DX240 DAP. DAC ES9038PRO - NEW: AMP8MK2S .****** NEW Firmware! 2.01 *******
Jan 11, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #2,732 of 2,804
Has anyone compared the sound of the dx240 or dx320 with the fiio Q7 and smartphone?
Thank's in advance

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #2,734 of 2,804
Smartphones plus DAC/amps just aren't as good as a VG all in DAP. They're wonderful/convenient devices but if you're critical, a very good DAP will always win and those are, at the least, very good daps.
Thank's you for your reply. I meant using a smartphone in conjunction with this device: https://www.fiio.com/q7
I have had many different DAPs, the standard of portable sound for me is Lotoo PAW Gold. Now I use dx240 (amp1, amp5 mod). But I've never used portable DAC/amps and I wonder how they sound compared to DAPs.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #2,735 of 2,804
Thank's you for your reply. I meant using a smartphone in conjunction with this device: https://www.fiio.com/q7
I have had many different DAPs, the standard of portable sound for me is Lotoo PAW Gold. Now I use dx240 (amp1, amp5 mod). But I've never used portable DAC/amps and I wonder how they sound compared to DAPs.
I know what you meant. The weak link is the phone and interface. Probably a great device for home use with cans but you can't make what the phone does, better. You can only try to keep all that's there. There's preference and voicing etc that may have you prefer something over another but I've had things like both Hugo's on a phone and I'd take a dx240 every time. I have also owned an LPG and prefer my tweaked DX240.

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #2,737 of 2,804
@Paul - iBasso , why does the dx240 in mango mode drain the battery faster than in android mode. On dx200 it was the opposite, or the same
In Android, certain systems can be shut off but in Mango, they can't be because Android is not used, so a little more current/power is used.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 17, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #2,738 of 2,804
That sounds counterintuitive since you're not using the antenna's etc plus no large list of system apps running. I guess the Mango OS could just be less efficient but still have less background interference from additional apps. Is it idle systems of the chip sets etc that you're referring to? I do feel like Pure Mango get blacker when all my ducks are in a row.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #2,739 of 2,804
Has anyone compared the sound of the dx240 or dx320 with the fiio Q7 and smartphone?
Thank's in advance
I just got to conclusion that dx240 with amp mk2s amps is as complete audio device as it could be from all view points i could imagine. Sound, convenience, size, power, design. As a small portable device for me it is pinnacle of what ibasso already made. Don know about dx260 - time will tell but at the moment don't have any urge to upgrade to anything. Had once for 320 but after mk2s amp it also faded :)
And could not imagine scenarios when i would like to use more bigger separate devices such q7 and additionally mobile phone who is drained by these separate device instead of all in one solution. This is not portable enough for me and even at using at home it is not better solution. Of course there are many more opinions and work scenarios so for other it could seem like good alternative. Not for me. But if only looking at sound you need really full separate desktop stack to get small differences in pure quality and usually still not worth in my opinion for what you are paying. It for really audio hobbyist or big cans users with a need for more powerful amps. With q7 you will not get better sound, only differently Fiio tuned version of it because at technical level they quite close, from what i have heard and for my ears. Ibasso newer was weak in technical sound aspects, (IMO with dx240 and original amp it was a little bit weaker) but with current last amps it is as good as it can be. I only see point from q7 if you need to taste different tuning with different coloration for different iems or bigger cans but not for sound quality "upgrade" as you will not get it. :)

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:44 AM Post #2,740 of 2,804
I doubt anyone cares at this point but I'm still trying different 1uF caps at the input of the amp8mk2. I use 1uf ES across the white bypass caps and really like those there. I've been using a silmic 1uf at the input across the green solids and it offers great timing, perspective and musicality but it's a hair warm which is likely simply a characteristic of the board. I've tried FW, FG, ES and day before yesterday a ROA. This one is tonally really good but it lacks the musicality and refinement of the silmic in that position/association. Going back to the silmic and calling it a day . A touch warm but plenty dynamic and actually more informative/rhythmic that brighter options because things fall nicely into place and it's easier to hear in. I will always opt for goodness over a very minor tonal character preference if that character is not distracting from perspective, timing or information and in this case it seems to actually add to that. It's also a great match for my S8 (comply tips are required) with $40 silver litz cable, LOL. Combo punches way above it's investment.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 9:47 AM Post #2,741 of 2,804
I doubt anyone cares at this point but I'm still trying different 1uF caps at the input of the amp8mk2. I use 1uf ES across the white bypass caps and really like those there. I've been using a silmic 1uf at the input across the green solids and it offers great timing, perspective and musicality but it's a hair warm which is likely simply a characteristic of the board. I've tried FW, FG, ES and day before yesterday a ROA. This one is tonally really good but it lacks the musicality and refinement of the silmic in that position/association. Going back to the silmic and calling it a day . A touch warm but plenty dynamic and actually more informative/rhythmic that brighter options because things fall nicely into place and it's easier to hear in. I will always opt for goodness over a very minor tonal character preference if that character is not distracting from perspective, timing or information and in this case it seems to actually add to that. It's also a great match for my S8 (comply tips are required) with $40 silver litz cable, LOL. Combo punches way above it's investment.
I am glad to see you are still playing around. A lot of people under-rate the effects of different capacitors can bring.

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #2,742 of 2,804
I am glad to see you are still playing around. A lot of people under-rate the effects of different capacitors can bring.
And don't get the bypass timing aspects at all. I felt amp 8 mk2 was always about connecting the dots without adding a lot of extra capacitance. Other amp 8s may have been different. It's sort of find the value that bypasses with good time and perspective or go completely the other way and add a lot or change the capacitance. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #2,743 of 2,804
Wish i understood 1 % of what you are doing. But it really interesting to see your work and how it could influence sound. My way of changing it cost much more :D but i am happy with ibasso choices made of their engineers. I would really wanted to know from your perspective am8 mk2s evaluation but as i remember you had no possibility to listen it, or i am wrong

Jan 23, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #2,744 of 2,804
Everything I read indicates the the DX260 has bridged the tweaker gap, LOL. It's kinda nice these guys do it themselves. There last 2 boards, Amp5mod and amp8mk2s were extremely well received by the tweakers. I added a 1uf es to the input side of amp5mod and called it a day. Really well voiced but I just wanted a hair more color. I still default to my amp8 but amp5 is really good and these guys have shown that they're become really, really good at voicing.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #2,745 of 2,804
Everything I read indicates the the DX260 has bridged the tweaker gap, LOL. It's kinda nice these guys do it themselves. There last 2 boards, Amp5mod and amp8mk2s were extremely well received by the tweakers. I added a 1uf es to the input side of amp5mod and called it a day. Really well voiced but I just wanted a hair more color. I still default to my amp8 but amp5 is really good and these guys are have shown that they're become really, really good at voicing.
that is why the love for Ibasso continue to grow in me. I see the trend of manufacturers climbing up in prices VS Ibasso who is following their heart desires (audio performances) and the increased in prices is just a result of their increased developments and expenses costs which make me feel that Ibasso first thoughts is Audio performances and Pricing is a second thought afterward

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back