrong way around, was a bit of a surprise turning it on and having one channel a lot weaker than the other, but quick check solved the issue, just resoldered it correct way around and all is good.
IMG_20231228_212330.jpg

IMG_20231228_212325.jpg

Perhaps someone knows what caps are on the other side of player main board? Didn't want to pull it out when had it disassembled last time,didn't want toess with thermal compound on that side.

Attachments

• IMG_20231228_212355_1.jpg
    IMG_20231228_212355_1.jpg
    882.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 6, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #2,770 of 2,804
Perhaps someone knows that size and voltage caps are these. Suspect the j8jn tantalums to be 220uf 6.3v. Have no idea about the ceramics though.IMG_20240206_142526.jpg

Feb 8, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #2,771 of 2,804
I just put a 1uf Nichicon es across front of what's there on amp 5 and was very happy with the result. Gave the added natural color I felt it needed. I never found the highs strident but the sound a bit dry overall. It was well voiced from the factory.

On another note I changed the input of may amp8mk2 again. The 1uf silmic there across what came from the factory was still too warm. II pulled all the bits there and am now using a 2.2uf silmic with a .1uf polyester ( I know but it voiced well:gs1000smile:) with a 470pf styrene.

Feb 12, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #2,774 of 2,804
This is very interesting, I also have some silmic and nichicon caps, I would really like to see a photo to understand where to solder the caps
1707746924062.png

This board has been through the ringer as it's had more than a few do overs. The 2 green dry caps at the front have been removed and replaced with a 1500pf fkp2. It may finally be done but I have a 1200 and 1000pf on the way to try in place of the 1500 for kicks.

You can try this 1st. I liked it a lot but still a little weighty though it was more balanced and connected through the mids and top than stock. I found the ES sounded a hair different depending on direction. Can't tell which way that was or if that would settle over time but put them in the same direction even though they're bipolar. I preferred the slightly more mid prominent direction at this stage. All the wet caps should be 1uf.

I almost killed my board this last time as I had the dreaded solder drop on the tracks from when I was cleaning a contact, not actual soldering. cleaned it up but now a few are silver, LOL.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #2,775 of 2,804

This board has been through the ringer as it's had more than a few do overs. The 2 green dry caps at the front have been removed and replaced with a 1500pf fkp2. It may finally be done but I have a 1200 and 1000pf on the way to try in place of the 1500 for kicks.

You can try this 1st. I liked it a lot but still a little weighty though it was more balanced and connected through the mids and top than stock. I found the ES sounded a hair different depending on direction. Can't tell which way that was or if that would settle over time but put them in the same direction even though they're bipolar. I preferred the slightly more mid prominent direction at this stage. All the wet caps should be 1uf.

I almost killed my board this last time as I had the dreaded solder drop on the tracks from when I was cleaning a contact, not actual soldering. cleaned it up but now a few are silver, LOL.
Temporarily I did this option, but I also ordered Wima FKP2 series 0.015uF/63V 2.5%, should I install from instead of all my silmic?

Attachments

• photo_2024-02-13 11.02.08.jpeg
    photo_2024-02-13 11.02.08.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back